Popular Tags: [View All]
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm essentially looking for recommendations for game stores between the two cities. I've been to a few game stores in Seattle but not Portland. I don't really do the miniatures/ warhammer stuff, so a plain old board game store would be great.

Stores with used or clearance games would be ideal as I am on a budget for this trip!

I've looked over a few other threads similar to this but have no clue if all of those stores are still around or if there are some new ones that have popped up.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Faber
United States
Kirkland
Wa
flag msg tools
I threw a boomerang a few years ago...
badge
I now live in constant fear.
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncles Games in Redmond Town Center is a really good choice. Good clearance rack and a HUGE selection of games.

Green Lake Games is supposed to be pretty good as well. I myself haven't been there yet, but I keep hearing good things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a previous post on this for Portland gaming:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/333203/best-game-stores-in-p...

I personally know of a few that are good stores:

Guardian Games (Portland)
Bridgetown Hobbies and Games (Portland)
Red Castle Games (Portland)
Dice Age Games (Vancouver, WA)
Epic Gaming (Milwaukie, OR)
Cloud Cap Games (Portland)

Hope you enjoy Portland.
JW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Seattle I would recommend going to Card Kingdom in Ballard. They have food and drink service with 50+ demo games for use in the store and while you eat. This place has won awards for best flgs and its definitely worth a stop if your in the area.

If you find yourself just north of Seattle in Edmonds, I would check out Otherworlds. Its a newer store but with a unique assortment of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Card Kingdom looks incredible judging by the Yelp photos.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Portland and Seatlle guilds are a good place to start.

Local Brick & Mortar Stores
Portland, OR, USA

I'll 2nd http://www.cardkingdom.com/ is game heaven

Rainy day games http://www.rainy-day-games.com/ was my hang out in Portland. They also do frisbee golf , so they could get you ready to visit the grand lodge http://www.mcmenamins.com a combo, brewery, hotel, Disc golf course....

Blue highway games http://www.bluehighwaygames.com is a very nice store too.

Looking for 2nd hand/ wargames http://garysgamesandhobbies.com

And the deep discounter cardhaus/boardgamehaus has a small store front in the area www.cardhaus.com

There are many more place too, I'd also look for places games are played, the are many fine establishment you'll find people playing. Also the goodwill/thrift store in the area are ledgendary on the Thrifting guilds.

Also no sales tax in Oregon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I think i have everything picked out now. I had no idea that Cardhaus had a retail store. I imagine getting some great deals regardless of store size.

Mcmenamins is great. We visited the school last time we were in Portland and loved it. This will be our third visit to the city but the first time I'll have a chance to shop for games. The best part about traveling to Portland is that most of the dining is relatively cheap yet amazing to eat. Plus, everyone there has been ridiculously friendly... as evident by this thread.

Thanks again guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Clayberg
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Epic Gaming (Milwaukie, OR)

Do they make epic beer too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
Mcmenamins is great. We visited the school last time we were in Portland and loved it.

McMenamins isn't actually a single place - the brothers have a number of restaurants, hotels, and event locations operating under that banner. Most of the time in revitalized older buildings (a few theaters, some schools - including an old Catholic school down in Bend - an old Freemason lodge and a poor farm in the collection, etc). So while the food at the locations is definitely so-so for the Portland area (better than most of the country still, though), the range of properties they have definitely makes them an interesting local chain to hit up different spots in. And their beers are pretty good, too, which is always nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
attilathejund wrote:
Mcmenamins is great. We visited the school last time we were in Portland and loved it.

McMenamins isn't actually a single place - the brothers have a number of restaurants, hotels, and event locations operating under that banner. Most of the time in revitalized older buildings (a few theaters, some schools - including an old Catholic school down in Bend - an old Freemason lodge and a poor farm in the collection, etc). So while the food at the locations is definitely so-so for the Portland area (better than most of the country still, though), the range of properties they have definitely makes them an interesting local chain to hit up different spots in. And their beers are pretty good, too, which is always nice!
Err yeah, I guess I should have elaborated a bit better. Last time I was in Portland, we kept seeing McMenamins on just about everything in town so I asked about it and kind of got the same spiel you just told me. In fact, part of the reason I am going to these cities is to see a concert at one the McMenamins venues.

Can't help but wonder how much money that family has!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go to Greenlake Games for sure! Blue Highway in queen Anne is nice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of two places in between that you should really check out:

In Tacoma, head to www.thegamematrix.com - They have a good selection of board, miniatures, and role-playing games (plus a big open gaming area if you have time to hang out & play something). They also carry a variety of other odds & ends, like LARP boffer weapons and a nice rack of Osprey books.

In Lacey, you MUST stop in at www.olympiccardsandcomics.com - This place beats out every game store I've seen in Washington state! It's the size of a warehouse, half of it filled with comics & collectibles, the other half overflowing with gamey goodness. There's a large wall of used RPG items on the cheap, a big section of indie games, and gaming tables galore mostly filled with terrain for miniatures gaming. The board games are a bit spread out, but there are a LOT of them. Definitely worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The list of stores on the Portland Guild page is regularly updated and has links to each store. I recommend Guardian Games and Rainy Day Games. If you're into miniatures, add Bridgetown to the list. Most of the other stores are nice but smaller.

The list of open invitation game nights on that page is also current. Thursday at Lucky Lab and alternating Sundays at Guardian and Rainy Day are the largest events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fernandez
China
Hangzhou
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Olympia, which is along I-5 from Seattle to Portland, there is Olympic Cards and Comics. The biggest and best comic/gaming store crom PDX and Seattle hands down. http://www.olympiccardsandcomics.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Adkins
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I second Guardian and based on this thread I really ought to check rainy day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm a very useful thread as I'll be moving up to Portland at the end of the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:

Stores with used or clearance games would be ideal as I am on a budget for this trip!

Both Guardian Games and Rainy Day Games now have used game sections. If you come for any of the Guardian Boardgame Meetups and play, the store offers a 20% discount on most titles on that day. The next Guardian Meetup is August 19th.

Either store offers a great selection of titles. And not to take anything away from our Washington brethren, but Oregon has no sales tax. That's why you'll see plenty of Washington people shopping here!

Enjoy your visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say thanks because I came out like a bandit. A special thanks to those who recommended Guardian Games because I found the very sought after Space Alert in the used section. It showed up just today too so I am super fortunate with my timing. 2 people even commented that I lucked out. I also picked up Village there as well which is equally awesome. So yeah, thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, want to thank folks for their recommendations here. I'm in Seattle for a day and managed to hit Uncle games, Blue Highway, and Other Worlds. Picked up some great stuff, and was wowed by how much larger their selections were than our stores in MD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary's Games in Seattle on Greenlake and Games and Gizmos in Bellevue for the seattle area for sure. Err did you get a tour of Wizards of the Coast headquarters while you were in Seattle? Seattle is, afterall, home to some of hte largest gaming manfacuturers both board and computer in the US, including, WoTC, Flying Frog, and nintendo

Portland, i konw this is not gaming related but they do have a games section, you must go by POWEL:S Bookstore, if for no other reason than it is the largest independent bookstore in the world is covers 5 blocks and everyone should experience it once or twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valairia wrote:
Portland, i konw this is not gaming related but they do have a games section, you must go by POWEL:S Bookstore, if for no other reason than it is the largest independent bookstore in the world is covers 5 blocks and everyone should experience it once or twice.

I live 7 blocks from Powell's and agree it is an amazing place to visit although I'm not sure where you heard it covers 5 blocks. I think they recently changed their buyer for games because their selection grew significantly over the past year including games like Virgin Queen, Earth Reborn, War of the Ring, Super Dungeon Explore, Dreadfleet, Leader 1: Hell of the North, etc. The only problem with Powells is their prices are sky high. They will sometimes DOUBLE what you can find on an online game store, Amazon, or here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful