Subject: Technology Sets for each Faction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been able to convince my fantasy-leaning game buddies to try my AH copy of Nexus Ops and suffice to say, it's a hit.

As many before me have done so, I got to thinking about how cool it would be for each faction to have abilities to differentiate them.

I owe some inspiration to these 2 threads especially the idea that each faction represents a certain archtypical sci-fi enterprise:
Special Faction Powers - users drpetrov, marhawkman & talusproteus.
Variant Faction Powers - user amodman.

I decided to compile some of the good ideas posted and add some myself to create a set of 4 thematically-linked technologies for each faction. Each faction would randomly select their technology power at the start of the game. These powers have been designed with the original AH unit abilities in mind.

Black Helix (BH) - specializes in human cloning technology.

BH1 - DNA Labs: For each Human in your HQ spaces, you may recruit 1 Human at a cost of 1 Rubium instead of 2.

BH2 - DNA Extractor: For each enemy Human defeated in battle, you gain 1 Rubium.

BH3 - DNA Recycler: At the end of each turn, place 1 Human in your HQ space for every 2 of your Humans killed on that turn, rounded down.

BH4 - DNA Splitter: For each Human that you have in a non-HQ controlled space, you may deploy 1 newly recruited(cloned) Human in the same space.

Zyborg Technologies (ZT) - specializes in cyborg technologies that artifically enhance humans.

ZT1 - Battle-borg: During battle, your Humans hit on roll of 5+.

ZT2 - Miner-borg: At the start of your turn, gain 1 extra Rubium for each non-HQ controlled space with a mine and at least 1 of your Humans.

ZT3 - Terra-borg: Your Humans may enter Magma Pool spaces and the Monolith.

ZT4 - Wheeled-borg: Your Humans may move 2 spaces as long as they are moving through uncontested spaces that have been explored.

Galactic Syndicate (GS) - specializes in criminal endeavours.

GS1 - Counterfeiters: For every 2 Rubium (round down) that remains unspent after you purchase units on your turn, immediately gain 1 Rubium.

GS2 - Poachers: After recruiting units, you may deploy 1 Fungoid in a liquifungus forest or 1 Crystalline in a crystal spires space that you control.

GS3 - Slavers: After winning a battle in a contested space, you may place 1 Human in that space for each enemy Human defeated in that battle.

GS4 - Smugglers: Your mining units are able to mine in any space where you have more units than any other player.

Ares Inc. (AI) - specializes in military-purposed technology.

AI1 - Plasma Troopers: When making an attack, Humans in adjacent uncontested spaces may fire as if they are in the battle, but only if they have not fired this turn. Humans firing from adjacent hexes may not be removed as casualties in that battle.

AI2 - Shock Troopers: Your Humans attack first in any battle that you initiated.

AI3 - War Beasts: For each battle where you have at least 1 Human involved, you may re-roll 1 set of attack dice in the following order of choice - Strider, Lava Leaper, Rubium Dragon. You must take the 2nd result.

AI4 - War Mounts: Your Striders, Lava Leapers and Rubium Dragons may carry along any number of your Humans on the same space when they move. Any Human unit may not benefit twice from this ability in a single turn.

Comments/feedback welcome!

Edit 1: ZT1's power name & AI2 text.
Edit 2: GS4's text.
Edit 3: GS4 reworded.
Edit 4: GS2's text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AI2 sounds incredibly powerful.AI1, too, to a lesser extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I likes it. And having more than one power available means that you don't have to worry about certain powers being more powerful than others; people can just choose a different power that adapts well to their playing style.

Sounds like we need some playtesting and then for someone to create a nice file for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heruca wrote:
AI2 - I was thinking a 6 to hit first strike would only be mildly useful. Perhaps the following qualifier can be added - "Your Humans attack first in any battle initiated by you".

AI1 - This was one of the powers from the earlier threads. I think it should be fine given that they have been tried before. I did try to reduce the fiddliness of having to track which Human has fired but couldn't come up with any good ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heruca wrote:
I agree about AI2. I think AI1 is fine since it means those units can't attack in their own spaces.

For AI2, I think you could have the humans attack on the same turn as the rock striders and that'd be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
heruca wrote:
AI2 - I was thinking a 6 to hit first strike would only be mildly useful. Perhaps the following qualifier can be added - "Your Humans attack first in any battle initiated by you".
That's also a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
AI2 - I was thinking a 6 to hit first strike would only be mildly useful.
Not if you spawn humans by the dozen, or even half dozen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe... you moved them around!

Black Helix:
1 Similar to Amodman's idea. good
2 toned down version of my DNA collection power. this ability definately works though.
3 Petrov's Zyborg power. It's definately a good one.
4 DNA Splitter, interesting new power. You have to play the recruitment cost right? So it's a modification of where you can recruit them? Cool.

Zyborg Technologies
1 Kinda like Amodman's idea. cool
2 hm... decent replacement for the rapid development power I came up with.
3 my idea for Ares. enh, works here.
4 Enh, not bad.

Galactic Syndicate
1 Petrov's original GS power, and it's still good.
2 nice new power, you do pay for it right?
3 odd power, are the humans free? either way it's a very situational power. sounds ok.
4 Why specify 1? It's a pretty situational power. Nice idea though.

Ares Inc.
1 Petrov's artillery
2 neat idea.
3 the idea you posted in Amodman's thread, works.
4 decent modification of Amodman's Ares idea

Aww.... you dumped my Cyber Augmentation power. Why? I liked it. (And that's after playtesting)
And you dumped rapid development...

It's not that I'm offended, but I am kinda curious as to your reasons.

EDIT: wow... 6 posts while I was typing.
I don't see AI2 as being too strong. it's still a 6 to hit. sure there are ways to exploit it, but it's not that powerful IMO. The idea of making it offense only works though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was important to have a clearly defined identity for each faction and wanted each power to have a strong thematic connection to the identity both in name and function. With the identity established, the mapping of powers almost automatically fell into place.

Please don't think that I intentionally "dumped" any previous ideas. For Galactic Syndicate, I couldn't think up any more powers for a financial enterprise. Once I used the concept of a criminal enterprise instead, ideas started popping up.

For the Combat-borg (think I will rename to Battle-borg), I had to choose between Cyber Augmentation and amodman's idea. In the end, a simple modification of the latter looked like a great fit conceptually.

DNA Splitter & Poachers - yes, you need to pay the cost.

Slavers - yes, the Humans are "free" coz you enslaved the defeated Humans.

Smugglers - I wanted to limit any potential imbalance that a lucky exploration of "2" mines would cause.

Thanks for the comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when I was doing Syndicate powers I used the idea of them being an unscrupulous corporation that was willing to break the law any time they thought they could get away with it.

anyways, this looks cool to me.

For GS4, hmm... is it meant to work even if you don't have miners in the sector? If so I can see the 1 point restriction being needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
For GS4, hmm... is it meant to work even if you don't have miners in the sector? If so I can see the 1 point restriction being needed.
It's supposed to be similar to the power I suggested in amodman's thread but I think I mangled it.
"At the start of your turn, collect 1 Rubium from each contested mine space where you have at least 1 humanoid and no other enemy has more units than you on that space".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's what I thought.

Hmm... maybe rephrase as:
You mining units are able to mine in any sector where you have more units than any other player.

This way it bends less rules. I kinda doubt it'd be over powered in that form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
You mining units are able to mine in any sector where you have more units than any other player.
Beautifully concise! I will use your wording, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a draft sample card:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good! what are the other abilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
Looks good! what are the other abilities?
Thanks. The faction techs are all listed in the OP. I'm in process of making the other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the tech set for Galactic Syndicate. Just realized the faction color is wrong. blush

SEE BELOW FOR THE COLOR-CORRECTED IMAGE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the tech set for Ares Inc. I've adjusted the Commandos so that they attack with the same priority as Rubium Dragons and not before. I'm also wondering if War Beasts should allow rerolls for Fungoid, Crystalline and Striders instead. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the tech set for Zyborg Technologies. I'm wondering if the Battle Borg is overpowered. Was thinking of restricting it to Rocky Plains and HQ spaces. Any comments? (Thematic reason being that the other terrain have too much obstruction for their projectile weapons to be effective)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, here is Black Helix. I felt the original DNA Extractor was vulnerable to the opponent keeping all their humans away from you. I've changed it to the new DNA Harvester.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the color-corrected pic for Galactic Syndicate. I nerfed the Poacher slightly so that it requires a human unit in the controlled space in order to deploy the Fungoid or Crystalline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, more love for AH version please. Thanks for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've gone through them quickly, but they seem usable with FFG edition too (the one I own)...?

Are you/others going to test these abilities, or have you tested them already? What is the purpose of the 4 cards, you draw only 1 at the start of the game for variety, or you have the 4 and can use them only once...?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! These cards are usable with both AH & FFG but not the variant units in the FFG edition.

You can select or randomly draw 1 card for your chosen faction, the ability will be in play throughout the game.

Some of these abilities are taken or adapted from earlier threads which have discussed their viability. The rest are my own based on play experience and limited testing, with help from talusproteus and marhawkman on the wording. Certainly I've not been able to test every combination of powers that is possible. I'm going through them one more time and will then post the link to an artscow album.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |