Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
litho chong
Taiwan
Hsinchu city
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another site down?!!!
Oh, I've been visiting that site everyday. And now, it is following the footstep of The Games Journal....

http://www.gamefest.com/news/news_detail/3380_0_4_0_C/

Quote:

"I'm sorry to have to tell you all this, but it looks like Gamewire is coming to an end. While this has been a tremendously rewarding experience for me, I'm simply unable to continue spending all my time on something that pays very little, if any, money.

I'd like to thank the Gamefest people for allowing me to do a job that I loved doing for the last two years, and I'd like to thank everyone who has visited Gamewire and all those who have posted or emailed me with their compliments - it was very much appreciated.

Rick Thornquist"

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Bookman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crycrycrycrycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Waters
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! Thanks for some great articles, Rick. And for the amazingly well kept "Gone Cardboard."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
Double bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

Thanks for everything, Rick.

It was appreciated greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, My!

I am sorry to see him go. I can see where he is coming from. What he did for the community was an extreme amount of work.

Let me just say that we all appreciate what Rick did for the community for years.

crycry

Edit: I give the thread a thumbs up in his honor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick,

I'm really going to miss the Gamewire--you did a fantastic job with it. Good luck with future endeavors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit, I just found it a month ago. It was my GOTO when the Geek got stale. Thanks for the great content, and best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick OBrien
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sorry to hear this, Rick, but good luck with new opportunities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like to thank Rick for painstakingly tracking upcoming games, giving his opinion on new games, etc. Also thank Adam at gamefest for sponsoring gamewire for past couple years even though I've only read it past 3 or so months (I'm new to boardgaming).

If I was semi-wealthy I'd hire Rick myself to continue on game reporting but sadly I'm not. Hopefully Rick will find another avenue to continue his tremendous talent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
My condolences to Rick Thornquist. He's clearly a much better journalist than I could ever hope to be, and he's drop dead sexy. The good news is he'll continue to be the latter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! What a loss to the community. We've lost now two great sources of content that will take a lot to replace (if they get replaced).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
A sad day for us gamers. And a big "thanks" to Rick for the many hours of hard work he put in so we could have the latest news hot off the "wire".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, am saddened by this news. cry

Gamewire was _the_ _best_ source for reading about upcoming games. I visited the site almost daily. Rick constantly pressed the game companies for game information and release dates, and presented it in a clean and easy-to-find format. Now where do we turn to find this valuable game information? WHERE, DAMMIT? WHHHHEEEEERRRRREEEEE?

:regains composure:

A truly valuable and valued board game resource is being lost. All the best, Rick, on your continued success. The Gamewire was a great service to our hobby. Many thanks to the years of sweat and grime you put into it. It will certainly be missed.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to be sick... gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Purcell
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooo!!! This is very sad. I loved reading Rick's stuff. With so many blogs out there today, his writing always felt different. Very professional and very interesting. It was such a great way to read about a bunch of games, in one article. Plus all the other work, like Gone Cardboard, was something I checked constantly.

Rick - thank you very much for dedicating your time to the hobby. I wish you the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought a lot of games based on Rick's reviews and previews and his Essen reports have been a definitely hilight of the last 2 years for me. I'm really going to miss GameWire!

Rick, if you're coming to BGG CON, I'd like to buy you a beer. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Wheatley
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is indeed sad news, but at least we had it for a while.

Thanks for everything Rick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Tepper
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. How sad. I'll miss Rick's reviews and suggestions as well. I like the way Rick is able to quickly give an accurate and concise overview of a game. I would also rely on Rick's opinions, since his game likes seem similar to mine.

I really hope you're not fleeing from the industry, Rick, and that we'll see you elsewhere soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, MAN! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack, this sucks! I am a big fan of GameWire. Gamewire has been a great resource.

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sucks!

Gamewire was a fantastic news resource for the boardgaming community.

I for one would gladly pay a subscription fee if that meant it could continue. I hope Rick considers something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Czapski
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From some of Rick's comments in the past, I don't think he fully realized how incredibly valuable and enjoyable his Gamewire service is. It's a wonderfully written and organized website and newsstream. That was a happy day for me about 2 years ago when I stopped sifting through the Spielfrieks babble for news and reviews of upcoming games and started relying completely on Rick's work. I'll bet he could ask for and get paying subscribers (but enough to pay a good salary plus travel expenses? -- hmmmmm). Rick, thank you, thank you, thank you! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
From some of Rick's comments in the past, I don't think he fully realized how incredibly valuable and enjoyable his Gamewire service is.

I can't say it better, Joe. Usually I'll avoid an echo post, but not this time. Rick Thornquist was the #1 guy for reliable news for me and was my eyes and ears at all the conventions I couldn't go to....(which was pretty much all of them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is truly sad news. Gamewire was THE place to go to keep track of the new games coming down the pike. I really enjoyed all of Rick's reviews and convention reports. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooooooooooooo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.