Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is everything that I have come across to date concerning the printed Andean Abyss set:

Rules of Play

Page 4, Left Column, 1.4.1, 2nd bullet clarification: “executing” here refers to a Faction doing so per 2.3, Event Card Sequence of Play, not just as part of an Event effect (5.1). 1.4.1 3rd bullet addition: Add “or Activation” after “removal”.

Page 4, Right column, 1.7 Resources and Aid ADDITION: Negotiated transfer of Resources (1.5.1) may only be to or from a Faction executing an Operation, Special Activity, or Event (per 2.3).

Page 5, Left Column, 2.3.1: “Eligibility” is misspelled.

Page 5, Left Column, 2nd box, Eligibility Option A, last line: replace “box” with “pile”.

Page 5, Right Column, 2.3.4 OPTIONS FOR 2ND ELIGIBLE, 2nd bullet, clarification: “may instead” here refers to the previous bullet and thus means “may execute a Limited Operation or instead execute the event.” (See the Sequence of Play sheet and the game board.)

Page 6, Left Column, 3.1, clarification: Players pay for Operations space by space as they go, enabling Insurgents at 0 Resources to Extort, Kidnap, or Process to add Resources and then pay for additional Operations spaces. (See 4.1 and its EXAMPLE). A given Operation may not select a given space more than once. Once targeted, a Faction’s pieces are affected to the maximum extent possible (1.4.1).

Page 6, Left Column, 3.1.1, and page 16, Left Column, “Pawn”, clarification: The respective use of black and white pawns is reversed in the rulebook from the Playbook tutorial. Players should go by their own preference.

Page 6, 3.2.2, clarification: Cubes on all LoCs Activate Guerrillas even if the Patrol is a LimOp.

Page 6, Right Column, 3.2.3 clarification: Sweeps do not have to move Troops; they may simply Activate Guerrillas in place.

Page 6, Right Column, 3.2.3 EXAMPLE, 5th line: replace “2 LoCs” with “4 LoCs”.

Page 9, Left column, 4.5.3 1st bullet clarification: Transfer if possible, otherwise remove.

Page 9, Left Column, 5.1 clarification: An example of “otherwise specified” here would be a Faction executing an Event that forces another Faction to Attack; the Attacking Faction would make any selections allowed within the Event’s required Attack (per 3.1), such as choosing whether to remove Underground or Active Guerrilla targets.Page 13, Left Column, 8.6.2, 3rd line: delete the second “with”.

Page 13, Right Column, 8.6.4 ASSASSINATE, bullet (and in Non-Player AUC flowchart Assassinate box): after “too many Police” add “or no enemy”.

Page 15, Center Column, “Eligible”: insert “to” between “able” and “execute”; Right Column, “Foreign Country” rule reference should be “1.3.5” not 1.3.2.

Page 16, Center Column, “Seizure” should be “Drug Bust” and appear page 15; its rule reference should be “3.2.5”.

Game Board and Cards

The FARC Zone rules reference in the game board’s “El Presidente” Pastrana box and on Event cards 30 “Peace Commission” and 36 “Zona de Convivencia” should be “6.4.4” not 6.4.3.

Playbook

Page 4, Right Column, 2nd full paragraph: Replace “Airstrike” with “Air Lift”.

Page 8 clarification: In the example about FARC Rally, Extort technically would occur at a single point during the sequence of Rallies (per 4.1 bullet). Also, in the paragraph about Putumayo, FARC could not place a Base because of the 2 Cartels Bases already in the Department.

Pages 9, 10, & 11, illustrations on these pages incorrectly show 3 Troops still in Medellín.

Page 11, FARC March Actions illustration should show 2 yellow AUC Guerrillas in each of Meta West and Meta East, instead of the two green Cartels Guerrillas in each.

Page 12, Left Column, 2nd full paragraph: The net cost of the Operation with Special Activity should be -2 for Rally in 5 spaces and Extort in 3 spaces, dropping AUC Resources from 13 to 11. Following through, page 13, Right Column, 2nd paragraph AUC Resources from 11 to 12, and page 14 Right Column, 4th full paragraph AUC Resources from 12 to 9.

Page 12, Left Column, 4th full paragraph: Replace “FARC cylinder” with “Government cylinder”.

Page 12, Right Column, 4th full paragraph: Replace “AUC guerrilla” with “AUC piece”.

Page 13, Right Column, top line: Replace “1 Resource” with “1-3 Resources”.

Page 15, Right Column, 1st line: Replace "Sweep" with "Patrol".

Page 17, Right Column, 2nd full paragraph: Delete the last sentence that starts with "It has only 1 Police, so ...". It is superfluous; a second space is needed in any case.

Page 17, “Preparing the Deck for This Example” box: Add to the beginning of the final paragraph “Randomly remove 12 other Event cards.”

Page 20, The illustrations should show 4 Police in Cali.

Page 25, The illustration is missing a third FARC Guerrilla remaining in Arauca-Casanare.

Cartels Faction Sheet

Attack Location: add “with Guerrilla and enemy”.

Sequence of Play Sheet

Event Card, gray text at left margin, clarification: “otherwise Op (8.1)” refers to the usual Non-player Op & Special Activity, not to Op only.

Event Card, 1st Eligible Faction column, second box: “Special Ability” should read “Special Activity”.

Counters

The “NDSC” Govt Capabilities marker is misspelled “NSDC” on both sides.

[Edited 29 September 2012 to remove older edit references, add a Rules page 15 correction, and follow through on Playbook AUC Resouces correction. Edited 7 October to add a Rules page 9 clarification, 8 October to correct Playbook page 25 and clarify Playbook page 8, and 9 October to clarify Rules pages 4 and 9 and correct Playbook page 15.]

[Edited 4 November 2012 with an ADDITION to Rules of Play 1.7 and a clarification to Sequence of Play Sheet.]

[Edited 26 November 2012 with an added clarification of Playbook page 8.]

[Edited 25 March 2013 with additions to 1.4.1 and 3.1.]

[Edited 27 May 2013 with correction to Playbook page 20.]

[Edited 10 August 2013 with added corrections to Playbook pages 12 and 13.]

[Edited 18 September 2013 with clarification of 3.2.2 and correction to Rules page 16.]

[Edited 26 October 2013 with correction to Cartels faction sheet.

-- Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Volko!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerd In NY
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Number 30 - Peace Commission

Shaded event, last line -
1 FARC Zone. (see 6.4.3)

Should read -
1 FARC Zone. (see 6.4.4)

6.4.3 discusses Elections which has no bearing on the card. 6.4.4 discusses FARC Zones, clearly the intended reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, good one. Unfortunately, the same error is also on card 36 and the game board. Errata above edited to add this correction. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerd In NY
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko, It must be annoying to find minor errors like this that were most likely caused by rules changes out of order with artwork changes but I would rather have the cross-references which occasionally are off by x.x.1 than having a rulebook that makes you search through it to find the topic you need!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerdinmich wrote:
Volko, It must be annoying to find minor errors like this that were most likely caused by rules changes out of order with artwork changes but I would rather have the cross-references which occasionally are off by x.x.1 than having a rulebook that makes you search through it to find the topic you need!
Interesting, I'd have thought they'd use something like TeX to reference figures / images, which would update them automatically...

Volko, I'd love to hear about the process behind the scenes at GMT, if you could make something happen there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam! I know that Mark Simonitch, who heads up work on all the internal art and layout, employs proofers to align rules references. I don't know for sure, but I believe it's manual, and I certainly have found corrections myself during the process.

In this case, Mark had simplified the rules numbering scheme to no more than 3 digits. I submitted an update for the game board and the two event cards from "6.4.3.1" to "6.4.3" when I should have typed "6.4.4". That was it.

Regards! vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have found another one in the play book...

the illustration on pg. 11 is showing 'FARC march actions' however the previous AUC action is not on the board (ie no two new guerillas in meta east or meta west) from the last play of Sicarios on pg 10, column 2, para 3. Cartel pieces that were just replaced are shown in the current illustration.

I was trying to be sure my board was up to date and realized I had a ton more AUC out than illustrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, sure enough! Errata above updated. Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Added another correction to Playbook page 12. - vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko: I think I may have found another error in the Playbook:

p.10 1st col., last par. "Note that neither Medellin [...] are eligible for a Cultivate Special Activity..."

Unless I missed something, there are no cubes remaining in Medellin, having moved out to Choco during the Sweep conducted on the Narco-Subs card on p. 10, therefore Cultivate is possible in Medellin.

The Tutorial is a GREAT initiative, thanks!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Benoit!

Benoitl33 wrote:
... p.10 1st col., last par. "Note that neither Medellin [...] are eligible for a Cultivate Special Activity..."

Unless I missed something, there are no cubes remaining in Medellin, having moved out to Choco during the Sweep conducted on the Narco-Subs card on p. 10, therefore Cultivate is possible in Medellin.

Would not the 1 Police (light blue) cube still be in Medellin? (Unless a particular Govt Capability is in effect, Police do no move on Sweeps.) 1 Police would be enough against 1 Cartels Guerrilla to block Cultivate.

It appears, though, that the illustrations on pages 9 and 11 are in error in showing 3 Troops still in Medellin, hm?

Benoitl33 wrote:
The Tutorial is a GREAT initiative, thanks!cool

Thank Joel Toppen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:

Would not the 1 Police (light blue) cube still be in Medellin? (Unless a particular Govt Capability is in effect, Police do no move on Sweeps.) 1 Police would be enough against 1 Cartels Guerrilla to block Cultivate.

It appears, though, that the illustrations on pages 9 and 11 are in error in showing 3 Troops still in Medellin, hm?

I guess I missed that... Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, updated the errata to correct Troop error in the illustrations on pages 9 through 11. Thanks again! vfr

Edit: Also added a correction to Playbook page 17 1-Player Example discovered by
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Andean Abyss: Rules

I can understand why this is also 'news' but in the long run moving it to Rules will help more users find this handy designer led Errata and Clarification document.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's better, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: I'm just learning this fabulous game, but I came across something that confused me in the Playbook. Page 6, left column, second full paragraph, second sentence. Indicates that the guerrilla is activated, but the card says "without Activating". The accompanying illustration makes it look like it didn't activate. I apologize if I'm not aware of something here, but that looks like an error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert!! Keep reading. The passage first explains a typical Ambush, then notes the Event effect:

Quote:
To carry out an Ambush Attack, one Guerrilla is activated (flipped over to show its embossed side) and two enemy pieces are destroyed and returned to their holding box (Guerrillas/ Troops/Police) or track (bases). As a bonus, however, the Ambushing player may place one available Guerrilla into the space where the Ambush occurred. In this situation, the event stipulated that no Guerrillas activate so we won’t activate the single Guerrilla.

Does that answer? Best regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It does completely. I need to read better! Thanks. Really enjoying this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playbook, pg 15, 2nd column top line it says, "and even conduct an Assault on a LoC as part of the Sweep."

It s/b "Patrol", not "Sweep".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, got it, thanks! vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm re-reading the Playbook and it is such a pleasure, especially with more play experience under my belt. One of the best Playbooks I've ever come across in the hobby.

Also just bought the updated paperback Counterinsurgency in Modern Warfare, which has a new chapter by Thomas A. Marks entitled 'Regaining the Initiative: Columbia versus the FARC Insurgency'.

Thanks for bringing the topic alive with COIN and AA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
[...] Sweeps do not have to move Troops; they may simply Activate Guerrillas in place.[...]

Does Patrol work the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.