Subject: A Friendly Game of Mustangs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al White
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got together with my usual gaming group a few weeks ago to play a game of Mustangs. I've had the game for years, but have only played it once against my son. I liked it, but he didn't care for it too much. When someone in the game group mentioned it, I jumped at the chance.

The game saw one P-38 (me) and two P-51s (my teammates) against two ME-109s and one FW-190. My teammates decided to go after the lone FW-190 leaving me to go up against the two ME-109s. Not sure how that was decided, but I went with it. Since I had to cross in front of the FW-190 on my way to the ME-109s, I decided to dive and avoid confrontation. I tried to make my way around to the rear of the ME-109s, but he was able to move into a good position to take some shots at me -- some good shots. Fortunately, I was able to take evasive maneuvers and dodge their shots.

We went back and forth a bit (and up and down) and he did take some critical engine damage that made it hard for him to change altitude. That really helped me. Finally the sequence chip worked in my favor and I was able to get behind the MEs, at the same level, and take some good shots. By this time, they were out of ammo, trying to disengage.

I think I was lucky early on. The P-38 (as I found out) is not very maneuverable and I left myself open to some shots by the MEs. Fortunately, I rolled well and he missed. I think it's important to save your ammo, and take only good shots. The MEs early on were shooting at my every chance they had and soon ran out of ammo. The sequence marker is important, and probably most important during the end-of-turn altitude/speed change. There was one time I almost gave it to them, even through my maneuvers and those of most of the other planes were already on the board. Best to save it for when everyone has to place markers or change speed/altitude.

As for the game itself, I thought it was simple and fun, but didn't like how the symbols were used to represent maneuverability. Perhaps numbers would have made it easier to remember what the symbols meant.

Now, if only I can get my son to play again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.