Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrant expands The Great Battles of Alexander: Deluxe Edition to cover the wars on Sicily between Syracuse and Carthage. The history isn't as popular as, say Alexander the Great, or the Romans, or some other topics, but is fascinating nevertheless.

First let's start with I really like Great Battles of Alexander. This takes just about everything that makes Alexander good and puts it in a package that is in some ways more accessible.

What you get in the package is a scenario book, a double sided map sheet, and some new couturiers. You still need the rules, counters and maps form Alexander.

Quality-wise it's just what you would expect for a game in the Great Battles of History line. If you are familiar with any of them, you'll know what you're getting. And if you're not, well you probably aren't looking at an expansion module...

This module makes what I feel is the best game of the series even better, and at least when I acquired it, it was inexpensive. It's currently on sale direct form GMT for $10. But I image that means they'll be sold out soonish... so buy it while you can if you are interested.

As a module expanding Great Battles of Alexander, it retains the system used in that game, which is somewhat simpler in terms of command structure than something like SPQR.

The battles in Tyrant cover a wide range of sizes, but most are on the smaller side. Many, but not all, are also more closely balanced than the ones in Alexander.

The only real niggles I have are that some of the battles are a little too scripted for my taste, with few decisions to me made. Those are in the minority though, many of the scenarios are excellent. Another minor niggle is that in some scenarios both sides use counters of the same color. this hasn't been a major issue yet, but I could see it bothering some people.

At this point I've played the majority of the scenarios in the module, and on the BGG scale of desire to play the game it gets a solid 10 since the issues I've mentioned above don't reduce my desire to play. If they were figured in, it would be an 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree. This is the easiest GBoH module to get into for simplicity and balance. You also get a good number of scenarios. Barbarian is a close second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.