Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have (or know where to find) a list of good game stores in CT that are still in business? When I try to Google it, a number of names come up, but a little research shows many are out of business. Thanks for any tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time Machine Toy and Hobby in Manchester is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brand new game store in Norwalk: http://www.battlegroundsgaming.net/. I haven't been there but they apparently have a meetup for board games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gouveia
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto the Time Machine in Manchester.

There was another game/hobby shop down in Groton? Citadel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these suggestions. I think I heard of another called The Grid Games in Manchester? Anyone know anything about that one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirding the Time Machine... it's not a "game store" per se, but a hobby store with a big game section. I think this makes it even more interesting to go to, as there's a variety of neat things to look at. The Grid is nearby; I found it small and uninviting, but I only tried once. Some people like it, and maybe it helps if you're already in the "in crowd". It's close enough to the Time Machine that it's worth checking in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also wouldn't be a terrible idea to mention where in Connecticut you are. Stamford to Manchester could take hours to drive, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Shelton. Other than Gaming Etc. in Stratford, there's not a whole lot around my neck of the woods. They have an okay selection but they definitely cater to the MTG crowd and the couple times I went to the counter to buy a game they looked at me like they didn't know what I wanted to do with it. LOL I actually had to tell them I wanted to buy it! Cave Comics in Newtown has an okay selection of games but that's all I'm familiar with. I figured I would be driving a distance to anyplace else in the state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
East Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
EL PSY CONGROO
badge
まだまだこれから
mbmbmbmbmb
The Citadel in Groton is very well stocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Beeson
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Time Machine - Manchester
Battle Standard - Manchester
Clockwork Comics - Orange
Sarge's Comics - New London
The Citadel - Groton
Battlegrounds - Norwalk

I thought there was a place in Milford, but I cannot find it for the life of me - maybe I am imagining it...

What kind of games were you looking for? I live in Hamden and am trying to get a group together for semi-regular gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
berzerkmonkey wrote:
Time Machine - Manchester
Battle Standard - Manchester
Clockwork Comics - Orange
Sarge's Comics - New London
The Citadel - Groton
Battlegrounds - Norwalk

I thought there was a place in Milford, but I cannot find it for the life of me - maybe I am imagining it...

What kind of games were you looking for? I live in Hamden and am trying to get a group together for semi-regular gaming.

I have been to Clockwork Comics. Nice store, but not very many games at all. Definitely cater more to comics (obviously) and miniatures like Warhammer. Thanks for the list of other stores. When I have some time to make the drives I'll have to check them out.

In terms of what games I'm looking for, there's nothing in particular. At the moment I play games with my family and maybe a friend or two who aren't gamers so the games I have been playing and looking at are fairly light. But I myself am not averse to learning longer, heavier games. A few games on my radar at the moment are King of Tokyo, Mage Wars, Mice & Mystics, and the Resistance along with a few others. I might swing down to Gaming Etc. in Stratford just to browse although I really can't afford anything at all right now. Sometimes it's fun just to look! ;-) Anyway, participating in a group might be interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bil McGee
msg tools
mb
Bimm wrote:
Brand new game store in Norwalk: http://www.battlegroundsgaming.net/. I haven't been there but they apparently have a meetup for board games as well.

Open board game night is every Wednesday evening at Battlegrounds. Good group of regulars, lots of demo copies and 10% off all board games on board game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Time Machine Toy and Hobby in Manchester is excellent.

Time Machine just rented / bought the space across the street in the rear of the building (60 Hilliard Street, Manchester) for open gaming and the stores game collection. Looking good so far but it's only been moved for a week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds promising. If you go let us know if it's worth a drive (would probably be a 40-45 minute drive for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjfalzone wrote:
Sounds promising. If you go let us know if it's worth a drive (would probably be a 40-45 minute drive for me).

I always think Time Machine is worth it. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
jjfalzone wrote:

I'll probably be stopping in to Time Machine on Sunday. Just curious what their game selection is like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjfalzone wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:
jjfalzone wrote:

I'll probably be stopping in to Time Machine on Sunday. Just curious what their game selection is like.

Hopefully they have finished moving all their stuff across the street.
A family game section is still in the main building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the selection of stuff they moved or are moving across the street? I saw their webpage and the game publishers whose games they said they carried didn't seem extensive so I was just curious. Thanks for any info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjfalzone wrote:
How is the selection of stuff they moved or are moving across the street? I saw their webpage and the game publishers whose games they said they carried didn't seem extensive so I was just curious. Thanks for any info! :)

I have always thought they had a decent selection. It is where I pick up most of my games over the last 5-10 yeas since ,War &Pieces, and Dragon's Lair closed.

If you have never been to The Time Machine then you should go.
I would suggest going on the 1 st or 3rd Sunday of the month to see the model trains running upstairs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Sherer
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent about 30-45 minutes at the Time Machine's new space yesterday, checking out the inventory. It was my first time in the new gaming area, and they were in the process of expanding even further. If I had the time, I'd probably stop by for one of the game nights/events. I saw a King of Tokyo tournament sign up sheet. And they encourage people to run events for any game that somebody might want to play more often. If only I knew about this place ten or fifteen years ago, before life caught up with me.

As for inventory, it isn't much different than what you'd find when the games still were at the main store. Not much variety, but still more than I've seen anywhere else in the Hartford area. Games are segregated on the shelves by publisher, for the most part. There's usually a decent selection of the games you'd expect to be there (the ones that sell best): Dominion, Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Memoir '44, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin, etc. And there are war games there, too (nowhere near as many as War and Pieces in West Hartford used to sell; I still miss that place). At the very least, it's a good place to pick up and look at a game you might not otherwise consider purchasing. The staff seems to know their stuff, too.

Everything is at MSRP. But I stop by often enough that I pick up a game every once in a while. Picked up Brass yesterday. There's a heavy emphasis on Warhammer and Magic. But the new space has a lot more room, so you don't feel overwhelmed by either. The board games are now in a room behind the salesperson's counter--the same counter where (I think) Magic cards are bought, sold and traded--so if you browse the games, you don't have to dodge the kids coming in to work on their Magic decks or sign up for Magic tournaments anymore.

Maybe now that they have more room, they'll increase their inventory. But I think that would depend on sales, not on square footage. Why increase inventory if there isn't any chance of increased sales? But then again, if the Time Machine increased its inventory of board games, maybe sales would increase. All I know is that they have a ton of empty space in their new gaming area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the family/ abstract games still in the main building? When I was there a few weekends ago it seemed like those were going to stay in the main building. Things like Scotland Yard, how to host a murder mystery party, kids games, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For completeness' sake, I'll mention Cave Comics in Newtown. They're mainly comics but have some FFG and Munchkin fare. Probably not worth a special trip unless you call ahead first; there's probably only 30 different board game titles in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Sherer
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Are the family/ abstract games still in the main building? When I was there a few weekends ago it seemed like those were going to stay in the main building. Things like Scotland Yard, how to host a murder mystery party, kids games, etc...

Yes. The family/abstract games are still in the main building, on the same long shelf that faces the Lego and Playmobil sets. But I saw Scotland Yard over in the new space when I was there a few days ago. Back when everything was under one roof, there usually were a few games hiding in the wrong section (e.g. Viva Topo! used to be on the shelf next to Carcassonne and Dominion, and one copy of Portobello Market happened to be on the top shelf of the family/abstract games section while others could be found with the "heavier," non family/abstract games). Of course, before they moved into the new space, that meant I had to spend a long time reviewing the inventory in each section, just to make sure that I didn't miss anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls