Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Discussion Thread for You Know, For Kids - A Family-Friendly Math Trade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
VolcanoLotus wrote:
There's already a bunch of great stuff in this trade, including one of my biggest wants...
Ooooh - curious now - about what that want is...
I don't mind sharing, since I requested it - it's the in-shrink Time Agent. I'm slowing down my own collection - at this point mostly trying to fill a few holes, or get stuff I might like that I'll have an easier time selling - but this one would be a Christmas present for a gamer friend for whom it'd be PERFECT, and being a 20 year old game, I'm excited that there's one still wrapped in the trade.

anglotiger wrote:
(I know it's not one of my items)
Not this time, but you have topped my list in the past. Some day I'll get one of your mystery boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Is there a central point for people to go to coordinate upcoming math trades?
Not to my knowledge, and I was actually thinking about this even before the whole overlap thing came up. I like to start my trades on Thursdays, but I started working on the GeekLists this time on Tuesday, and was thinking that if I logged on Thursday morning to a trade announcement, I would've been frustrated at the situation and my wasted time.

Maybe someone should set up a Google Calendar or something for math trade scheduling? There's pros and cons to formalizing things as well, but I guess since we're all board gamers, we probably all like structure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
so he jumped in and immediately started one - preventing the unrestricted one that I had stated that I was about to run when this one was done.
I know this is off-topic, but I think that ship already sailed. If there is a "proper" place for *this* discussion, feel free to point me to it.

I noticed your mention of an upcoming trade, but only because I happened to be monitoring a thread or two that you mentioned it in, and neither was one that all MT organizers would necessarily read. Is there a central point for people to go to coordinate upcoming math trades? If not, then I can imagine that someone (him, me) could start one without realizing that someone else was planning to do one. I want to make sure I subscribe to the central location, if there is one, to avoid stumbling into a situation like this myself.

I had no idea Jack was planning on running a math trade in the near future. I'm not sure how I could have known.'

Jack, would you like me to cancel my math trade? I'd be happy to if it is upsetting to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Less than 12 hours left to add items!

As a reminder, anything on the Request List can be added even if it doesn't match the theme of the trade! I've sorted it alphabetically, so if you haven't done so already and have more off-theme items you'd considered adding, go check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not the place to ask, but this is the Math Trade I am currently in. Is anyone else having an issue when you click on the link to only view items on your wish list that it only shows games added since last time you looked at list? I am used to seeing all green highlighted wish list items when that link is clicked on. Not sure if it is a problem with this particular trade list or a general issue. Any feedback appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
Maybe not the place to ask, but this is the Math Trade I am currently in. Is anyone else having an issue when you click on the link to only view items on your wish list that it only shows games added since last time you looked at list? I am used to seeing all green highlighted wish list items when that link is clicked on. Not sure if it is a problem with this particular trade list or a general issue. Any feedback appreciated.
That's the default. There's a link near the top of that page that lets you see all of the items in the math trade. Read the very top of the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen B
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
Is anyone else having an issue when you click on the link to only view items on your wish list that it only shows games added since last time you looked at list?
Welcome to the club! I stumbled over that one, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
16% of us have submitted wantlists so far (including me). I'm not counting on trading the one item I have up, but it sure would be nice. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's the default. There's a link near the top of that page that lets you see all of the items in the math trade. Read the very top of the screen.
Nope. I understand that the link at the top shows you the entire list, not just what was added since last viewing. What I am talking about is the link at the bottom where you click to see just want matches with your wish/want list. It used to show you all items highlighted in green for the entire list, not just those added since last viewing. I used it all the time to scan back over the list of items on my wish/want list. Will have to write to one of the developers I guess or see if it was just an issue on this trade somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
16% of us have submitted wantlists so far (including me).
Up to 43% now. My goal is 100% submissions, in case you couldn't all tell from my GeekMail , but we're off to a great start!

I wanted to talk a little bit about the elephant in the room, as I'd expressed a concern earlier about a higher-than-normal rate of blank want lists due to the concurrent trade. I did some thinking about it, and none of my items have blank lists, even the high value ones, and not just because I'm the mod here.

Here's why:

-There's some interesting stuff in here that doesn't usually make it into the bigger trades. I've got 5 items on my wants I've either never seen or rarely seen in 45 other math trades.
-TradeMax for both trades is using the Users-Trading metric. This means (in general) that everyone's first trade is weighted higher by the algorithm than any subsequent ones. Therefore, by participating in both, I have a chance to use that weight to my advantage twice instead of just once.
-There's no guarantee I'll get a trade in either one, let alone the stuff that I value more in the other trade (and, to be honest, there IS stuff I value more in the other one), so by submitting a blank want list, I'd be blowing a chance to get something I want in order for a (possibly smaller) chance to get something I want a little more.

Essentially, my personal opinion is that it makes sense to blank want list if:

-There's not anything you want in this trade (in which case the other trade doesn't matter)
-The other trade has a bona fide grail game for you - the type of game you'd dig deep in your collection to get - and you want as many chances to get that game as you can

You are, of course, welcome to disagree. I want people to leave this trade happy, so don't submit want lists for items if you don't want to. Just my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
Quote:
Nope. I understand that the link at the top shows you the entire list, not just what was added since last viewing. What I am talking about is the link at the bottom where you click to see just want matches with your wish/want list. It used to show you all items highlighted in green for the entire list, not just those added since last viewing. I used it all the time to scan back over the list of items on my wish/want list. Will have to write to one of the developers I guess or see if it was just an issue on this trade somehow.
Oh, the magnifying glass? Jeff changed that somewhat recently so that stuff you've already added to your wants is filtered out. I found it jarring at first, but I've come to appreciate it, as it means I don't have to re-read about items I've already decided I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Oh, the magnifying glass? Jeff changed that somewhat recently so that stuff you've already added to your wants is filtered out. I found it jarring at first, but I've come to appreciate it, as it means I don't have to re-read about items I've already decided I want.
Interesting - that makes sense. At least confirmation that I am not going insane over this - although there are plenty of other markers. I checked another trade list that was working as remembered, but I hadn't clicked any items yet, so that totally makes sense! Thanks for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
Right. Much more convenient. There is a different button that shows you all the games you have added to your wants page in the step-3 format. That allows you to review what you *actually added* to make sure the shipping policies and game conditions are ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
manymoodys wrote:
Quote:
I was confused by this too. Especially since there's still text at the top that says a green check will appear next to items that are already on your wants list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did the first test run. No trades yet, but most items/users haven't submitted yet, so that's not shocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are about 12 copies of NIS Zooloretto out there and I am probably one of the few willing to take one, but only have one game up myself. There is a lot of stuff that didn't seem to meet the Family game criteria (Troyes), but I stuck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lito Carmona
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I play board games with brussel sprouts balanced on my head... in Brussels!
badge
I respond to ALL trade requests.
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
There are about 12 copies of NIS Zooloretto out there and I am probably one of the few willing to take one, but only have one game up myself. There is a lot of stuff that didn't seem to meet the Family game criteria (Troyes), but I stuck with it.
I have 11 games up for trade, and I am willing to trade 8 of them for one of the In-Shrink copies of Zooloretto. I only just now submitted my wants, though... so maybe the next run will look more positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oacarmon wrote:
manymoodys wrote:
I have 11 games up for trade, and I am willing to trade 8 of them for one of the In-Shrink copies of Zooloretto. I only just now submitted my wants, though... so maybe the next run will look more positive.
I also have Zooloretto on want lists. Apparently I missed whatever clearance you all caught

At 55% submitted, we now have 5 trades!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Amiga fanMicrobadge: Atari fanMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Golden Video Game CollectorMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
VolcanoLotus wrote:

I also have Zooloretto on want lists. Apparently I missed whatever clearance you all caught
Good deal...
Target. Zooloretto for as low as $10.48.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/829140/clearance-at-target-r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
oacarmon wrote:
manymoodys wrote:
I'm also looking for one of those Zooloretto's, but I only have a limited number of games that even fit the Math Trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard about the Target clearance as well, but not at my local Target. Amazon has also had it hovering around $20 with free shipping (Prime).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your line of thinking.
Re: Grail Game - Unless you are seriously planning to put up an offer that is truly worthy of the grail game in the other MT, you are not likely to get it. Yes, there is always a (small) chance of an uptrade, but I am with you -- why not at least try for something that you would like here and if it misses, then you can always take a shot at the grail game in the other one.

I am surprised that with 43% of users submitted that there is not at least one trade already. But like you say these things tend to be VERY back loaded. It just takes one connection to all of a sudden cause a chain reaction.

VolcanoLotus wrote:
peakhope wrote:
16% of us have submitted wantlists so far (including me).
Up to 43% now. My goal is 100% submissions, in case you couldn't all tell from my GeekMail , but we're off to a great start!

I wanted to talk a little bit about the elephant in the room, as I'd expressed a concern earlier about a higher-than-normal rate of blank want lists due to the concurrent trade. I did some thinking about it, and none of my items have blank lists, even the high value ones, and not just because I'm the mod here.

Here's why:

-There's some interesting stuff in here that doesn't usually make it into the bigger trades. I've got 5 items on my wants I've either never seen or rarely seen in 45 other math trades.
-TradeMax for both trades is using the Users-Trading metric. This means (in general) that everyone's first trade is weighted higher by the algorithm than any subsequent ones. Therefore, by participating in both, I have a chance to use that weight to my advantage twice instead of just once.
-There's no guarantee I'll get a trade in either one, let alone the stuff that I value more in the other trade (and, to be honest, there IS stuff I value more in the other one), so by submitting a blank want list, I'd be blowing a chance to get something I want in order for a (possibly smaller) chance to get something I want a little more.

Essentially, my personal opinion is that it makes sense to blank want list if:

-There's not anything you want in this trade (in which case the other trade doesn't matter)
-The other trade has a bona fide grail game for you - the type of game you'd dig deep in your collection to get - and you want as many chances to get that game as you can

You are, of course, welcome to disagree. I want people to leave this trade happy, so don't submit want lists for items if you don't want to. Just my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
Re: Grail Game - Unless you are seriously planning to put up an offer that is truly worthy of the grail game in the other MT, you are not likely to get it. Yes, there is always a (small) chance of an uptrade, but I am with you -- why not at least try for something that you would like here and if it misses, then you can always take a shot at the grail game in the other one.
And don't forget to check out the Who Wanted Mine area after the trade too, especially for grails. I got my grail (Gunslinger) in a post-math trade deal (with RoamDog, actually) because I saw he wanted some of my items with other items of his, and we worked out a mutually agreeable bundle.

RoamDog wrote:
I am surprised that with 43% of users submitted that there is not at least one trade already. But like you say these things tend to be VERY back loaded. It just takes one connection to all of a sudden cause a chain reaction.
With 65% of users submitted, we're now at 7 trades. While that's a very low percentage (less than 2%), 2 of the top 3 users in terms of items added haven't submitted yet, and we've only got want lists for a little over half of the items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
Quote:
I have a similar problem, except for me it's not even highlighting the games on my wish/want list...when I press that button, it displays nothing, even though several games on my list are in the trade. It didn't affect me this time, but it does seem odd.

EDIT: Oh, I just read the clarification on this. That IS confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone was concerned about me not posting the weight of my games/zip code I'll be shipping from, I figure most of my items won't go over the limit I set anyway, but I'll just go ahead and cover all ConUS shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |