Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Discussion Thread for You Know, For Kids - A Family-Friendly Math Trade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At 84% submitted, we're at 17 trades (3.3%). A little low, but hopefully it'll keep moving in the right direction as we get more submissions!

If you want to know if you're one of the lucky few, send me a GeekMail and I'll try my best to get back to you before the trade ends (I'm visiting family and possibly friends this evening, but will be checking back in intermittently). As is standard, I'll only say whether or not you had at least one trade in the most recent test run, not what it was or how many. And, of course, none of this is binding; just one more want list change could mean you no longer have a trade you had in an earlier run (or vice versa).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen B
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So, I posted "Free to CONUS" on all my listings, intending that to mean that I'd only ship to the CONUS. Is that clear enough? Or, is there ambiguity and I'm on the hook to ship free to the world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
k2outside wrote:

So, I posted "Free to CONUS" on all my listings, intending that to mean that I'd only ship to the CONUS. Is that clear enough? Or, is there ambiguity and I'm on the hook to ship free to the world?

No; you specified a shipping policy and didn't include other places, so you're fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I don't get any trades, I'm happy about this MT because while setting up my wants, I was made to understand how duplicate protection works! Thanks Jason!

Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: King of ThriftersMicrobadge: Ebay fan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
lgoldberg wrote:
Even if I don't get any trades, I'm happy about this MT because while setting up my wants, I was made to understand how duplicate protection works! Thanks Jason!

Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: King of ThriftersMicrobadge: Ebay fan
Which is a good thing.
I was going back through some old math trade results, to see the popularity of various games.
I saw a few instances of (probably new traders) receiving, for example, 2 copies of Carcassonne, for which they had to ship out 2 different of their own games. D'OH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am gonna take one more pass to see if I can loosen up my wants one box to the left for each row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results are up! Ended up being 29 trades for just shy of 5% - not setting any records, but not too shabby.

No cause for alarm with the results, so I'm going to declare them official. Go ahead and set up trades and whatnot.

Finally, if you have a U.S. address and haven't done so already, check out Trent's trade - there are still 3 days left to add items! I'll be putting my stuff up there in the next day or so. If you want to repost an item from this trade, click the box with a plus sign icon by Trent's trade in the OLWLG, then select Family-Friendly from the dropdown and follow the instructions from there. Much faster than using the GeekList directly.

Thanks to everyone for participating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Thank you so much for doing this trade!
I've been trying to trade my 3rd ed. settlers for a 4th ed. for years, and having failed in FTF trades and direct trades thought I'd try doing it in a math trade, and it finally worked. Yay!

Here's some GG for your hard work running the trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! One of my best math trades yet! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Campagna
Canada
St-jean-sur-Richelieu
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the math trade, I got the game I wanted the most!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Charlie Brown might say, "I got a rock".

That's okay - look how much money I saved on shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
As Charlie Brown might say, "I got a rock".

That's okay - look how much money I saved on shipping :D

Good way to look at it. Nothing for me either, but I really appreciated this math trade. I hope another is run every so often even though response wasn't overwhelming.

Thanks for running it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it looks like my non-trading streak continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Amiga fanMicrobadge: Atari fanMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Golden Video Game CollectorMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
yaverot wrote:
Well it looks like my non-trading streak continues.
Look at the bright side, You didn't get anything you didn't REALLY want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing for me. I need to get some better trade fodder

I find it amusing that we had some "Catan Arbitrage" in this one. As JD said, he managed to send away a 3rd Edition of Settlers and receive a 4th Edition. Nice. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the title worked against this MT. I suspect some people looked, saw the word "kids", and assumed it would *only* be for kids items. There are a lot of "family" games that are great for adults (and often even for gamers). And then there were all the exceptions that allowed *any* item to get into the trade, regardless of how kid unfriendly it might be.

And then there was the kerfuffle with the other MT, which didn't help either.

It would be interesting to try this "themed" MT again at some point, and see how it might do without the distractions. On the other hand, I tend to prefer less restrictive MT's, so if there isn't another one like this, that's ok too. Totally up to whoever volunteers to run the MT.

Thanks Jeremy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
peakhope wrote:

I find it amusing that we had some "Catan Arbitrage" in this one. As JD said, he managed to send away a 3rd Edition of Settlers and receive a 4th Edition. Nice. Nothing wrong with that.
I don't know if "arbitrage" would be the best word I've read comments from people who prefer the colonial theme to the medieval theme, and being OOP I think 3rd edition will only go up in value. In my case I prefer the medieval theme and was disappointed back in 2007 only a couple months after buying 3rd ed. to see what 4th ed. was themed on. And also want it to match my newer Seafarers. Turns out a math trade was the way to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I think the title worked against this MT. I suspect some people looked, saw the word "kids", and assumed it would *only* be for kids items. There are a lot of "family" games that are great for adults (and often even for gamers). And then there were all the exceptions that allowed *any* item to get into the trade, regardless of how kid unfriendly it might be.
Yeah...my wife says I overestimate how many people have seen and remember The Hudsucker Proxy, which is where the first half of the title comes from. (If you haven't, check it out - one of my favorite Coen Brothers films.)

I'd hoped I was clear in the announcements thread, but it would seem not. I also remember being suprised around when they introduced the subdomains to see how broad "family" was and had assumed others had checked out that info at some point - again, probably a faulty assumption on my part.

peakhope wrote:
It would be interesting to try this "themed" MT again at some point, and see how it might do without the distractions. On the other hand, I tend to prefer less restrictive MT's, so if there isn't another one like this, that's ok too. Totally up to whoever volunteers to run the MT.
Yeah. I won't be doing this one again myself, probably, but would participate if someone else wanted to do one. If I don't do the next unresticted one, my next math trade will probably be a different theme and not for a few months.

peakhope wrote:
Thanks Jeremy!
Thanks for participating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I got the reference, and it was one of the main reasons I clicked on the geeklist to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sokalski
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I've been trying to trade my 3rd ed. settlers for a 4th ed. for years, and having failed in FTF trades and direct trades thought I'd try doing it in a math trade, and it finally worked. Yay!
I thought it was really strange that I'm sending Catan 4th edition to someone who already had Catan Enjoy the 4th edition. Now I can only hope that trading it for Red November was worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ski309 wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I thought it was really strange that I'm sending Catan 4th edition to someone who already had Catan Enjoy the 4th edition. Now I can only hope that trading it for Red November was worth it!
Red November's a fun little game, it's good for family/holiday get-togethers because it's easy to teach, and also good for gamers in a silly mood for something light. And you can play it solo. I just wouldn't play it with more than maybe 4 people b/c the downtime can drag otherwise. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen B
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree. Red November is a fun little game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen B
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I need to bundle more games. This time, I listed a lot of games of modest value. So, I could only hope to receive games of modest value. But, I wasn't inclined to spend $12 shipping any game to get a $10 game in return. So, I think I need to "up" the value of my offerings by bundling them. I like the "Pick 3 of 5" ones so folks can avoid a game they already have and get a bundle they'd enjoy (and value!) a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |