Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Tatta
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
You can read the article, with pictures and captions at:

http://netrunning.weebly.com/topcards.html

I'll concede that the formatting doesn't fit the BGG forums at all so I recommend visiting the site. Thanks in advance!

=========================================================

One of the most interesting things for me in any game, especially new ones, is to quickly identify the most powerful cards when a new set comes out. Sometimes the answer is pretty obvious, other times it takes some play testing to figure out the answer. In Netrunner, you have a little of both and I'm going to take some time to talk about what I feel some of the most powerful cards are on both sides of the table.

Scorched Earth

We'll start with the most obvious one and the one that's at the top of most players lists. What else can be said about this card that hasn't already been said? It does the most damage to the runner in the game outside of a fully loaded Jinteki Trap and is one of the easiest to set up assuming your deck does what it's supposed to do. Something that I find interesting about Scorched Earth is that it's mostly played out of faction more than any card I think I've seen so far. It's best slotted into NBN "tag you" decks and in that deck it serves as the primary win condition.

Some easy ways to tag the runner included Sea Source and many of the NBN ices which makes it pretty apparent that this is an NBN card more than its host corp of Weyland. I can't even begin to tell you how often I've seen games end on the back of a Sea Source followed by back-to-back Earths. That said, even one Scorched Earth can be pretty devastating as most of the time the Runner can't risk running with no cards in hand.

The main downside to Scorched Earth is its 4 influence value making it extremely taxing to play out of faction. Still, that hasn't stopped many people from doing just that. As more tagging cards come out, look for Scorched Earth to be ravaging your hand alongside its tag team partner Closed Accounts.

Aesop's Pawnshop

I've already written nearly an entire article on this card but it's worth mentioning again given the nature of this article. What Pawnshop does first and foremost is provide use for cards that you may not need anymore. Getting value out of cards that have worn out their uses is card advantage 101. What Pawnshop also does is provide the Runner with a steady stream of credits at a moderately low initial cost. My favorite use with the Pawnshop is in combination with Rabbit Hole to get back the credits spent almost immediately.

I've also tried Pawnshop in my Noise virus decks and it has worked surprisingly well since you have so many cards installed. Obviously it's also quite good with Wyldside for when you need to get back up to 4 actions a turn. Really the only deck I haven't had much luck fitting Pawnshop into has been a criminals deck but I'm sure there's a way to make that work as well.

SanSan City Grid and AstroScript Pilot Program

I group these two together because they're the backbone of the fast advance strategy that's possible with the core set. Setting up a solid wall of ice in front of SanSan City Grid to protect it makes it possible to install and score the Pilot Program agenda in one turn which will allow you to score a 4 progress agenda the following turn. Its really nasty once all the pieces are in place and quite hard to stop.

The fast advance deck might also want to play Shipment From Kaguya of Weyland at a low influence value of 1 to further advance their agendas. The cards are there to make this deck work right now and I can only imagine what expansions can do to such a strategy. There will be a full article covering this type of deck later in the week.

Project Junebug

My least favorite card to play against other than Scorched Earth and one of the main reasons I play with infiltration in all my Runner decks. A 2 counter Junebug bomb is usually enough to put the runner far enough behind to not be able to catch back up. The worst part about Junebug is that the corp has ways to make it very enticing to run at. I've used the agenda counter on MK II to end a run at a Junebug just to ensure the runner will go after it again. It's the little tricks that Jinteki can do to make you run head first into the traps.

Nisei MK II

Speaking of MK II, I only mention this because it's the best agenda in the game and it's really not even particularly close. The ability to just end a run whenever you want is simply amazing, especially when used to score another MK II.

If you're wondering, AstroScript Pilot Program is the second best agenda in the game. After these two, the list gets pretty slim. Unfortunately we can't play out of faction agendas so all this is a moot point anyway.

Desperado, Grimoire, and the Toolbox

Consoles are a backbone of any runner deck to provide more memory units for all your programs and are certainly worth mentioning. The Toolbox, in my opinion, is the overall winner of best console but the Grimoire is certainly better in the virus deck. Desperado is certainly the least desirable one if only because it provides only 1 extra MU slot. Out of all the criminal decks I've built I've ended up cutting Dsperado in favor of a copy of The Toolbox instead and haven't been unhappy about it. It's easy for Desperado to make up its cost in earned credits but that's about all you will get out of it.

Diesel

I've talked briefly about how good diesel is in another article but it needed to also be included here. Drawing cards for the runner is very important and drawing three of them for 1 click and a card is obviously a bargain. The influence value of two makes it a bit tricky to splash a full set of, but runners dedicated to needing this card effect can find a way to play 3.

Matrix Analyzer, Data Raven, Archer, Tollbooth, and Enigma

This particular group of ICE is what I think are the best for what they do. Matrix Analyzer is a key card in the fast advance deck, Data Raven is a key card in the tagging decks, Archer is probably the single most powerful ICE in the game as long as you can find a way to alternatively rez it or not lose much rezzing it the conventional way. Tollbooth, despite costing a ton to rez really halts a runners progress and finally Enigma is probably the most efficient breaker available determined by cost to effect ratio.

I also like RotoTurret and Wall of Ice quite a bit too, even though their pictures aren't posted above.

Battering Ram, Ninja, and Gordian Blade

These three are the most efficient breaker for each type. It's also worth mentioning Crypsis in this group as I have a love affair with him that goes beyond anything I can explain. Icebreakers can be a bit expensive to use so you always want to try and use the most efficient ones when you can. Also keep in mind that the Shaper breakers keep their strength bonus for the entire run should that come up.

Adonis Campaign

In my opinion the best HB card and the main reason to be HB at all. The 3 trash cost makes it a target for the runner but whatever happens you're always going to end up at positive credit advantage over the Runner. A 2 influence cost makes it challenging to play a full set but otherwise an amazing card.

And that's all I'm covering for today. This should give you a decent idea about where to take your deck idea and give you an idea about what to watch for from certain decks. There are many, many other solid cards in the Netrunner core set, these are just the ones that caught my eye immediately.

Thanks for reading and be sure to check out the other articles on the site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the really insightful article. I am more ready than ever to try out a Shaper deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still don´t get what you think is so great about Pawnshop + Rabbithole...
Yeah if you figure out that you don´t need that links its a good way to make some use of them... but if you need the links?

And even if you dont need them.. you pay 6 Credits to get 9?

Does not seem so great to me at all..

Also with Armitage.. you have to leave 2 Credits on it to trash it so you only get one Credit more with the Pawnshop... not so great...

Reasons i see for the Pawnshop is that you can get rid of Wyldside if you don´t need it and you can put in your stuff to have the money ready for your last run... after you won you don´t need your stuff.
But that can be done with a Stimhack too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, Aesop's provides versatility and a way out of situations that you'd like to change. Using it to dump Wyldside is obvious, but there are other cards you might have in play that aren't as useful as 3 credits may be when you're making a key run or really need to dump a tag. As I said in another thread, it's the same reason Necro players used to run the Disk. Sometimes you needed to get rid of a situation that was out of your control. Sometimes you needed to get rid of your own Necro (like Wyldside.) Furthermore, if you know you're going to overwrite a program anyway, why not get paid for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
IamSalvation wrote:

It's not about the two together in the sense of a traditional CCG card combo. It's about having the rabbit holes to help against tagging when you need it. And have a way to quickly make some cash for that ONE run that matters when you need it. The iterative way rabbit hole works (if you can afford it) is just dandy for what could otherwise be a click-sink for the pawnshop. You don't have to spend actions drawing cards and actions installing them. It's essentially free ammo for the pawnshop, IF you need it. If you don't, you got yourself much better covered against low level traces.
You install the rabbit holes when you need link, not when you need the money. Not unless you are really strapped for cash.

It's not the cost-efficiency that matters, it's the click-efficiency of the pawnshop and rabbit hole that matters.
Install pawnshop and three rabbit holes: 0 + 3*2 bits = 6 bits (5 bits if spread out over two turns.) & 2 clicks.
Sell cards when needed for a total of 9 = 0 clicks.
1.5 bits/click with the added advantage of a static link bonus until you sell it.

It makes sense since Magnum Opus takes up 2 MU and gives you 2.0 bits/click with no other in-game advantage.

--------------

Also: Is precognition not used, because people don't care for the effect or is precognition not mentioned because it's not a good card?
Ordering the next 5 cards you draw for one click seems to be a VERY good way to make things go your way and is one of the best 'tutoring' options available for the corps as I see it. It might be expensive pip wise, but isn't planned card draws better for any kind of deck that relies on a gimmicks, like fast advance, rather than the ubiquitous Scorched Earth? That thing only works with tags and money, Precognition just... WORKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
IamSalvation wrote:

It's not about the two together in the sense of a traditional CCG card combo. It's about having the rabbit holes to help against tagging when you need it. And have a way to quickly make some cash for that ONE run that matters when you need it. The iterative way rabbit hole works (if you can afford it) is just dandy for what could otherwise be a click-sink for the pawnshop. You don't have to spend actions drawing cards and actions installing them. It's essentially free ammo for the pawnshop, IF you need it. If you don't, you got yourself much better covered against low level traces.
You install the rabbit holes when you need link, not when you need the money. Not unless you are really strapped for cash.

It's not the cost-efficiency that matters, it's the click-efficiency of the pawnshop and rabbit hole that matters.
Install pawnshop and three rabbit holes: 0 + 3*2 bits = 6 bits (5 bits if spread out over two turns.) & 2 clicks.
Sell cards when needed for a total of 9 = 0 clicks.
1.5 bits/click with the added advantage of a static link bonus until you sell it.

It makes sense since Magnum Opus takes up 2 MU and gives you 2.0 bits/click with no other in-game advantage.

--------------

Also: Is precognition not used, because people don't care for the effect or is precognition not mentioned because it's not a good card?
Ordering the next 5 cards you draw for one click seems to be a VERY good way to make things go your way and is one of the best 'tutoring' options available for the corps as I see it. It might be expensive pip wise, but isn't planned card draws better for any kind of deck that relies on a gimmicks, like fast advance, rather than the ubiquitous Scorched Earth? That thing only works with tags and money, Precognition just... WORKS!

Don´t say Pawn Shop is bad, just wonder how the OP is stressing how great it works with rabbit hole. Yes its nice but nothing to speciel or something you should include the Shop for imho..

@ Precog: I think the Problem is that you can only order them, so if you draw 5 cards you don´t want you can´t do anything about it. Thing this card would get much more love if you could put back on OR under your deck. (or trash some of the cards...)
As its now its a nice card for Jinteki but i don´t see me putting it in other Decks for this cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IamSalvation wrote:
Yeah if you figure out that you don´t need that links its a good way to make some use of them... but if you need the links?

And even if you dont need them.. you pay 6 Credits to get 9?

Does not seem so great to me at all..

Also with Armitage.. you have to leave 2 Credits on it to trash it so you only get one Credit more with the Pawnshop... not so great...

Reasons i see for the Pawnshop is that you can get rid of Wyldside if you don´t need it and you can put in your stuff to have the money ready for your last run... after you won you don´t need your stuff.
But that can be done with a Stimhack too...

Jackwraith wrote:
Again, Aesop's provides versatility and a way out of situations that you'd like to change. Using it to dump Wyldside is obvious, but there are other cards you might have in play that aren't as useful as 3 credits may be when you're making a key run or really need to dump a tag. As I said in another thread, it's the same reason Necro players used to run the Disk. Sometimes you needed to get rid of a situation that was out of your control. Sometimes you needed to get rid of your own Necro (like Wyldside.) Furthermore, if you know you're going to overwrite a program anyway, why not get paid for it?

I'm with David hear. I've read so many threads about how great the pawn shop is but I just don't get it. The combination with Rabbit Hole isn't that lucrative; trashing programs doesn't seem to happen that often if you have constructed your deck correctly; getting 1 or 2 extra credits from bank run also isn't very lucrative.

Maybe we're in a minority here but I don't forsee putting it in my decks for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Maybe we're in a minority here but I don't forsee putting it in my decks for now.

Just try it, you'll see

Aesop is a better version of Smith which already was a great card.

But Smith has a better illustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunning wrote:

Battering Ram, Ninja, and Gordian Blade

These three are the most efficient breaker for each type. It's also worth mentioning Crypsis in this group as I have a love affair with him that goes beyond anything I can explain. Icebreakers can be a bit expensive to use so you always want to try and use the most efficient ones when you can. Also keep in mind that the Shaper breakers keep their strength bonus for the entire run should that come up.

Can you back up your logic on this section with numbers?

image credit: Pyjam

Femme Fatale, with her lower costs on weaker ICE, plus her built in ability to bypass a chosen ICE of any type is arguable more 'efficient' than Ninja.

Gordian Blade costs significantly more than Yog.0 for low end ICE, and Yog.0 with support cards *can* break the higher stuff given time. Otherwise, Gordian blade is the only pumpable codebreaker (other than Crypsis).

Battering Ram I agree with but at 2MU it's a fairly fat program that necessitates additional MU in order to bring the rest of your kit online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Y'all are crazy Aesop's shop is already an amazing card, it'll become a powerhouse engine if we see some kind of Valu-Pack Software Bundle.

As for Aesop + Rabbit hole, ever wish you could run a 43 card deck? Now you can for the bargain price of 5 credits! As an added bonus, the corp's ability to trace you just plummeted.

Don't need the trace protection, and wish you could just chuck it to bring down the price Tag? Aesop will take those off your hands! Over the course of a three stage loyalty program that reduces the price of your 43 card deck by... get this... -9! Yup, you heard it right, you're getting paid to trim your deck, and you even get to decide exactly how much Link you need based on the particular flavor of evil corporation you've found yourself running against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tatta
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
@BT: Awesome chart, much appreciated. Regarding Battering Ram, Shapers typically don't have any problem with MU's with 3x Chips and the Toolbox. I've played 20+ Games with Shapers and I can say that I've only had one time come up where MU's were an issue. I still prefer Ninja over Femme if only for the cost to install but admittedly Shapers do have a surplus of credits at times. I find that once I get a toolbox in play, being able to get Ninja to 5 strength for essentially 1 credit is pretty solid (using the 2 recurring from Toolbox). The argument for Yog is pretty solid, too and I'll give you that one. Still, it's worth keeping in mind that the Blade strength bonus lasts the entire run should it come up.

RE Pawnshop: It's not that Pawnshop is a driving force in making a bucket full of credits (it's not) it's just that it gives your cards a lot more value. I stress Rabbit Hole because the Hole itself "draws" you 2 free cards from your deck for 4 extra credits and then you can use the free cards to generate some credits when you may not otherwise have cards to trash. All I can say about the Pawnshop is please, please try it before getting down on it. I'd never, ever cut it from a Shaper deck at this time.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunning wrote:
@BT: Awesome chart, much appreciated. Regarding Battering Ram, Shapers typically don't have any problem with MU's with 3x Chips and the Toolbox. I've played 20+ Games with Shapers and I can say that I've only had one time come up where MU's were an issue. I still prefer Ninja over Femme if only for the cost to install but admittedly Shapers do have a surplus of credits at times. I find that once I get a toolbox in play, being able to get Ninja to 5 strength for essentially 1 credit is pretty solid (using the 2 recurring from Toolbox). The argument for Yog is pretty solid, too and I'll give you that one. Still, it's worth keeping in mind that the Blade strength bonus lasts the entire run should it come up.

Giving that background (that this is when playing Shaper/Kate) would be helpful in your articles.

Do you revalue the icebreakers when playing Noise or Gabe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hum… Yog.0 is good in a peculiar context (i.e. Noise games) otherwise you might stay blocked a very long time by a Tollbooth.

La Femme Fatale is awesome but if you play her too early she hasn't any good target for her fatal ability.

I think we are supposed to play with Crypsis until we draw a better icebreaker of each kind.
See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9940112#9940112

Thanks for the credit and the kind word about the chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind as well that we're all spinning our wheels over-analyzing a degenerate situation. The game isn't SUPPOSED to have this small a card pool, it's got a lot of growing to do and will keep getting richer as it does. Six months or a year from now we'll have a lot more options (on both sides of the ice/breaker formula) and concepts of how we should be playing will be quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kempe-Cook
United States
BLOOMINGTON
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:

Precognition is very good. Every Jinteki deck should probably run a full set of the card. But at 3 influence, it's difficult to run out of faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sydwys8 wrote:
Stunke wrote:

Precognition is very good. Every Jinteki deck should probably run a full set of the card. But at 3 influence, it's difficult to run out of faction.

no more costly than Scorched Earth, in fact it's less!

That's probably the confusion - as it seems the OP is overvaluing flatlining, at the cost of any other strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

* Corroder vs. Battering Ram is a judgement call that depends on your discount rate for credits and MU. I think Corroder is absolutely the better card for Anarchs.

* Has anyone tried installing both Ninja + Mimic? 7creds/2cards/2actions/2 MU so it's pretty expensive to set up but it is very efficient to use so it should pay back with enough runs considering the number of sentries in the game.

* I cannot endorse Toolbox. There are better things you could be doing when you have 9 creds in your pool than paying for one of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tatta
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
sydwys8 wrote:
Stunke wrote:

That's probably the confusion - as it seems the OP is overvaluing flatlining, at the cost of any other strategy.

Maybe I am overvaluing flatlining a little bit but it's the only reasonable way to win outside of running. That said, you absolutely must be aware of Scorched Earth or else you will lose out of nowhere. I have lost a handful of games due to being Sea Sourced and then Scorched with only 3 cards in my hand. Playing against NBN really makes you reevaluate flatlining and the way you play against certain decks.

Also, yes, I do reevaluate breakers depending on which faction I'm playing as I believe anyone should. That said, I still don't dispute that the ones I mentioned are very effective at what they do and should be considered for out of faction. The way influence works in this game, you can't just play the same 3 breakers in every deck and fit everything else that you may need. Also, at 2 MU's, Battering Ram isn't for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tatta
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
MyckKabongo wrote:

* Corroder vs. Battering Ram is a judgement call that depends on your discount rate for credits and MU. I think Corroder is absolutely the better card for Anarchs.

* Has anyone tried installing both Ninja + Mimic? 7creds/2cards/2actions/2 MU so it's pretty expensive to set up but it is very efficient to use so it should pay back with enough runs considering the number of sentries in the game.

* I cannot endorse Toolbox. There are better things you could be doing when you have 9 creds in your pool than paying for one of these.

1)I agree.

2)I don't see any benefit to having 2 sentry breakers in play eating up MU's unless I'm missing something. Care to elaborate? I'm interested in your thought process.

3)I think that you haven't played with Toolbox yet. If you have, then excuse my assumption. That said, I still think the card is quite good. The extra MU's are very valuable, the link is not irrelevant, and the 2 credits every turn to use on ice breakers is very, very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lindsay
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
MyckKabongo wrote:

Yes it's expensive, but it's only 8 (5 with modded) to the shaper, who is the only runner who should be using it. With 2 recurring credits it's covered its cost after 4 turns of running. That says nothing of the 2mu and 2 link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Netrunning wrote:
MyckKabongo wrote:

1)I agree.

2)I don't see any benefit to having 2 sentry breakers in play eating up MU's unless I'm missing something. Care to elaborate? I'm interested in your thought process.

3)I think that you haven't played with Toolbox yet. If you have, then excuse my assumption. That said, I still think the card is quite good. The extra MU's are very valuable, the link is not irrelevant, and the 2 credits every turn to use on ice breakers is very, very good.

re: Mimic+Ninja, it's akin to Shaka+Big Frackin' Gun from original NR. If you look at Pyjam's awesome chart, you'll see that Mimic is the best breaker vs. cheap sentries while Ninja is the best against big sentries. Notice that either Mimic or Ninja is always the optimal breaker for every single sentry available in the game. With Ninja+Mimic, you're breaking every sentry in the game at the cheapest possible cost.

It has a cost of 11 c/c/a + 2 MU, which is really just 1 MU more than Femme Fatale (11 c/c/a + 1 MU). Femme can counter a particularly gnarly piece of ICE and blow open 1 data fort as a result, but Mimic+Ninja is more versatile with a lower average breaking cost against sentries.

re: Toolbox. No cards in hand, so not playing yet but I'm biased against cards like this from my original NR experience. It comes down to discount rate and alternatives for your spending. The toolbox is going to take several turns to pay off. Those turns can often be the difference between winning and losing. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other cards/actions which are going to have a bigger impact on your probability of winning than the toolbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kempe-Cook
United States
BLOOMINGTON
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
sydwys8 wrote:
Stunke wrote:

Precognition helps a deck run more efficiently. Scorched Earth wins the game. Paying 3 influence to help your run smoother is not worth while when compared to the other things you can spend influence on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sydwys8 wrote:
Precognition helps a deck run more efficiently. Scorched Earth wins the game. Paying 3 influence to help your run smoother is not worth while when compared to the other things you can spend influence on.

Scorched Earth *might* win the game. It might not. The runner could have good protection against tagging, or damage prevention, or you might not get two Scorched Earths until too late (one won't kill the runner). Precognition always does its job, and it's a useful one.

Nobody disputes that Scorched Earth is a good card, but I don't think it makes sense to claim that it's always the best card there is so that every other out-of-faction card has to be compared to it. This implies that flatlining is clearly the best strategy for the corp by a significant margin and I do not believe that is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tatta
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
sydwys8 wrote:

Scorched Earth *might* win the game. It might not. The runner could have good protection against tagging, or damage prevention, or you might not get two Scorched Earths until too late (one won't kill the runner). Precognition always does its job, and it's a useful one.

Nobody disputes that Scorched Earth is a good card, but I don't think it makes sense to claim that it's always the best card there is so that every other out-of-faction card has to be compared to it. This implies that flatlining is clearly the best strategy for the corp by a significant margin and I do not believe that is the case.

One Scorched Earth could very well kill the runner. Not sure how many games you've played as the runner but having less than 4 cards in your hand isn't that uncommon.

I know that we aren't disputing how good Scorched Earth is, but I'd argue that it actually IS the best card for the tagging decks and should always be included as at least a 2-of. Comparing Precognition to Scorched Earth is like comparing apples to oranges. They're completely different cards that do radically different things.

I don't think that anyone is claiming that flatlining is the best thing that you can do as the corporation and I'm certainly not claiming that Scorched Earth should be in every deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunning wrote:
I'm certainly not claiming that Scorched Earth should be in every deck.

I'm claiming that every Runner should assume Scorched Earth is in every deck and that every Corp should act like Scorched Earth is in their deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.