Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: Shops and Games in Australia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I will soon be visiting your wonderful country and I was wondering if there were any good game shops in Melbourne.

Also I was wondering if there was any specifically Australian game that I could buy there (due to space and weight I would only buy something that I can only find in Australia or that is definately cheaper there!).

I know that ADG are australian but I am not sure if their games are suitable!

BTW I will be on my honeymoon, so long detours or gamenights (as much as I would love it) would be out of the question.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind Games is right in downtown Melbourne:

http://www.mindgamesmelbourne.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Antonio-

Welcome. Enjoy your stay. If you have time, get in touch - gaming not essential.

In the middle of the city, Mind Games is the best bet, but they are terribly expensive. Alternatives:

Classic Comics (smaller and cheaper)
Shop 7, 50 Bourke Street

Good Games
Level 1, 365 Lonsdale St
(Strongly focussed on CCGs)

There's only one shop worth travelling for:
Milsims Games
311 Centre Road
Bentleigh
(30 minute train ride to Bentleigh, 2 minute walk)
- cheapest, huge range.

As for local games... the best are designed by Phil81. Archaeology or Dungeon Raiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam vanLangenberg
Australia
Cheltenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
In the middle of the city, Mind Games is the best bet, but they are terribly expensive.
Seconded.

Ozludo wrote:
There's only one shop worth travelling for:
Milsims Games
311 Centre Road
Bentleigh
(30 minute train ride to Bentleigh, 2 minute walk)
- cheapest, huge range.
Doubly seconded.

I did a price check on Agricola a while ago. Mind Games wanted $128, MilSims wanted $82.50...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Honeymoon?!

Milsims (refer above) is the place for your wargames (and others, check out the website milsims.com.au)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
BTW I will be on my honeymoon, so long detours or gamenights (as much as I would love it) would be out of the question.
That's a pity, my wife is from Barcelona and she loves meeting other Spanish - especially for games.

With the poor Euro > Australian $ exchange rate and the relatively high price of Australian games, I'm not sure game purchases is going to save you any money. But Mil Sims is the best.

I love the aforementioned card game Dungeon Raiders but if you want a real Australian game, go for Test Match (second edition) - which in Australia is now called "Test Match".

Best dexterity game out there with the exception of Subbuteo and you'll notice if you're here in October or onwards cricket is played everywhere in Melbourne on a Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola Antonio,

MilSims are great for prices, not so good for service, in my experience.

Mind Games have high prices but good service—in the CBD at least.

If you're looking beyond bricks-and-mortar, then Melbourne's own Unhalfbricking Games is a one-man online shop: http://www.fsgw.com.au/ Very good prices and professional service. The guy who runs it (Julian) will happily show you around his warehouse, I'm sure.

The iconic Australian game is Squatter. It isn't very good but it is iconic. A sort of Aussie Monopoly.

Have fun in Melbourne and if you want to join us at the pub in a not-so-competitive atmosphere, feel free to drop in http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-ga... A couple of our regulars are Spaniards

Hasta luego,
Corey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Moos
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fellow European, I wouldn't recommend buying any games.

I'm about to relocate back to Switzerland and it's cheaper for me to sell my newly acquired games for half the price and buy them again in Europe.

Except the aforementioned typical Aussie games of course. So Milsims won't do much for you probably, just visit Mind Games in the CBD, good store and friendly people (but yes, not cheap).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Milsims does have a wonderful chocolate and lollies shop on the way from the train station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scud wrote:
This is true. You'll probably be shocked at how expensive games are here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
thylacine31 wrote:
scud wrote:
This is true. You'll probably be shocked at how expensive games are here. :(
There is a lot of up keep on the place though - Rolf alone adds another $3.50 to the retail cost of every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thank you everyone for your comments!!

I realized that prices would be high, but, if possible, I would try to get a "souvenir" game from Australia as a honeymoon souvenir. And you get English speaking games (in Spain they mostly only arrive once translated) before we do, so that is also an option. I was also thinking about ADG games (although I already own WiF, Patton in Flames and 7 ages I could try to get upgrades...).

I am SOOO looking forward to seeing your country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
I realized that prices would be high, but, if possible, I would try to get a "souvenir" game from Australia as a honeymoon souvenir.
I just checked their product list, and Mind Games in Melbourne's CBD (i.e. central business district, what Americans call 'downtown') does indeed have a copy of Squatter for sale! http://www.mindgamesmelbourne.com/stock.php

This is it http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2970/squatter

A$45.00 and it's yours!

I almost bought a second-hand copy for $10 last week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite relevant to games, but if you find yourselves in the Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne, would be happy to show you around.

Forests, wildlife, wineries etc.
http://www.experiencethedandenongs.com.au/

(In exchange you can guide me on which of the current crop of Spanish Civil War games would be the best. Deal?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game questions have been answered but there are still the tourism ones! Do you have any questions about what to see and do while you are here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Oh yes, Melissa, my main question is... weather???? I know that it is the end of winter there (we are still well over 30 degrees celsius over here) but I am not sure what kind of weather (rains? snow?) should I be expecting.

Thanks!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No snow near where will be by the sounds.
Lows around 10 C Highs around 20 C but rising as we move into spring.
Melbourne weather is very variable and can be 4 seasons (Australian very so very mild for lows really) in one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean right now?

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

No snow (unless, perhaps, you're in the mountains), but expect rain interspersed with moments of warm sunshine. Where I am, it's starting out grey and cool in the mornings, but bright and sunny by midday. Springtime sees gusty winds that drive hayfever sufferers nuts and the occasional short-lived but ferocious hailstorm. It's chilly at night but not very cold.

They write songs about Melbourne's four-seasons-in-a-day weather. Say, between ten and twenty-odd degrees Celsius right now. It is highly changeable and they say if you don't like it, just wait ten minutes! The trick is to dress in layers: a shirt, maybe a jumper (i.e. sweater or sweatshirt), and a jacket. So, you can take them off or on according to what the weather is doing that particular hour.

As we head into Spring and Summer, the weather will likely warm up—fast!. The really hot temperatures are in January–March, however.

I think you'll find it a pleasant relief from the hot weather in Spain right now.

This might be useful http://www.lonelyplanet.com/australia/melbourne

You'll have a lovely time on your honeymoon, I'm sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Oh yes, Melissa, my main question is... weather???? I know that it is the end of winter there (we are still well over 30 degrees celsius over here) but I am not sure what kind of weather (rains? snow?) should I be expecting.

Thanks!!!!!
What dates will you be here?

Seriously, the weather is not freezing but we are still getting days with a max around 12C - this week is glorious early Spring weather with around 18-20C most days but the wind is cold, and the evenings are cool (I went out last night in a long-sleeved t-shirt and regretted it by about 8pm - needed a light wrap to go over).

If you go to Philip Island (and you should), be prepared to be COLD. I always pack blankets in the car to wrap up in while we wait for those elusive penguins. That said, we did that one year and then wore t-shirts because it was so hot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Shops have been well covered.

Archaeology was picked up by Z-Man so you may be able to get it back in Europe. Dungeon Raiders is probably only available here or from Phil.

You are also unlikely to be able to get Squatter anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I will be there this September 16 or 17 (I am at a loss with the travel time and the time diffeences) I am visiting Melbourne, Sidney, Ayers Rock and Cairns (well, not Cairns properly ).

Thanks for your help!

I have a good idea of shops, games (squatter has been thorougly repeated), and climate! I am ready to spend three weeks in my dreamed of vacation with my dreamed of better half!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
I will be there this September 16 or 17 (I am at a loss with the travel time and the time diffeences) I am visiting Melbourne, Sidney, Ayers Rock and Cairns (well, not Cairns properly :) ).
All the above weather information pertains to Melbourne only. Sydney is similar, but likely a tad warmer, especially in the evenings.

In both central Australia and Cairns, it is far warmer than in the southern capital cities, though in very different ways. At Uluru it's very dry, and the evenings at this time of year can be quite chilly. In Cairns it's almost always fairly warm and humid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks Luke.

I was worried about Sidney and Melbourne as the travel agency had informed us on Uluru and Cairns but for Sidney and Melbourne I was not sure if late winter meant the same as in Spain or the same as in England (or Norway!).

I am glad to see that not only we australia and spain share in common the wonderful people (as this thread shows for australia) but also the climate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my google map of Board Game Shops in Melbourne, Milsims is in red

http://cafegames.wordpress.com/about/buying-games/

If anyone knows of any stores that aren't pinned there, or are closed down, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Here's my google map of Board Game Shops in Melbourne, Milsims is in red

http://cafegames.wordpress.com/about/buying-games/

If anyone knows of any stores that aren't pinned there, or are closed down, please let me know.
The first one that springs to mind that I can't see there is Classic Comics (50 Bourke Street).

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |