Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Games shops and games in Australia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I will soon be visiting your wonderful country and I was wondering if there were any good game shops in Sidney.

Also I was wondering if there was any specifically Australian game that I could buy there (due to space and weight I would only buy something that I can only find in Australia or that is definately cheaper there!).

I know that ADG are australian but I am not sure if their games are suitable!

BTW I will be on my honeymoon, so long detours or gamenights (as much as I would love it) would be out of the question.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Antonio,
Let me the first to say welcome down under.
I'm sure some Sydneysiders will be able to give you the info you need, just wanted to say have a great honeymoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Antonio.

Games Paradise have a store on Pitt St in the middle of town assuming you are staying in the CBD.

You can get an idea of prices in Australia by looking at their website www.gamesparadise.com.au

Squatter is the only Australian game that comes to mind and although it is an old game (1962!) it's quite well regarded.

I highly recommend taking a ferry from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo while you are here. It's a fantastic zoo and has views across the harbour that are unbelievable.

A walk across the Harbour Bridge is also a great thing to do.

Have a great honeymoon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Good Games to be ... good.

They have a number of stores (Sydney, Burwood, Gosford, Wollongong).

Follow the link to their site & put your cursor over the "Stores" link at the top to see where their stores are.

http://www.goodgames.com.au/

The web site tends to concentrate on YuGiOh & Magic the Gathering type of games, but they do have board games as well.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your honeymoon on our hopefully sunny shores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying games in Aus is generally insane - the prices are high due to having to ship them all the way here. We only do it because we have to.

Re essential Australian type games that are worth buying, there's none really that I can think of. There are plenty of games set in Aus or made in Aus, but they're nearly all mass-market trash (and I include Squatter in this) and probably not stuff you want to waste your baggage space on.

Having said that, the Dr Wood line of games and puzzles are probably as close as you get in terms of Aus produced games that are decent, and most of the games stores mentioned already will have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
OOh I love squatters, I grew up on that game I haven't played it as an adult, but it's also on my must get list. We had the version with the sheep heads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatter is now made in China (like most of our wool, wheat, rock, trees and brick) so is not really Australian any more...
There is Schutze games (Australian wargame producer)
https://sites.google.com/site/schutzegames/product-list2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Everytime I see Squatter, I'm disappointed that it's not about people living in abandoned houses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks everyone for your nice comments, I am really looking forward to my trip (and to put an end with the ·$&%$·%&/"·$!"·$!·%&/·%& wedding preparation)!!

I will check the shops there even if it is just to take back home a gaming souvenir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
railroader wrote:
Squatter is now made in China (like most of our wool, wheat, rock, trees and brick) so is not really Australian any more...
There is Schutze games (Australian wargame producer)
https://sites.google.com/site/schutzegames/product-list2

Or a copy of World in Flames? :)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Everytime I see Squatter, I'm disappointed that it's not about people living in abandoned houses...
There's an idea for a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't think I know enough about the squatting experience to write that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Landlord!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:
anomander64 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Landlord!
I was thinking more along the lines of searching garbage skips for food, trying to make meals from scraps, fighting off vermin, renovating by smashing walls, keeping warm by burning floorboards, growing dope to make money, avoiding police raids, drug dealers and the owner. You know, all the good stuff squatters get up to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls