Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arne Hoffmann
Germany
Essenbach
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week certainly went by fast. Thanks everyone for making my week of being GotW a very fun and interesting one!

Biggest fun and pleasure, however, is to nominate a new Geek of the Week. And despite this line probably being the most used in this Forum, I was surprised to see that he has not been nominated GotW before. It is my pleasure to introduce fellow Geek Jeff,

Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb

as our 365th GEEK OF THE WEEK.

JeffyJeff should need no introduction as he brought to us the awesome OLWLG. This tool upped all our mathtrades to a new level, leading to more and more of these great trades taking playce nowadays. But let the man introduce himself:

JeffyJeff wrote:
Firstly I'd like to give a big thanks to Arne Hoffmann for nominating me!  The hardest part is going to be to  narrow down my list of possible successors to one as there are so many more worthy than myself!

Since this is BGG then talking about my gaming background should be next.   I grew up playing the traditional American board and card games.  Monopoly, Sorry!, and the family favorite Pachisi that my grandmother always wanted to play.  Speaking of my grandmother it's in her honor that my favorite player color to be is yellow.  For card games Bid Whist, Nine (3 player Whist), and Poker.  Sadly I didn't learn about Euro style board games until around 2001 and I was already in my 30's, not even the now classic Acquire

I've also have never really been a console "gamer" or a computer based gamer.  The closest I've been is I did (and still have) a TI-99/4a on which I played a few games of Space Invaders.  Prior to that in Jr. High on rare occasions we were allowed to shut down the Edusystem-20 operating system and boot up OS/8 (on the school's PDP-8/e) and play Adventure and Hunt the Wumpus.  On a geeky side note around the holidays we also booted up OS/8 to run some programs which produced music (no sound cards!) that could be picked up by an AM radio and then broadcast over the school's PA system.

And while I never was much of a computer based gamer as a college freshman I did actually write a multi-user graphical (on ascii video terminals) cave exploration/kill monsters on the school's DECsystem-10 mainframe.  It was written in Fortran-66 (even though this was the 80's we didn't have a 77 compiler!) and Macro-10.  And while I named it Melee after the micro-game one of my room mate's had it was nothing like it.  After I entered the working world I started to re-implement it as a network distributed game but never got farther than the basic framework and as such ended my hobby as a computer game designer.

So how did I get into board game's, the type we now all know and love?  Around 2001 while I was running a social organization one of our members came across Border's Bookstore sponsored game nights in their cafe on Monday nights so we put it on our group's calendar.  It wasn't long before I started sponsoring it myself every Monday night even when Border's wasn't.  However the games any of us who attended knew were the standard American fare, trivia games, balderdash, etc.  One week I ran into someone who I knew on-line my old companies internal network and he introduced us to Euro's!  I do remind him periodically and to thank him which I will now publicly do... Thank You...
Eric Postpischil
United States
Merrimack
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Now that I'm sure I've bored any reader who has made it this far, the reason I'm told I've been nominated... I'm sure some of you are surprised but it was not for being on the "hot deals" forum geek police squad , but for my contribution to the BGG sub-culture known as Math Trades.  My contribution is the OLWLG which stands for "On-Line Want List Generator" which if I didn't develop someone else would have as necessity is the mother of invention.  In my case I don't know how many math trades I had participated in when I found it to be a tedious chore to compose my want lists in the proper format.  In addition several math trades had problems (folks trading their games for games they didn't think were on their want lists) show up after the results were posted due to this tedious nature and other quirks from composing one's want lists by hand.   Over time I've incrementally added features which has made it easier for someone to not only participate in a math trade, but to run one so now it seems there are always at least half a dozen math trades running around the world (as of this writing there are a dozen).  Hope this isn't as boring as it sounds to me trying to proof read it!

Jeff, this is not boring at all. Quite the contrary, your early years of computer programming sound quite fascinating to me. Let me get a couple questions out to you.

1) Which approach did your cave exploration/kill monsters game follow? A determinstic, pre-defined path or more a random nature? Did your monsters have AI? Could the game be won or did you play until you died?
2) You have no 10-rated game. Why? What criteria would a game need to fulfill to receive top marks from you?
3) What happens if you cannot play yellow?
4) The first Euros that Eric introduced you to were?
5) What was your most memorable (good or bad) gaming experience?
6) Do you have a motto in life? A motto in gaming?
7) I understand that each trade set up in the OLWLG still needs manual input on your side. How much time do the trades take up each week for you? Do you plan on further automating this process?
8) What was your trade that other useres would think most lopsided?
9) What would be a fitting 1000th game in your collection?
10) What advice would you give a new geek regarding trading on BGG?

So much for now. Enjoy your week - your contribution to BGG is most valuable and you have earned every ounce of the GotW!

Poll
Jeff's two truths and one lie
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Actor Peter O'Toole once spat on me.
34.0% 72
In 2008 President Bill Clinton sat on my table at a famous NH dinner.
26.9% 57
I almost poked out one of comedian Bill Crosby's eyes.
39.2% 83
Voters 212
This poll is now closed.   212 answers
Poll created by HRune
Closes: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm not so dumb I got a thumb But on the phone Apposable But in re-dealing on the daily road Superiority is nothing but A friendly man with monkey hands A friendly mom with monkey pawns
mbmbmbmbmb
COngratulations, Jeff!
Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Congratulations Jeff and thanks again for the OLWLG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally! Congrats and thanks for the great tool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many congrats - long may Math Traders reign supreme!

I have met Peter O'Toole and no way would he have deliberately spat on you. However, after a few drinks he was not always on best behaviour - so I go for that as a truth. As to the others, no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, surprised he wasn't a GotW earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
"How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist..."
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jeff!

It's about time you got chosen

A Sunrise or sunset?
B Lake or ocean?
C Your all time favourite board game?
D Is there any board game you truly dislike?
E What was the last game you bought?
F What will be next one to buy?
G What was the last game your traded away? What did you trade it for?
H What colour do you like to play?
I If you would have to pick just one artist / band and never listen to anything else, which one would you pick and why?
J Are those your cats in your avatar?

Anyone who has ever participated in any Math Trade, would have seen your avatar. It is so nice to actually get to learn more of you. Hope you have fun and enjoy your week, truly deserved

EDIT: And thank you so much for the OLWLG!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats and thanks for all your work on the OLWLG! I started math trading after it was already implemented, and I'm not sure I even would've ever participated in them if it was the old manual way.

1. What are the top 3 new features you'd love to implement on OLWLG if time and resources were no object?

2. What's your "best"/"favorite" trade in a math trade you've ever done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JJ! You have changed math trading (and trading) forever. Your (admittedly repetitive ) submission confirmation geekmails always bring the hope of new games to play. I have discovered some gems and obtained some grails only because of your continued commitment.

(Great pick Arne! Couldn't have done it better myself... oh wait! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! Jeffy/Jeff while as 'moi' was TOLD that there would "B" NO MATHS 'involved' here, and can we 'count' on YOU to "keep it that way"?... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
YOLO solo
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jeff! I too am surprised you have not been thus honored previously.

As to your truths and a lie - are you referencing comedian Bill Cosby, or singer/light comedy actor Bing Crosby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jeff. Thanks for the OLWLG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes H.
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
Meat is for pussies!
badge
Karma is a funny thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jeff!!! Another well deserved GotW.
Thanks for your enormous contribution to BGG.

Stexe wrote:

Me too! Excellent choice Arne. Is there a list of former GotW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
dixijo wrote:
Is there a list of former GotW?

http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/232
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.

Congrats!

So, why is Money! your highest rated game?
Is it also your most played game?
Do you currently have a black cat (what is it's name)?
What's there to do in Windham Mas?
A lot of contests you've entered, win any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
How has Jeff not yet been GotW?! Congrats and well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Many hoopy congratulations Jeff, enjoy your week.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jeff.

All the Hot Deals forum mis-posters organized a Cabal against his nomination.

Thanks for all that you do to make this site and its associated components work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jeff!!!!
Enjoy your week...
Thanks again for the OLWLG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wahoo! Go, Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS Jeff!

A few war-ish games, tons of Euros and assorted boardgames. You seem to be a pretty solid boardgame fan, not too many distractions from your chosen genre.

Okay, have a seat and we'll get started.

d10-0 You don't seem to have a problem with combat or battle oriented games; is there any reason there aren't more wargames in your collection?
d10-1 Your claim to fame is your OLWLG math trades app. What was the main reason you decided to be the one to write it?
d10-2 Do you participate in many math trades these days?
d10-3 What is the greatest appeal of the math trades, from your experience?
d10-4 The size of your collection belies a common trait of many board gamers. What is the main reason why your collection is so large?
d10-5 What is your primary motivation for acquiring a new game?
d10-6 How often do the older games (outside of your top 10) see time on the gaming table?
d10-7 On average how many plays does it take for the 'shine' to wear off of a new game?
d10-8 What makes your top games special to you?
d10-9 When is it time for a game to go into the Trade bin?
Thank you for your time, is there anything you'd like to add?

Enjoy your week!
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
talismanisland wrote:
dixijo wrote:
Is there a list of former GotW?

http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/232

Or, if you want to know the order, http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geek_of_the_Week

Enjoy your week in the spotlight, Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.