David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
WARNING: This expansion is only for you if you've played the snot out of the base game, and need freshness and a different challenge. The base game can take a lot of mileage, even after (maybe 'especially after') you are familiar with all of the cards, and this expansion should be sprinkled in with caution.

On the bright side, the expansion deck includes the base-game cards, and is a different size, so you can easily switch between base and expansion (instead of having to fish them out before the game).

On the downer side, the component issues with the expansion are well-documented, but nothing game-breaking. Disappointing though that they didn't enlarge the card text more with the bigger card size. I also selfishly wish they could get rid of the Spanish text and give more real-estate to enlarged English text. devil

Back to my point: don't put the expansion in if you're not ready, because all the expansion does is add game time, be it deck construction at the start or draw-2 discard-1 at the start of your turn. Since one of the biggest selling points of 2 de Mayo is its sub-30min playtime, this is a heavy no-no, especially when introducing the game to new players. The dilution of the deck with 'what-if' events also detracts from the theme for new players, and is welcome only after you have fully explored the history through the base game.

I also don't like it when the designer gives you a bunch of components, throws a bunch of variant rules at you (in this case, 6), and asks you to pick your favorite. I paid for the design; tell me which is the best way, and forget about the others! Or leave just 1-2 variants, maximum, in the back of the rules. There is a recommended way here, but it doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, and really, all of the pre-game deck-seeding rules feel artificial and do not add to the theme at all. I'd rather this game have shipped with solely the best way to play it (IMO, and ironically, the BGG user-suggested way): draw-2-discard-1 at the start of your turn. Forget deck-building: this game wasn't made for it.

Not a total disaster on game and component design, because some of the expansion cards are pretty cool. The eponymous 'Assault on Palace Grimaldi', simulating a kamikaze attack, is especially epic. And 1 of the cards combats the French auto-decision to pick Artillery at the start (make the blitz victory impossible for the Spanish if the French hasn't played Artillery).

In terms of value though, don't bother with this until you really have played the base game to death. This expansion doesn't improve the game, only gives it some extra life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
This was a really good review. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wanted to know a bit more about how the expansion felt and your review helped a lot. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say... I would never complain about "variants" like presented in this format. I actually think you are getting MORE design for your money than in most games where they only present a few options. In fact some of my favorite games are ones that have a host of options you can play with each time. But that may just be me...

Note this is just in response to the comment about how paying for the design. I just got this today and haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.