Subject: Beginning Runner Advice Needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a beginning player, and I feel like the Corporation always wins. How is the runner supposed to accomplish anything before the game is over? There are multiple types of ice, so even by the time the runner gets an icebreaker, that only gives a chance of defeating one type of ice.

But by the time the runner has several types of icebreakers, the game is nearly over, and the Corp has amassed a ton of credits.

What does the runner do? Bite the bullet and force the Corporation to spend credits rezzing ice, even though the runner will likely fail to bypass it, which gives the runner brain damage, tags, or trashed programs?

I just don't get how to approach the game as a runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Early game is key. Run early and often. Don't allow the Corporation to freely amass credits. Force them to rez ice and call their bluff if they have multiple unrezzed ice in a server. Often they won't be rich enough to rez them all. Don't be too scared of ice. Don't run as your final action unless you're absolutely sure you won't get tagged or worse.

If they're turtling and not creating any secondary servers try to hit up their R&D or HQ. You need to stay on the offensive.

Consider including all 3 copies of Special Order in your Runner decks so you can quickly find the correct ice breaker you need in any given situation. When you're locked out of most of the servers focus on your own economy. You'll need credits eventually so it never hurts to have them.

Just keep pressure on your opponent. If you allow them to call all the shots they'll easily keep winning. You need to ruin their plans and force them to spend credits when they would like to instead hold onto them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Run early, run often. Run on HQ and R&D. You should almost always be running on at least one of them in your very first turn. Especially if your opponent hasn't protected them.

Don't be afraid of damage (but make sure to keep your hand full).

Force the corp to rez their ICE. Don't let them stockpile credits.

Generally speaking, the longer the game goes on, the more it favors the corporation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is useful to think of the typical Netrunner game as proceeding in three stages.

In the Early Game, the Runner has the advantage and should hit the Corp anywhere he can without undue risk. Forcing the Corp to reduce his credit reserve to rez defenses can be key. Frankly, if R&D or HQ are exposed, I hit them with every click until it no longer seems prudent.

The Mid Game arrives once the Corp has reasonable defenses in place protecting R&D, HQ, and probably one remote server. (Note that these can be unrezzed ice if the Corp has a good-sized stash of credits). The advantage swings to the Corp, who must offset any gains by the Runner from the Early Game.

In the Late Game, the Runner's rig is more or less fully set up, and it becomes a race between the Corp finishing their last agenda(s) and the Runner having enough money to break in wherever she pleases.

This is just broad strokes; some games will not follow this arc, and many end before proceeding through all stages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I played runner, I did *one* run the entire game. I got 2 points, but also a tag which the corp used to trash my entire economy. After that the game was effectively over. Note that the Corp got lucky and got to rez 4 pieces of ice for free in that game, while I didn't get any icebreakers until the game was half over. Only the archives were unprotected on turn 1, and there were never unprotected servers after turn 1. Add some good money cards for the the Corp, and you can see how brutal it was.

Doing a run that you know you will lose seems counter-intuitive. In other games, you would want to build up an economy instead of attacking right out of the gate if the defender has the advantage like that.

How often is often? Clearly, I wouldn't want to do 4 runs in one turn with no credits. Even a single run will suck multiple turns worth of credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
It is useful to think of the typical Netrunner game as proceeding in three stages.

In the Early Game, the Runner has the advantage and should hit the Corp anywhere he can without undue risk. Forcing the Corp to reduce his credit reserve to rez defenses can be key. Frankly, if R&D or HQ are exposed, I hit them with every click until it no longer seems prudent.

The Mid Game arrives once the Corp has reasonable defenses in place protecting R&D, HQ, and probably one remote server. (Note that these can be unrezzed ice if the Corp has a good-sized stash of credits). The advantage swings to the Corp, who must offset any gains by the Runner from the Early Game.

In the Late Game, the Runner's rig is more or less fully set up, and it becomes a race between the Corp finishing their last agenda(s) and the Runner having enough money to break in wherever she pleases.

This is just broad strokes; some games will not follow this arc, and many end before proceeding through all stages.

Yes, but the corp goes first, so both HQ and R&D should be protected by the Runner's first turn (with one action left for a card to increase credits). Mid-game should arrive before the runner's second turn.

The first run can result in a tag or brain damage. One tag can effectively take the runner out of the game. Brain damage is a permanent disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
sdiberar wrote:

Yes, but the corp goes first, so both HQ and R&D should be protected by the Runner's first turn (with one action left for a card to increase credits). Mid-game should arrive before the runner's second turn.

The first run can result in a tag or brain damage. One tag can effectively take the runner out of the game. Brain damage is a permanent disadvantage.

The only Brain damgage ICE is Haas, and you can pass Haas ice by spending clicks.. just don´t run with your last click?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
Yes, but the corp goes first, so both HQ and R&D should be protected by the Runner's first turn (with one action left for a card to increase credits).

I would bet that this will not be true in many games. You are saying that the Corp will always have two cheap ice and a credit gainer in their opening hand. Even with a mulligan, that won't happen every time. And yes, with a full hand (and not with my last click) I would run to force the Corp to rez that ice and spend its money.

Quote:

Meh. One brain damage is not a bit deal. And you should have the click and 2 cred to handle a tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
How often is often? Clearly, I wouldn't want to do 4 runs in one turn with no credits. Even a single run will suck multiple turns worth of credits.

Whenever doing so gets you an advantage, whether it's a possible agenda or forcing the Corp to rez ICE at a inopportune moment (i.e. they now no longer have enough credits to rez ICE on another server... which you should then run.)

It helps to have a way to rid yourself of the possible bad effects (tags, damage, etc) but depending on the status of the game you might not have that luxury. So drop the idea of that luxury sooner than later, accept the fact that your advantage tends to shrink as the game goes along unless you find a revenue stream, and plan to get those agenda points the only way you can.

Plain and simple: If you're not running, you're losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
But by the time the runner has several types of icebreakers, the game is nearly over, and the Corp has amassed a ton of credits.

There's a losing position for the runner - a rich corp, sitting doing whatever it likes behing banks of unrezzed ice.

Now you recognise that as a losing position, you have to start following the advice already given in this thread - bite the bullet and start running, from turn one.

In Texas Hold'em there's a principle that you bet for information. Betting is how you get other people to describe the strength of their hand.

Similarly, you run for information. Run R&D and you get to see the corp's next card. Run HQ and you get to see a card they have. Forcing them to rez ice shows you what you need to break. And gives information on how badly they want to protect that server.

Every credit spent rezzing ice is a credit not spent on gaining more credits or upgrades or advancement counters. A rich corporation is a dangerous corporation. You have to take calculated risks (ie running) to try and keep the corp player poor. Make them spend.

I understand your frustration. But the moment you play the corp against an aggressive runner who is hitting everything, trashing your bit gainers and stealing agenda all over the place while you can barely rez a single piece of ice you'll suddenly wonder how the corp is ever meant to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody here has yet told me how often is often enough. I really have no idea what is reasonable. Please give me numbers.

Also, how many credits should I have to make a run? At what point should I bother to install my first icebreaker (and actually try to succeed at a run, which implies having money)? Is it ever worth bothering to run at a server with rezzed ice?

From everything I've read here, my last game was doomed from the start -- the corp got 4 free rezzed pieces of ice and several money makers right away, and my first run got my economy trashed.

Oh, and I've played corp. I won really easily, but my natural play style is conservative, defensive, and economical -- and that's also why grasping the runner is really hard for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Load OCTGN, get online, I'll show you how to play as runner

I've won some games without installing a single icebreaker
Though I admit, that is a rare occurrence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar problem with one of the guys I taught the game to - he was a no-risk Runner and spent the whole game complaining about how much stronger the Corp was, and how broke the game must have been to allow the "invincible" Corp to overpower the Runner so easily.

So, after I won 7-3, we switched decks.

He spent the next game complaining about how disadvantaged the Corp was, how it was unfair that I could run him down on creds and grab his Agendas before he could draw them, how hard it was to defend himself when I was running so often. I totally obliterated him 7-0 with nothing on the table except Magnum Opus and Crypsis - an unlikely game state.

I asked him about the irony. "Well if both sides have overpowered advantages, wouldn't that mean they're actually balanced?"

"No," he replied, "It means this game is f*#&in' stupid. I'm done with it."

- - - - -

The advice the others gave above really will help. Be aggressive early on. On the first turn, maybe the second and/or third, run HQ and R&D before you even play any cards (though I do love leading with Sure Gamble if I have it). That way, if you get tagged or damaged, you can clear the tags or draw back up with the rest of your turn; if you see an HB ICE that does brain damage, you have extra clicks to prevent it. If they get money, make them spend it rezzing ICE. If they won't, revel in your free agendas/information. Don't be scared to spend entire turns in the midgame spending clicks for money to fuel your breakers, or cards if you still need breakers.

Experience means a LOT in Netrunner; no net-deck or play-by-play strategy guide can replace the tactical flexibility and raw instinct that comes from losing (and, eventually, winning) a lot of games. Just keep trying; hell, you can even learn some tricks by watching more experienced players and seeing how they play, like the A:NR GenCon Tournament Final:

Best of luck to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steiger
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
karat wrote:
Nobody here has yet told me how often is often enough. I really have no idea what is reasonable. Please give me numbers.

Also, how many credits should I have to make a run? At what point should I bother to install my first icebreaker (and actually try to succeed at a run, which implies having money)? Is it ever worth bothering to run at a server with rezzed ice?

From everything I've read here, my last game was doomed from the start -- the corp got 4 free rezzed pieces of ice and several money makers right away, and my first run got my economy trashed.

I am not exaggerating when I say that your first 2 actions of the game should often be runs - HQ and R&D. Any ice the Corp can afford to rez two of (one for HQ, one for R&D) on your first turn won't do enough to permanently hinder you, and you need to keep the pressure on their economy by forcing them to pay to rez them.

It's absolutely worth bothering to run at a server with rezzed ice, especially when that ice doesn't end the run. For example, if I have a decent link or a few credits, I'll happily run against a rezzed Ichi 1.0, especially when I have no icebreakers for it to trash - worst thing that happens is the trace, and that's defeatable.

If you wait to run until you have icebreakers, you'll lose. Forcing the Corp to rez ice, even if it ends the run, is often a net gain for you - it cost them X credits and just cost you the click for the run. Once you know what the ice you're up against on any particular server is, then you can start dropping the icebreakers you need and calculating exactly how many credits it'll take to break each piece. That's why exposing cards is so powerful, but if you don't have any exposers, just do it the old-fashioned way: run it.

This is not like Magic, where you can have two players who both turtle up until they feel comfortable with their positions and then start slugging away at each other. If both Corp and Runner just build up indefinitely, Corp will win every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayroomEJS wrote:
This is not like Magic, where you can have two players who both turtle up until they feel comfortable with their positions and then start slugging away at each other. If both Corp and Runner just build up indefinitely, Corp will win every time.

Some Runners are more able to turtle though. A fully kitted Kate will steamroll the Corp more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:

That's the challenge with the runner. There ARE no hardcore rules, just principles. You could run like crazy and fall right into traps and snares. On the other hand, you could play extremely conservatively and let the Corp control the flow of the game.

My general principles are:
*) If it makes sense to run, run at least once per turn. AT LEAST.
*) If I make a successful run at R&D and gain an agenda, I run against R&D until I don't gain an agenda.
*) If all ice in a tower is "end the run"-free, you have all the info you need. Suss out when you can handle the effects of the ice, break what you must, and steal like a madman. The Corp has essentially said, "Yep, I don't care." (Which could mean they can't draw the "end run" ice they need, or it could just as easily be a misdirect on their part.)
*) Reasons why I should run NOW include: I have enough credits to break through a server and can access a card that has a greater than normal chance of getting me an agenda, I want to regain control over the perceived position of strength in the game, I want the Corp to reveal information and lose credits that he could otherwise spend advancing agendas by rezzing ICE.
*) Reasons why I should run LATER include: I need to restock my hand for health reasons, I don't have enough credits to make a successful run with the information at hand (plus a handful more for when he rezzes any unknown ice) and therefore I should focus on getting more credits this turn, another server is a better target, I lack an icebreaker that breaks a known "end the run" subroutine, I want to lull the Corp into a false sense of its own security.
*) Save the last 'click' of your round for housekeeping: Draw for cards you may have lost, spend credits/resources to remove tags, and so on. The last 'click' is me-time.

So from my perspective, there is no hard-coded number. There's just times when it is better to run and times when it's not. When I'm on the fence, it's because I'm worrying about the risk/reward ratio. And that's 90% of the game: figuring out that ratio for each run and reading your opponent's 'tells'.

What do you do when a Corp player drops a remote server with absolutely NO ice on a remote server? Well, me, I tend to run like hell on it. It's usually a non-advanced PAD campaign (which tells me I should save 4 credits before the run to trash it) or a Snare (which tells me I should have a full hand of cards unless the Corp has no credits to activate it). Or maybe the Corp is gutsy (or foolish) enough to drop an agenda out there that requires 3 advancements and hopes to rez it all next turn.

All I know as a runner is, in order to win the game I need to be running. That's my path to victory. I should be doing it as early and as often as possible. Within reason. See below.

Quote:

Consider this position: It's your first turn. The Corp has dropped only one piece of ice, and it's on HQ. This leaves R&D open to run for zero credit cost. It's open season. RUN.

But also, there's a pretty good bet that there's something in HQ the Corp is trying to protect. Depending on how I was feeling, I might make a first-turn blind run on HQ with no icebreakers at all. If he doesn't have enough credits to rez the ice, it's the same as no ice at all. And if he DOES rez the ice? There go his credits for the first few turns, which gives me time to plan. If it's ice that damages me, say, Neural Katana, I take the 3 points of net damage and march on... and I STILL get access to his hand and (probably) at least 20-40% chance of winning some agenda points or trashable assets this turn. Sometimes a blind run is worth it.

You should have enough credits to break any ice subroutines whose subroutines you don't want to suffer (royal "you"). The desire to suffer those subroutines is, again, on a sliding scale. Again, if the subroutines don't say "end the run", you can plow right through any rezzed ice, and if you've installed the right icebreakers and have the credits to pump them up, you don't have to suffer at all. (You should also have a way to generate credits, because you'll need them.)

So when to drop an icebreaker? Whenever you have one in your hand that affects the rezzed ice on the table. Take that economical part of your play style, calculate the cost/benefit ratio, and fill up your MU. The more variety, the better. But if the Corp's got no ice that ends the run and you're willing to suffer the effects, there's no capital-N Need to install any icebreakers. (That said, you'll want icebreakers.)

Quote:

Yeah, that sounds like a crazy lucky draw out the gate from the Corp. They happen. Brush that dirt off your shoulder and run.

Quote:
Oh, and I've played corp. I won really easily, but my natural play style is conservative, defensive, and economical -- and that's also why grasping the runner is really hard for me.

Yeah, the runner tends to be the antithesis of "conservative". In order to be effective in this game of cat-and-mouse, you've got to know when you're the cat and when you're the mouse. In the first few hands, the runner is totally the cat, and your job is to make the Corp sweat. Run. Make him rez that ice. No ice means you've got free reign. You lose that advantage soon enough; your job is to then get that advantage back ASAP.

That sometimes means moving (at times) one 'click' sooner than you'd like, taking a risk to gain that advantage. Even with a fat bank, running is gambling, and gambling is odds. So assume a Corp's deck is 20% agenda, 40% ice, and 40% other. Now assess the battlefield. 100% chance of something hidden behind a remote server, but you'll probably pay dearly for it. 20% agenda draw of HQ. X% agenda draw of R&D, based on the number of agendas seen so far in the game. Where is the best place to run? You start to get an intuitive feel.

But there's no hard math for me outside of the percentages. It's all probability, intuition, and luck. I've got a feeling you'll be a fearsome runner once you 'grok' your odds. Your position is better off than you think, usually. So... y'know, good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:

There is no magic formula for how often you should run. But in a game called Netrunner when you playing teh Runner, once is clearly insufficient.

As others have said, run early and run often. I would advocate running against both HQ & R&D as your first two actions. Even if they have ICE.

what you are describing sounds like a dream start for the Corp - something like Hedge Funds, plus 2 pieces of ICE that cost 9 or less combined and not only end the run but also give a Tag and Damage. Even then, you can run both HQ and R&D, forcing the Corp to Rez them and spend the credits, and you can still spend your other two actions drawing a card and removing a Tag. At the end of the first turn, you have 3 more credits than the Corp and know what ICE the Corp has.

In circumstances less than these perfect Corp starts, you'll gain information about what is the next Corp card and also a card they have in hand. If you can continue to run HQ and/or R&D each turn you can quickly work out what cards the Corp has and suddenly you become aware of what ICE the Corp is laying and what Agenda/Asset options the Corp is likely to be placing.

Don't start as the Runner thinking you need to setup an economy along with defences and a suite of ICE Breakers. You need to force the Corp to play your game - they will outplay the Runner in the rush to setup a perfect tableau. Force the Corp to Rez ICE - it's not neally as threatening as you think, but make sure you have clicks and credits remaining ready to draw cards or remove Tags.

It's ok to win the game with no credits remaining - use your resources wisely and don't simply draw a card or take a credit because you're not sure what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:

The Corp did all this on the first turn? No? Then you had some opportunities to change the situation by running.

As for your economy getting trashed, if you ran on your last click (and couldn't avoid a tag) then you need to stop doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
RTFM!
mbmbmbmb
Mateui wrote:
...Run early and often...

This. 100% this. A corp can't afford to res enough ice to protect everything early-game. Whatever they can't protect, it's all yours until the ice goes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:

Runners have to be brash and probe the Corp's defenses often. Conservative play will rarely work (exception: If you've already won as the Corp in a match, once you get above your opponent's Agenda point total for that game, you can play as conservatively as you like; you've already won the match).

The Corp knows what ICE he has out, but you don't until you run. Don't assume the ICE is impenetrable--a lot of it just does Traces or costs you a card; roll with it and keep probing. Make the Corp pay to rez his ICE--oftentimes they won't because they know they need the creds more for something else or they've installed something they can't pay for. That's very useful information but you can only get it by running. If you hit ICE you can't break that ends the run, so be it. That's not a negative result (some ICE really does hurt you but you have to take that risk; it's definitely going to hurt you if you let the Corp amass a big stack of credits before you start running on him). The Corp had to pay for that effect and now you know what you're facing. You should have Special Order in your deck; probing tells you what icebreaker you should go get.

This is especially true in the early game when the Runner has the advantage. The Corp's economy won't be set up yet, either, and the more servers they have, the thinner they're spread. Hit them as often as you can, even if you don't have many credits yourself. Once you've made the Corp spend to rez ICE, you can (almost) always jack out if that's the prudent thing to do.

How many creds you need and how often you should run depend on the board state; there are no hard and fast numbers to be given. A heavily defended server obviously requires more creds than an unprotected one. When running an unprotected server, you can go with none, or just a few creds to trash cards if you get the chance (not required, just nice). By the time the Corp has heavily protected servers in most games, you should have your rig largely set up. Then it's a race. But you won't win the race unless you run.

The tension and constant need to second guess the other side is part of what makes this game great. With some play experience, you'll start to get a feel for when you should push and when you should hold back. But you will have to push or the Corp will always beat you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic deserves a lot more than 3 thumbsup.
It's full of very good advices given by very competent players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:

1) Your VERY FIRST ACTION as a runner should be a run. If you never looked at your hand and ran as your first action, you would be right most of the time. In general, I run R&D first, although this is less certain.
1a) If your first run was successful (no ice rezzed, you trashed a card in R&D) do it again.
1b) If your opponent rezzed ice and ended your run (or R&D was otherwise a dud) but you aren't otherwise hurt, run HQ.

If you got tagged, remove it. If you took damage, draw cards.

If your opponent rezzed ice, look at your hand and see if you have the appropriate ice breaker. If so, gain bits and play it.

2) Your last action is probably gaining a bit, drawing a card (if you are under hand max or playing a card to build your position. Don't make SPECULATIVE runs as your final action. (Being tagged or down cards when the corps turn starts leaves you exposed). Making a run against R&D or any fort that has no unrezzed ice/upgrades and you know how much it will cost you can be done as the last run (assuming you don't plan on getting tagged/damaged).

Once you actually have some programs down, you have to worry about "Trash a program" ice. (If you have a sentry breaker and lots of bits, you don't have to worry much).

I try to make at least one run a turn.

In the early game, this is a minimum. In the mid game, this will fall as setting up a rig takes time. In general, I draw cards rather than take a single bit, unless I need every card in my hand and it would put me over the limit. You need a good credits and card engine. In the mid game, I may fall to as much as a run every other turn (as I'll be dropping programs that cost me ~5 credits, so I'll need to gain them, and draw cards).

In the end game, unless I'm worried that the corporation can drop an agenda and win in a single turn, I'll be building up to make a big run (or two). At that point, the real issue is worry about traps (like Agressive Secretary). In the end game, you should be able to defeat any single fort ... once. But it's expensive. If the corp deck can win in a single turn, then you just have to bite the bullet and hit R&D/HQ/Archives and hope to get lucky OR gain credits before the corp can win. Or play a stim hack or two.

[If the corp is building an uber-fort of deep powerful ice, you need to run it to force him to rez it, then hit another fort. If you can't get an agenda once it's installed, you'll have to grab it from R&D or HQ].

You can, instead of runs, use Forged Activation Orders and other tricks, but the point of early runs is to force the corporation to rez their ice, so you know what you are up against and force the corp to spend their actions gaining a single credit, instead of more efficiently.

Netrunner is all about risk vs reward. Until you've played, your judgement on this will be poor. So take risks and learn which ones are good and which ones are bad. Don't play it safe. If you lose, the game will be over quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you only made 1 run the entire game, you are playing WAY too conservatively. Run at unrezzed ice to make them pay for it, maybe it wont even keep you out, and then you know what you are dealing with. try and keep the corp as broke as possible, and hit them wherever they are weakest. I try to run atleast once per turn if at all possible, and will often run multiple times a turn early game especially. runner playstyle can feel risky, but its usually correct to be somewhat risky. waiting to do any running until you have a ton of bits and all breakers is just asking for trouble, and gives the corp WAY too much time to do as they please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:

What do you do when a Corp player drops a remote server with absolutely NO ice on a remote server? Well, me, I tend to run like hell on it. It's usually a non-advanced PAD campaign (which tells me I should save 4 credits before the run to trash it) or a Snare (which tells me I should have a full hand of cards unless the Corp has no credits to activate it). Or maybe the Corp is gutsy (or foolish) enough to drop an agenda out there that requires 3 advancements and hopes to rez it all next turn.

Oh man, I'd love to play against you with my Jinteki deck. >

In my opinion, there is no perfect strategy. Each faction matchup forces each side to play slightly differently. I've played games where I did not run on my first turn, because I needed setup so that my second turn would be absolutely devastating. Yes, the runner needs to run often at the start, no doubt about it, but there are starting hands which make it more beneficial to setup slightly first.

But never try to over-prepare. Any time I see a runner who is waiting for one Icebreaker of each type before they even start running, I know I've won the game. It doesn't matter if it's Kate. The advantage of not knowing what they're running into is immense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
karat wrote:

The Corp did all this on the first turn? No? Then you had some opportunities to change the situation by running.

As for your economy getting trashed, if you ran on your last click (and couldn't avoid a tag) then you need to stop doing that.

Turn 1:
As Haas-Bioroid:
Biotic Labor (-$4)
Install Accelerated Beta Test (+$1 for being HB)
Advance
Advance
Advance {pointed out that this is 1 credit above what the Corp has}
Score and activate the Accelerated Beta Test
Install/Rez the three ICE you just drew

Runner's Turn

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.