United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts on every Runner card

Note: when this article was written ONLY the FIRST set was out. Later sets may print cards that overshadow existing cards or counter them, and make them much worse, or allow new combos making something much better.

These are my initial thoughts on the cards after some testing of the new cards. I have also played tons of original Netrunner, dating back to 1996.

Rating system:
There are two ratings for each card, in the format:
/

The first of the two ratings is the IN-faction rating. It denotes how strong the card is typically in the same color deck.
The second rating is for out of faction decks buying it with influence. It denotes how useful it is for other colors,taking influence cost into account. Neutral cards don't have out of faction ratings.

: Very strong. Significant splash target for influence point spending. You pretty much always want this in a deck that can play it. If its a card that requires building around, its probably worth doing, to the detriment of cards that don't work well with it.

: Staple. Most decks of this color will use this / other colors will often want to splash this card.

: Moderate. Its probably in your deck at the moment, but when expansions come out you're looking at this as a potential target to cut. Maybe it only works well in a deck that's really focused on it, or it might be a good lategame 1-of card that you don't want early.

: Very niche or bad.

: Even worse.

Ratings are less meaningful than the actual commentary. Due to card scarcity of options, a lot of cards are rated that would likely fall to with more sets, as realistic alternatives come out, and cards could fall to .

Note: I have now added 's to the ratings.

Neutral Runner Cards:

Infiltration: Can save you from a disastrous run of a trap, help you know what ice to prepare for if you have limited time, or in a pinch gain $2. Most decks should have these right now given there relatively limited choices.

Sure gamble: Its score from original Netrunner. Basically required. Would only cut if in the future decks become super strong and have a better money combo (like the old Bodyweight Synthetic Blood/Organ Donor combo from original Netrunner).

Access to Globalsec: Would play only if you expect heavy tracing (set 2 might make this better!). I would rather splash three Rabbit Holes right now, and/or play rash Space.

Crypsis: Its pretty slow and expensive, and this isn't the old Netrunner days where you had a deck with many loans from Chiba or Lucidrine Booster Drugs to power an expensive all-icebreaker. But it could be useful if you build around it, or as an emergency plan.

Armitage Codebusting: Right now this is one of the best runner money sources, so you play it. A Shaper deck with three Magnum Opus might skip it.

Anarch Cards
The Virus suite is quite good, and your ice strength reduction allows you to use the efficient Anarch icebreakers Yog and Mimic. Noise will usually provide one free agenda in Archives per game, and you can build up an unstoppable attack on R&D with the Medium virus, and force the opponent to let you timewalk to reset it. Bonus card draw from Wyldside helps you assemble all of your combo pieces.

Deja Vu: /
Can be good as an emergency plan to get back a trashed icebreaker or something like that, but its best use is in recurring Parasites. Still, probably only a 1-of since its not really useful until late.

Demolition Run: /
Good with Medium to trash a bunch of R&D cards and get to new stuff, but that's mostly what its for. In the future, with a card that lets you access several from HQ at once could get better.

Stimhack: /
Why did they rename Lucidrine Booster Drug? Ironically, Anarch players don't need it much since their breakers are cheap to use, and they have ice strength reduction. But I forsee many other decks splashing this, and Anarch decks still using it some as a backup plan, or to fuel Crypsis or Wyrm.

Grimoire: /
Very important for a virus deck, not good out side of that. I run two in my Anarch deck and they are quite critical.

Cyberfeeder: / Good economy card, especially in a virus deck. I see this as a potential splash for others and a must-use in Anarch.

Corroder: / By far the best barrier breaker, and should be used in any deck pretty much. Battering Ram costs 2MU, 3 more to play, and can be more expensive to break with, all for only +1 strength. A Shaper deck might not play this if short on influence, but basically required.

Datasucker: /
Surprisingly strong, combos well with Parasite to kill off ice.

Djinn: /
I'd rather get my cards from Wyldside's amazing efficiency than through this more expensive searching, and a Grimoire is a better MU source.
However, Djinn is a good backup plan for both of these. Additionally, Parasite might be the best card in the game, and this searches out three parasites. It also searches for 1-of medium's. That alone makes it something to build around. Out of faction, if you're adding it, you're spending all your influence on the virus suite. That might sometimes be worth it though, cause the virus suite is good.

Medium: /
A strong win condition, can build up to increasing digs into R&D and force the opponent to purge counters.

Mimic: /
A solid sentry breaker if combined with a lot of ways to reduce ice strength, which Anarch has. For others, Ninja is the better sentry breaker.

Parasite: / Ice Removal is amazing, and this is a cheap way to do it, combos with Datasucker to kill big ice, and can force the opponent to purge your counters to save an ice temporarily. Splashable even in a non-virus deck and incredibly strong.

Wyrm: /
I think its pretty bad, but Anarch can make it work sometimes. It does combo with your parasites very well. However, if you are reducing ice strength, Yog and Mimic become both amazing and cheap, so do you really need this? I guess it can be usable as a backup plan, and fueled by Stimhack. Still, it seems extremely aggro and all-in to be blowing money on this. If you fail to win you could be in bad shape. I prefer the solid strategy of efficient to use icebreakers that let you get through consistently in the lategame.

Yog.0: /
Great for Anarch, with its ice strength reduction. A bad splash unless you have ice strength reduction or plan to pump it with Personal Touch. Can work well as a splash if you use those cards.

Ice Carver: /
An excellent card but I might not include 3 since its Unique. Combos with Parasite and the Anarch icebreakers.

Wyldside: /
Has the potential to give incredible action efficiency. Can be removed lategame with a Pawnshop. In my Anarch deck, I run three and mulligan the first hand almost unconditionally if it doesn't have one of these. This is also a really good counter to Jinteki net damage or anyone splashing Jinteki ice.

Criminal Cards
Criminal decks have many strong cards to remove/expose ice, get income, tutor for needed icebreakers, defend against tags and meat damage, and spread enemy defenses thin. Criminal decks are filled with tons of cards that everyone else wishes they had enough influence to splash, and win by overwhelming the opponent with accumulated small efficiency gains and a versatile attack.

Account Siphon: / ??
Hard to use but the payoff can be huge and the tags are risky. Very unsure about this card, could be bad or amazing. Note that they can res upgrades and assets to avoid having money left, but not ice in other servers.

Easy Mark: / Solid money card.

Forged Activation Orders: /
Potential ice destruction, scouting, and money wasting in one. Use it on something guarding a fort you aren't as interested in running, then run a different one after they blow their money. Or simply kill ice and leave them short on ice. (What are they going to do get more ice, spend time drawing as corp? Hehe). Don't underestimate the scouting value of this card. Its absolutely amazing. Combos with Parasite to eventually kill bad ice without ever having to actually run into it!

Inside Job: /
Solid way to break through for an agenda, if you are pretty sure one is there. It is made better by the fact that Criminal's Sneakdoor Beta forces the corp to spread ice thinner, and Forged Activation Orders can destroy ice sometimes.

Special Order: / Tutor for the icebreaker you need. If you're not using this its probably because you are using three in-color breakers of each type instead.

Desperado: /
A free credit per run is outstanding. This is the best console, and I might splash it in Shaper decks. (Though in Anarch you need Grimoire more for Viruses). It suddenly makes runs that would be questionable in efficiency become worth it.

Lemuria Codecracker: /
If I'm spending the time breaking through to HQ, I then get to expose your card to see if its an agenda, but then I'm out of money to run it? When I need to see something, I generally need to see it NOW, for free, because I'm trying to figure out if I have enough resources to make it. Criminal at least gains 2 credits for getting o HQ, so it could be useable there.

Aurora: /
Oh god its horrible. Use a corroder, so that you aren't paying $4 to get through a singly advanced Ice Wall or a Wall of Static.

Femme Fatale: /
Expensive, but its the only icebreaker that's good against Tollbooth, and it can be a reasonable emergency icebreaker against one troublesome piece of ice. Criminal has icebreaker tutors, so I could see playing one of these just in case.

Ninja: /
The best sentry breaker for non-Anarchs, or for Anarchs without much ice strength reduction (why wouldn't you use strength reduction as Anarch though?). Use this one in most Criminal and Shaper decks. A Shaper might be able to instead use a splashed Mimic combined with Personal Touches and maybe Ice Carver and/or Datasuckers.

Sneakdoor Beta: / This card forces the corp to split up their protection further, defending both Archives and HQ to guard their hand. Provides free money to Gabriel Santiago by letting him into HQ. However it is expensive and takes 2 MU, otherwise it would easily be . Still needs to be in your criminal deck, even if its only one, to force ice to be spread thin.

Bank Job: /
For two actions (one to play, one to run), and one card, you get a net gain of $7, if you can run against an unprotected data fort. That's amazing, especially as you need some of that $7 to now go blow up that Pad Campaign that you just ran and didn't look at to trigger the bank job. However, sometimes the corp wont let you use it efficiently by not playing unprotected cards. Even better for Criminals with a Desperado, as you gain an extra credit on both of those runs.

Crash Space: /
The only meat damage defense, and important against anyone trying to tag you. However, even as a meat damage defense, its a little weak as they can spend an action to trash it if you are tagged, and then nail you with Scorched Earth! Its probably bad against Jinteki or HB, but you don't have to put it down against those if you see no trace ice. Overall its a good but not amazing defense against tracing and meat damage, but against half your opposing corps will be bad.

Data Dealer: / Unbelievably Bad.
It generally costs you more that $9 in effort to get an agenda. I would be amazingly happy to play a card that cost $9 and scored me an Agend, the opposite of this. But wait, you also spend an action drawing this, an action playing it, and an action using it. Wow!

Decoy: /
Defends against tags on the opponent's turn. Potentially necessary to defend against a Weyland combo of Posted Bounty + 2xScorched Earth.

Shaper Cards
Shapers gain bonus income in the form of discounts when playing programs or hardware, and have a strong money engine in Magnum Opus. They win by deploying the programs necessary to power through any defenses, and being rich enough to power through. Still, in my opinion the Shapers are the weakest runner faction in the first set.

Diesel: /
Ancestral Recall is still good, even if its not nearly as good as in Magic.

Modded: / Gains $3 without the loss of an action to play it, as long as you have something big enough to play with it. Very efficient.

The Maker's Eye: /
Reasonable way to attack for points, but its not Medium. Would be great if it could also hit HQ., but as is its reasonable.

Tinkering: /
Gets you through one piece of ice for a turn, but you still have to pump some breaker up. Wouldn't spend 4 influence on it.

The Toolbox: /
So expensive, but Shaper needs the MU to run Magnum Opus, and they could generate money well WITH Magnum Opus. Makes running cheap and gives great memory capacity. Still, I'd be considering splashing Desperado instead unless I thought the link would be important to me.

Akamatsu Mem Chip: /
A lot of decks need more memory, and they'll need to include it. Others wont, pretty simple.

Rabbit Hole: /
Provides 3 Link for $6, thins your deck, and provides Junkyard fodder if you don't end up needing the link against your opponents deck. Quite solid.

The Personal Touch: / Best on Anarch breakers, and on Pipeline. Useful for anyone at saving money during runs.

Battering Ram: /
Corroder is cheaper and doesn't cost 2MU, so you are only using this if you cant afford the influence to splash it.

Gordian Blade: /
The only code gate breaker that can get through anything (at a price), you need to use this if you don't have the ice strength reduction needed to make Yog usable.

Magnum Opus: : /
Expensive but provides great income efficiency, in a set where income providing cards are at a premium. As a Shaper you could have a plan of running three of these and mulligan hands without this unless they are quite good. However, playing this opens you up to getting wrecked by program destruction effects right away.

Net Shield: /
Only prevents the first damage per turn, and at a cost? Would only use as a sideboard card against Jinteki, if using sideboarding. Here is a card from original Netrunner to show you how shamefully bad this is:
http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/enterprise-inc-shields/

Pipeline: /
No, its terrible. Splash the Ninja instead, or Mimic with ice strength reduction and Personal Touches.

Aesop's Pawnshop: /
Strong card with many uses to gain small efficiencies if you build for it, such as:
* Don't take the last $2 off an Armitage Codebusting, and use this instead to gain an extra $1 and save an action.
* Don't take the last $ off bank job, use this to net an extra $2.
* Trash your three Rabbit Holes for a net gain of $3 (and the deck thinning benefit), if you aren't needing them.
* Trash your Wyldside after you no longer need to draw to remove its drawback.
* As Noise, trash Datasuckers for cash, use Deja Vu to recur them, and replay them for extra uses of Noise's trash from R&D ability.
* Play random 0 cost cards like Sacrificial Construct and trash them for $3 if not needed, turning them into Easy Mark cards.
Ironically, this is probably worse in Shaper than in the other two decks.

Sacrificial Construct: / Reasonable way to avoid program trashing, though its probably better to scout an aggressive secretary with Infiltration, or break an ice with a sentry breaker instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Thoughts on EVERY runner card!
Nice listing. I agree on some, disagree on others.

Three in particular I wanted to throw out my own thoughts on:

Maker's Eye: Yes, Medium can be better, but
a) It takes up memory
b) You have to run R&D to build it up and this can cause the corp to ice it up heavy. Maker's eye is a surprise and 2 credits for 2 extra cards is a steal.

Inside Job: 2 credits to leapfrog an ice is pretty wicked in my opinion. It's worked well for me so far.

Lemuria Codecracker: This one may be my toughest sell, but 2 points on this one as well:
a) If you're using Gabriel, you just made 2 money from the HQ run so you have the money to use the codecracker.
b) I believe that the runner's greatest power is the ability to score an agenda just by touching it. The Corp's greatest power is installing all cards face down. A repeatable way to negate that power is amazing. Add in that if you're Gabriel you're running HQ regularly anyway (and with Sneakdoor there are two potential ways in.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree with you mostly. good evaluation overall. here are the cards i felt the most different from you:

-djinn is really good. being able to get exactly what you want is a huge benefit, and lets you run singletons of cards like medium and crypsis and still have access to them when you want them.

-wyldside is cool and potent, but doesnt belong in every deck. the loss of action can really hurt longterm, and youll often be drowning in cards and discarding, wanting to turn it off. now its DEFINITELY powerful and worth using, but it requires building around it, and plenty of anarch stacks can and should be made without relying on it.

-Cyberfeeder is one of THE best 1 influence cards, and something i try and jam in most any deck, even those not running any virus. recurring credits are huge. you like it, but its a definite 4 star to me.

I like inside job more than you, it can make it hard for a runner to keep you out in ways that are hard to play around.

and i like bank job less than you. alot has to go right to get the max payout from bankjob, and even then you are just netting 4 credits vs just taking creds for the clicks you used on it (draw/install/run). its a card i think looks better than it is, and people remember the times it pays off fast and forget the times it rots in their hand.

codecracker is repeatable exposing effect, which can be huge. a very unique and powerful effect, and clearly at its best if you suspect alot of ambushes. information is VERY powerful, even if you cant run on it immediately in many cases.

i agree toolbox is expensive, but those 2 recurring bits pays off very fast, and this comes out easier than you expect in a deck packing modded and magnum opus. better than you think in shaper and the MU is welcome, though i cant disagree that some Shaper decks might opt out here.

Aesop's pawnshop - wow, the internet sure loves this card, and i think its most overrated. it has its place in decks that build with it in mind i guess, and you named all the best uses. but i dont like running dead/situational cards in my deck anyway, and its not worth even installing them to later trade in for bits usually. i get where it has its uses, but its a 2.5/3 star role player, not a 4 star mvp to me.

and Infiltration is good enough since expose effects are such a rarity, but i am usually cutting it in my stacks to make room for better stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I think you're undervaluing:

- The Maker's Eye (rethink this one)
- Crypsis
- Tinkering (Amazing with Shaper "for the rest of the run" icebreakers)
- Decoy (Weyland has so much trouble sticking a tag that preventing one hurts)
- INSIDE JOB (are you insane?)

I think you're overvaluing:

- Magnum Opus
- Account Siphon

You're pretty close to the mark on the others but you can tell you're REALLY into the virus strategy. That's incredibly fun but not always the most effective strategy.

Seriously give Inside Job another try. Auto bypassing the first rezzed ice you encounter is just dumb for 2 credits. Even if it just gets past a chum it usually nets you a few credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Overall this is a great list. Here are my comments:

Underrated:
Crypsis--Provides fantastic early and mid game versatility and a credible deterrent against any ICE.

Overrated:
The Rabbit Hole--Too expensive--might as well play Toolbox. Deck thinning benefit is overstated.
Aesop's Pawnshop--This has already been debated at length so I feel no need to rehash. Suffice to say I view it as good but not great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I modified a few ratings based on feedback.

In the end, I am sure that no one will ever agree on every rating, and again, the comments on when or why to put the card in your deck are more important in general.

On crypsis, I think its good in the right deck but is pretty narrow and bad in others, so thats why I gave it a .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:

- Tinkering (Amazing with Shaper "for the rest of the run" icebreakers)

Ah! Yeah I didnt think of that. That does improve it.

Quote:

- INSIDE JOB (are you insane?)

Okay I was insane. It wasnt as good against my HB deck with ice stacked 3 deep on anything I cared about.

Quote:

- Account Siphon

Yeah I'm not sure if this is good or bad. It has huge potential but can also bust, so I dont know.

Quote:

You're pretty close to the mark on the others but you can tell you're REALLY into the virus strategy. That's incredibly fun but not always the most effective strategy.

I put a virus deck together and found it to be amazingly strong. Way better than I expected it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Inside Job is really good actually

there's two ways of using it:

1) Early game when the Corp thinks it's safe to put an agenda behind one ice only. That card scares the corp into putting agendas early, which makes HQ even better to run for the criminal.

2) Late game against against a massive wall of unrezzed ice. The bypass only triggers on encountered ice, so any unrezzed ice won't even absorb the effect. You need to rez an ice just to be bypassed, which is a pain. That's why I put data mines or any cheap ice in front just to absorb Inside Job as a corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:

- Magnum Opus
- Account Siphon

both of these cards are MVPs for their faction. disagree. I can imagine decks without them, but they are VERY strong. MO is the backbone of a shaper economy longterm, and Account Siphon is so backbreaking when it connects that you force the corp to live in fear of it. 15 credit swing, its worth skipping 2 clicks and 4 of those bits after if you bankrupt the corp in the process.

tinkering relies on corp ice placement and often isnt worth the card and click to me to setup a later run,so i often cut it. shrug. ill try and play with it more, but it was rarely an mvp for me.

and i usually cut makers eye too, though it IS effective as a one shot. i just dont like too many situational operations, similar reason to why i dont like tinkering so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
wedgeex wrote:

- Magnum Opus
- Account Siphon

both of these cards are MVPs for their faction. disagree. I can imagine decks without them, but they are VERY strong. MO is the backbone of a shaper economy longterm, and Account Siphon is so backbreaking when it connects that you force the corp to live in fear of it. 15 credit swing, its worth skipping 2 clicks and 4 of those bits after if you bankrupt the corp in the process.

tinkering relies on corp ice placement and often isnt worth the card and click to me to setup a later run,so i often cut it. shrug. ill try and play with it more, but it was rarely an mvp for me.

and i usually cut makers eye too, though it IS effective as a one shot. i just dont like too many situational operations, similar reason to why i dont like tinkering so much.

Thats basically what I thought on all those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your list. Like flamejuggler, I think I'm higher on Djinn than I am on Wyldside.

I found your explanation of Wyldside funny because with my Anarch deck, if I don't draw Djinn in opening hand, it's a mulligan for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Digging your views on the Criminal deck, especially previously unpopular ones that I agree with like Desperado being awesome (think it's just non-Criminal players not optimized for heavy running slagging on it :P).

Some Crim-focused thoughts from me:
-I am thinking of bumping Desperado from 2x to 3x and even trying to Mulligan into it depending on my hand. It just works so well with Crim's ice-thinning attack. I have a natural resistance to trip uniques though so we'll see.

-Enjoying the love for love/hate card Account Siphon. This combos really well with Crash Space and even Decoy in a pinch, which may not be very evident OoF where it's just seen as two guaranteed tags.

-I understand the Lemuria hate, but I've played it recently and had it be fairly useful especially against trap decks obviously. You've got me rethinking it (and so did my first couple of plays with it), but I will stick to x2 for now. The click is the real killer (wish it cost 2 instead) but I've had use for it recently so sticking with it.

-Decoy I am also running because I'm seeing a lot of tag-heavy builds both tag-and-bag and fast-advance. It is a situational defensive card right now that just basically can avert going from calm to calamity on Runner turn for me.

The rest of your ratings on Crim, including reasoning, I completely agree with right now. My Crim OoF right now is Diesel x3 (make up for lack of Wyldside and draws), Gordian, Corroder, and Aesop's (thinking of ditching this though as I'm not really optimized for it).

Thanks for putting this together as it's really got me thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bank Job is awesome, and here's why:

It makes the Corp care about that empty remote server or that unprotected PAD Campaign. It may push them to drop (another) ice somewhere they normally wouldn't. It can alter the gamestate enough to force the Corp to deal with it.

I keep seeing the "2 clicks (1 to draw, 1 to play)/2 credits" type thinking posited when valuing cards but I think being that strict is actually undervaluing cards. Click four of a specific turn may not be the right time to run, based on what the first three clicks were, and why NOT drop a card that may make the Corp rethink it's play? The gamestate into which a card is played can't be ignored; unfortunately, it can't really be quantified, either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Davies
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, well thought-out list. I too think you are overvaluing Magnum Opus, the high MU and bit cost make it rather clunky compared to Armitage Codebusting.

Looking forward to the Corp list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
flamejuggler wrote:
wedgeex wrote:

- Magnum Opus
- Account Siphon

The reason I'm so down on Magnum Opus is simple - it's expensive itself, so you usually have to put yourself in a hole to play it in the first place. It's 2MU so it requires you to overwrite it eventually or play MORE cards to accommodate it. Then once it gets going you spend clicks for credits... halfing the "cost" to get credits for you.

That sounds awesome - and it is - except how many clicks did you spend to get to that point? 5 for the cost of the card, 1 for the card itself, 1 for the install. Ok, so we have a deficit of 7 so far. Lets say we spend 9 clicks over the course of the game for a total of 18 credits (which is a little more on average than I actually use the card after installing it).

That's 7+9= 16 clicks for... 18 credits. Any my memory was tied up. Any I had to drop my credits low so I couldn't play reactively to Corp actions.

But, hey, the art was pretty.

I'm not saying the card is an absolute dog - it isn't. There are a lot of factors I'm not even including (things like Modded and Kate's ability) but overall the card is pretty good but Codebusting is just loads better.

That's how I see it anyway.

As far as Account Siphon I've tested it and I just don't dig it. I understand the card is swingy and the Corp should fear it, but just let the fear of the card make the corp play over defensively then and don't actually play it. The card is a miserable late game topdeck and I'd almost always rather see a Bank Job show up off the top (no matter what stage of the game it is).

Two clicks early on to remove two tags especially early in the game where your clicks are so precious seems like a bad trade. I've discarded too many of these to really value it too highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
serdudds wrote:
I like your list. Like flamejuggler, I think I'm higher on Djinn than I am on Wyldside.

I found your explanation of Wyldside funny because with my Anarch deck, if I don't draw Djinn in opening hand, it's a mulligan for me.

Well yeah, if youre using Djinn and not Wyldside I could see that. However, I find Wyldside both more efficient and less risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Magnum Opus, if there were good alternative income sources I would agree, but there are so few. Its pretty great to ply it turn 1 and have your money issues solved. And Shaper decks have Mem Chips that they can play for 0 once a turn, which helps with the memory issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decoy : — Who likes to receive a tag during the corp's turn (Data Raven or other) ? Crash Space is trashable for one click and 2 credits. That said, Crash Space is too. They work together.

Magnum Opus : — Only decent in a shaper deck (because of the 2 MU cost). Otherwise Armitage Codebusting is lighter (cheaper and faster). I use Cyberfeeder in complement.

Diesel : — I prefer 2 Wyldside over 3 Diesel.

Stimhack : — Nothing is more fun than to see a runner lobotomizing himself before he run toward a Project Junebug laugh. I like this card only for that.

Bank Job : — Good but not stellar. The idea isn't to make money with it, the idea is to discourage the corp to create a new server.

Data Dealer : — Good if you play a discard deck against R&D, I think. Very situational.

Deja Vu : — Extremely versatile. One copy is enough.

Account Siphon : — Good but hard to use, and only with 2 Crash Space in play. Very situational, so one copy is enough.

Lemuria Codecracker : shake — I can't agree more with your comment.

Femme Fatale : — She's also a good icebreaker against small sentries, but she's useless before a big ice is rezzed (definitely a woman).

Akamatsu Mem Chip : — Not bad but I wait for the 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Djinn: Risky, and bad to draw late after you already played out viruses. I'd rather get my cards from Wyldside than through this more expensive searching. A Grimoire is MUCH better. However, in the future this card should improve with more viruses to search for (you might have a lot of 1-of's), and it would also improve if future sets provide more efficient draw engines, and cards that allow installing several cards at once with discounts. Similar cards could be good in original Netrunner due to a card that let you install 5 programs in one action.

1. It allows you to search your deck for viruses. This is insanely useful if you're Noise, and pretty damn helpful even if you're not (i.e. allows you to find your Mediums in short order).

2. Djinn can host itself, and many other programs that aren't exclusively in the Anarch deck.

I run 3 Djinns and 3 Mediums. If you can get a Djinn in hand quickly, and install those Mediums, you can do some serious damage to R&D, especially if running Maker's Eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I raised my Djinn rating, simply because no card that can tutor for Parasites could be bad, since parasite is outrageously good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
She's also a good icebreaker against small sentries, but she's useless before a big ice is rezzed (definitely a woman).

Dude, can we please keep the casual sexism out of this otherwise awesome card game analysis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
One real disagreement
Magnum Opus :

It's long term efficiency, but after you draw it, play it and spend three clicks to break even (5 actions) you could be up five credits.

This is a LATE GAME card (when you don't need to run right now, but need to build up money to run a few big runs in the endgame).

And 2MU. Ugh.

Putting three in a deck means you also get to waste two slots. I'm happy as long as I get this by the end game, so one is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
One real disagreement
Magnum Opus :

It's long term efficiency, but after you draw it, play it and spend three clicks to break even (5 actions) you could be up five credits.

This is a LATE GAME card (when you don't need to run right now, but need to build up money to run a few big runs in the endgame).

And 2MU. Ugh.

Putting three in a deck means you also get to waste two slots. I'm happy as long as I get this by the end game, so one is enough.

Getting it at some point before you need to start installing breakers isn't bad either - you install MO first and get tons of money to finance your installations and your future runs. Hopefully at some point you'll draw your Console or a Akamatsu Mem Chip to get yourself to the 5 MU you need for three great breakers, but in the meantime Crypsis can do the job for two breakers, especially with your healthy finances.

For me, Magnum Opus' greatest strength is quickly recovering from a run and having the flexibility for choosing which server to run in the late game (as you have a wide range of budgets available). I like running two, to make me more likely to draw one and as a backup if one gets trashed from damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After more testing I am revising ratings, and am also going to split ratings into two:
The first rating will be the in-faction rating. How I feel about the card for a deck of its color. (Considering what cards will be in that deck, and that you dont lose influence to play it). The second rating is a the out of faction rating. How good the card is in other faction's decks, considering its influence cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're still undervaluing Tinkering in-faction.

Its biggest strength is when you can convert a piece of ice to match the breaker you're using elsewhere on the run, allowing you to only have to pump one Shaper icebreaker instead of two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.