Takashi Ishida
Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Title : Falkland Showdown ( Command Japan version )

Publisher : Kokusai-tsushinsha

Game Designer : Philip Sharp

Game Thema : Falkland war

Game Components
1 game map, 1 counter sheet, 2 playaids, rulebook

I’ve just played the Japanese version with Japanese variant rules.

The most important change in Japanese variant rules are

1: Argentine air force must distribute his squadrons into 4 bases on Argentine home land area. Due to this fact, each force in each base is handled as being different force. That means that if Argentine would like to do air-related operation only one force can participate the specific operation.
2: British career now don’t use its value directly on its combat. Instead, they now have Harrier units that can participate the operation. This rule strongly enhances the British air force.

I felt that there are almost no errata for Japanese edition except some clarifications for added Japanese variant rules. I think this might be improved from original edition during the process of Japanese edition. This is really a good point of Japanese edition.

My play with my friends end +1 victory point which means really a slightest victory of Argentine. So, I think the play-balance of Japanese variant rule looks very good.
But, since 2 important Japanese variant rules above really favor the British air force, I suspect that the play-balance of original version might be in real danger.

Though the play-balance is really good, I must say the game-play looks very awkward.
In my opinion, the victory condition and victory point system strongly direct players how to act in the game.
In this game, I think the victory point system looks somewhat bizarre.

1: Sunken Argentine ships in open sea generates the victory points for Argentine. (Yes, for Argentine)
2: Sunken British ships generates the victory points for Argentine always.
3: Fallen Argentine air squadron is nothing for victory points.
4: British player can never attack against the Argentine home land.

Due to 1 and 2, before British fleet can achieve the Falkland island areas, both of Argentine and British sunken ships gives Argentine player the victory points. So, Argentine player must attack with his fleet in early game.
But, once British fleet enters the Falkland area, now sunken Argemtine ships generate British victory points as you can understand easily. Then, it is not a good idea for Argentine player to have combat with British fleet. So, he would like to withdraw into his sanctuary, the home land of Argentine. And British player has nothing to do against this strategy.
After this, the only victory points for British player are conquering Falkland areas and eliminate Argentine land force on the island. And this is already determined by setup information.
According to these circumstances, the game ends the moment when Argentine player get the victory points greater than the British player’s possible maximum points. And usually, this is done by fleet combat in very early part of the game.
Due to Harrier’s air superiority and anti-land attacking capability, the British player can land the island and advance to the target areas step by step. This step is not only prevented the land force which are already on the island by setup and Argentine air force which never gives any victory points. In other words, once British fleet enters the island the game is not a game. It is just a planned cleaning procedure.

As a result, the game can be a game only in very early part. Once the players understand this problem, the game is totally broken. This is not a problem of play-balance. As I wrote, Japanese variant rules improve the play-balance. But, it cannot fix the problem of being a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice review but...

I feel your fixes make this more of a game and less of a simulation.

Argentine forces holding out on the blockaded islands during winter?
No way.

Royal Navy attacking an already out-of-area fleet in its home bases? Not a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takashi Ishida
Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stuarttigger wrote:

I feel your fixes make this more of a game and less of a simulation.

No, No.
It's not my fix. It is Command magazine Japan's fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takashi Ishida
Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I've never played the game without Japanese variant, I think original version might be worse than the variant.
In original rule, Argentine player can do all out air strike on British fleet by his all the homeland air squadrons. It must be a real disaster for British player. Though it will increase loss of Argentine squadrons, as I wrote it would be nothing for victory points. I must say that British player has almost no chance of winning in original version.
I feel that original version is less game and less simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another broken S&T game? Pity that I was planning to play it this November to commemorate its 20th anniversary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takashi Ishida
Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Another broken S&T game?

Hello, I'm afraid so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is just a planned cleaning procedure.

That does sound like a bit of a problem. You want a game to give you options, not require you to be a robot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Northbridge
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Another broken S&T game? Pity that I was planning to play it this November to commemorate its 20th anniversary.

Don't touch it, Lawrence, it is a complete dog. In my opinion the worst S&T game I have seen - and I've been playing them since 1978.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takashi Ishida
Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotty Dave wrote:
In my opinion the worst S&T game I have seen - and I've been playing them since 1978.

It sounds that the original edition is much worse than I imagined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you z
Very insightful thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Due to 1 and 2, before British fleet can achieve the Falkland island areas, both of Argentine and British sunken ships gives Argentine player the victory points. So, Argentine player must attack with his fleet in early game.
But, once British fleet enters the Falkland area, now sunken Argemtine ships generate British victory points as you can understand easily. Then, it is not a good idea for Argentine player to have combat with British fleet. So, he would like to withdraw into his sanctuary, the home land of Argentine. And British player has nothing to do against this strategy.
After this, the only victory points for British player are conquering Falkland areas and eliminate Argentine land force on the island.

I have finished reading the How to Win rules. I can't find where the British player can earn victory point for eliminating Argentine land forces. On the other hand, the British can earn VPs if the Argentinian mobolised more troops. Ceteris Paribus, the British can win the game by taking control of Port Stanley (4VPs) and the four VP land areas and do nothing about the Argentinian fleet in the sanctuary Homeland. The Argentinian can win if they either attack aggressively the British in the open sea early in the game with their fleet (even losing some of them) and the land forces hold onto the Islands before the British operations run out.

Quote:

In other words, once British fleet enters the island the game is not a game. It is just a planned cleaning procedure.

So far, all that sounds historical to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis SAMUEL
France
WANGENBOURG
flag msg tools
Hello,

I'm a french player, and I buy the japanese version of this game, because I like its graphics a lot.

Mr Takashi Ishida, could you translate in english the rules specific to the japanese version, please ?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.