Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the third of the sneak previews leading up to the release of the game at Spiel 2012.

For the first two previews, click here and here

For my previews on the other new games...
Goblins Inc.: Part 1 and Part 2
Dungeon Lords Festival Season: Part 1 and Part 2
Galaxy Trucker: Another Big Expansion: Part 1 and Part 2

In this preview, we’re going to get into more detail of the gears, the placing of workers, and the effects of some of the gears. As has been mentioned before, in a players turn they either place workers or remove workers.

Here is an image showing the Palenque gear at some point during the game. It is the Green players turn. Let us say that the Green player currently has 4 workers, 2 of them are already on the board, and 2 are in his supply.

He could, if he wanted to, remove that green worker from Palenque, and whilst doing that he may also remove his other worker from wherever it is, but let’s say that he wants to place more workers this turn.

The first rule of placing a worker is that it has to go on the cheapest available space. In this example, the ‘0’ space is clear, so the first worker would have to go there. This costs 0 corn. If he wanted to, he could also place his second worker this turn, either on this gear or another gear. If he chooses to place onto Palenque again, it would go on position 3 (and cost 3 corn). This is because positions 1 & 2 are already occupied. Also note that placing 2 workers in a turn costs 1 corn extra, so this would have cost him 4 corn in total.

If the next player to play was Yellow, and he wanted to place a worker on Palenque, it would go on position 5 and cost 5 corn.

Nothing happens when you place a worker, you just pay the corn and place it on the gear. It is when you take it off that something happens. And that something is shown by the icons around the outside.

The Palenque gear is where workers collect wood and corn, either from chopping down trees, or by harvesting crops (or fishing). Position 1 is the easiest to explain – This is fishing, indicated by the light blue background. It simply gets 3 corn. No, this isn’t a magical world where corn swims around in rivers, it is just that you take 3 corn to represent the food that you gained from fishing. Why is it important that this is different? I’ll explain later.

The remaining positions on the gear all do the same thing, but with increasing gain. You either take the amount of wood indicated, or the corn. But it isn’t that simple. At the start of the game, you place 1 corn counter on each of the spaces outside, and then on top of those, you place 1 forest counter. In a 4-player game, you populate all 4 spaces for each position. For 3 players, you fill 3. Two players, you fill 2 of them.

When faced with only the choice of a forest tile, you take the indicated wood (and also claim the forest tile). This then reveals the corn tile for the next worker to use this space.

If there is a visible corn tile, you can take the indicated corn, and the corn tile too (these may be worth VP at the end of the game).
There is another option too. If only a forest tile is visible, you may burn down the forest (angering the gods), removing the forest tile from the game, but allowing you to claim the corn immediately.

Once a position has been cleared of forest and corn tiles, no more can be taken from that space unless the player has developed the appropriate technology (a later preview)

Other rules that apply to all gears.

1. When removing a worker, you may choose to pay corn to use the ability of a space before the one you are on. 1 corn for each space back. For the Palenque gear, this often does not get used, but in the example above, if the blue player is about to remove the worker from position 4, he might want to pay 1 corn to step back to position 3 and take the 5 corn that is waiting. Or instead, he might choose to burn down the forest and take the 7 corn from position 4.

2. Any worker which has reached position 6 or 7 of the gear may remove it to choose any position on that gear without paying the corn cost to ‘step back’

3. Any worker that is on the 7 spot when the gear rotes is killed horribly in a terrible accident involving a squirrel. Well, he is returned to your supply, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Next up, the Yaxchilan Gear. This gear is all about resources and is fairly obvious what it does.

Position 1: Take 1 Wood.
Position 2: Take 1 Stone and 1 Corn.
Position 3: Take 1 Gold and 2 Corn.
Position 4: Take 1 Crystal Skull.
Position 5: Take 1 Gold, 1 Stone and 2 Corn.
So, from the rule I described above, if you had a worker on position 5, then when you remove him, you could choose to pay 1 corn to take 1 Crystal Skull.

In the next preview, I will cover the other three gears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize it's a stylized picture, but looking at the wooden components, how easy is it for them to get knocked over when the gears turn? I know with some games, turning the wheels can be a little jerky... how likely is it that I'll be spending half the game remembering where the workers were?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing.... because I've only played prototype versions, but... the circles are actually indentations in the gear, and the workers fit in those gears, so should be ok.

However... my prototype didnt have holes in the gears - the workers were just placed on the gear, and they didnt fall off unless the giant mayan cat walks across the landscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I realize it's a stylized picture, but looking at the wooden components, how easy is it for them to get knocked over when the gears turn? I know with some games, turning the wheels can be a little jerky... how likely is it that I'll be spending half the game remembering where the workers were?

If it helps, I can tell you that during many testing sessions in private or at various gaming events not once I've seen a pawn to drop. Well OK, I've seen them to drop once but that was just because my 3 year old nephew decided it would be and awesome fun to spin the gears like a wheel of fortune. And even than half of pawns stood on the gears Bare in mind testing gears didn't have holes, they just had printed circles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

You must work in marketing as you gradually "reveal" more about the game [first the picture, the day after a new section in the preview] as to build up the tension-interest-desire within our community.

But really useful info ... you're doing a good job here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luk Van Baelen wrote:

You must work in marketing as you gradually "reveal" more about the game [first the picture, the day after a new section in the preview] as to build up the tension-interest-desire within our community.

IT Manager and team leader for an IT team of 15 people by day... Geek by night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what do you get for the last spaces of the Palenque gear? Where the red worker is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
So what do you get for the last spaces of the Palenque gear? Where the red worker is?

It seems pretty clear.

2. Any worker which has reached position 6 or 7 of the gear may remove it to choose any position on that gear without paying the corn cost to ‘step back’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul! How may parts is the preview? Do you have an aproximate schedule?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! I missed that. Thanks, David.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Is the cost for placing extra workers summarized somewhere? The prototype board had a chart in the corner, but the "final" board image did not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
Is the cost for placing extra workers summarized somewhere? The prototype board had a chart in the corner, but the "final" board image did not.

Each player has a player board, and it is on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
Thanks Paul! How may parts is the preview? Do you have an aproximate schedule?

Brian

One a week between now and Essen, though I may end up doing 2 a week near the end as there is still a lot to cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I take a worker of position 2, and there are only wood tiles showing, and I don't want to burn, do I get nothing?

Thanks
Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
If I take a worker of position 2, and there are only wood tiles showing, and I don't want to burn, do I get nothing?

Oops. My bad. There should not be any forest tiles on position 2.... D'oh. You'd think I'd know the game by now....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniele tascini
Italy
Macerata
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:

Thanks
Brian

If there are only wood tiles showing and you don't want to burn, you just take a wood tile (Cutting down wood), and get the indicated wood (there is no wood in position 2, 2 in position 3, 3 in position 4...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

Next up, the Yaxchilan Gear. This gear is all about resources and is fairly obvious what it does.

Position 1: Take 1 Wood.
Position 2: Take 1 Stone and 1 Corn.
Position 3: Take 1 Gold and 2 Corn.
Position 4: Take 1 Crystal Skull.
Position 5: Take 1 Gold, 1 Stone and 2 Corn.
So, from the rule I described above, if you had a worker on position 5, then when you remove him, you could choose to pay 1 corn to take 1 Crystal Skull.

How bizarre! read this while waiting for the first off peak train up to London this morning to get a visa for Tanzania. Had a couple of hours to spend before I had to come back so went to the British Museum to see what they have on Tanzania. I had to walk through the Mexican room to get to the African one where they have

a crystal skull

Apparently they are fake "Although the crystal skull is highly polished traces of tool marks remain from its carving. Moulds have been made of these indentations using special silicon dental 'wax'and these have been examined at high magnification in a scanning electron microscope. The detailed investigation revealed clear evidence that some features were carved using rotary wheels. This kind of equipment was not available until after the Spanish conquest of Mexico in 1521, so the skull cannot be of Aztec manufacture, Instead, it seems likely that it was in fact made by Europeans working in Germany or Brazil during the late nineteenth century"
See http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/news/studying_the_crys... for more details
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:

a crystal skull

Apparently they are fake "Although the crystal skull is highly polished traces of tool marks remain from its carving. Moulds have been made of these indentations using special silicon dental 'wax'and these have been examined at high magnification in a scanning electron microscope. The detailed investigation revealed clear evidence that some features were carved using rotary wheels. This kind of equipment was not available until after the Spanish conquest of Mexico in 1521, so the skull cannot be of Aztec manufacture, Instead, it seems likely that it was in fact made by Europeans working in Germany or Brazil during the late nineteenth century"
See http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/news/studying_the_crys... for more details

More on this also here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_skull

Yes, they're fake, but without them the game would lack such a nice component
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karel_danek wrote:
Yes, they're fake, but without them the game would lack such a nice component

If I only played games based on factual correct stuff, I wouldn't play many games - no werewolves, zombies, magicians, not to mention being able to reproduce with just one family member, so not a problem, just interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that the super special edition of the game, only available for a brief time will come with life-sized skulls made out of real crystal. Just like the image posted above.

....I wish.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniele tascini
Italy
Macerata
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There will also be a real human sacrifice at the presetation in Essn, whose skull will be used for the special edition...

Oh... did I mention that the guy sacrificed will be the next one complaining for some historical inaccuracy? AHAHAHAH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3. Any worker that is on the 7 spot when the gear rotes is killed horribly in a terrible accident involving a squirrel. Well, he is returned to your supply, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Palenque gear, this often does not get used, but in the example above, if the blue player is about to remove the worker from position 4, he might want to pay 1 corn to step back to position 3 and take the 5 corn that is waiting. Or instead, he might choose to burn down the forest and take the 7 corn from position 4.

I am confused at this. So, on position 4, because there is no corn tile, he has to first 'burn' the two wood tiles to be able to get the 7 corn?

Also, on position 3, because there is a corn tile, that allows him to choose from wood, wood, or corn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mayan Calendar?!? I thought Tzolk'in was the guy who wrote The Lizord of the Rizings!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OnlyHuman wrote:
I am confused at this. So, on position 4, because there is no corn tile, he has to first 'burn' the two wood tiles to be able to get the 7 corn?

Not quite. He has to burn down one of the wood tiles. Underneath the wood tile is a corn tile, which he then takes.

Quote:
Also, on position 3, because there is a corn tile, that allows him to choose from wood, wood, or corn?

Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.