GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,291 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1110 Posts
[1]  Prev «  40 , 41 , 42 , 43 , 44  Next »  [45] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Group playing Eurogames in the Shakopee, MN Area (South West Metro) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Grim
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Steve,

Thank you from those of us that benefited from your time and efforts in organizing this group. We appreciate the fun and welcoming environment you created and we are sorry to see it come to an end. Again, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy P
United States
waconia
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo Rogers sentiments.

A few years ago I was just young budding boardgamer, barely out of my King of Tokyo diapers. New words like "Rosenberg" and "Feld" we're just starting to become part of my vocabulary. Like a toddler taking his first steps, I was ready to explore my new found freedom, unshackled from the chains of Monopoly and Risk. And although I could have stumbled, thanks to Steve and the group he had going in Shakopee, I found that first ledge to grasp on to, to hoist myself up, and to shuffle along as I started to establish myself in a new hobby.

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you've put into the group! I'm sorry to see it come to an end. Certainly know you, and anyone else looking to play, are more that welcome to join us in Waconia at the brewery for game nights on Wednesday (or Sunday afternoons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, you guys are going further west? Now I'll never get to game with you again

GGs while they happened, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Granz
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Still debating what to do myself if I want to try to find another place to host or just call it quits. Really no place closer for me than driving to Waconia.

I really hate wasting 1+ hrs driving when I could be playing board games with that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyplace north of the river worth looking at? I thought I heard there was a Euro group that played games at the Bloomington Davanni's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Legion games in Burnsville?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Granz
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Not much board gaming and takes as much time to get to as Waconia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesdays at Games by james at southdale and mondays at Tower games are the only nearby meetups I'm aware of and neither of those are very close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Level Up always has their Monday meetups, but again may be too far for many of you. It's a mile or so off 52 (exit 494 north, first exit, head east) and maybe a 20 min drive from North Lakeville.

An option, but there's nice folks there and the Monthly Saturday games are fun.

Didn't you have a gig going at a coffee shop? Maybe something similar would work again for your folks.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Sad to hear. I remember going out to Shakopee years ago and gaming with you guys. The Waconia group is definitely big and going strong from what I've seen. They are also a great group of people that would welcome you with open arms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Granz
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Had a good time at Waconia tonight. A bit of a drive from Shakopee (30 minutes) but I think I will keep trying it for the next weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen other groups use Davanni's and there is one in Savage off of 13 that could be a good option. The southern burbs here really need some love.

I'd love to try and get in on something at this location or another savage/prior lake/burnsville location. Have limited time but would be willing to help organize if others are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Granz
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Waconia group has been filling my board game shape hole in my life. I hate the drive but the people and board games have been great.

I am kinda burnt out trying to start or run another group. It has been nice to just show up to play and not worry about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantasy Hobbies in Shakopee has an initial boardgame/DnD night listed if anyone is interested. Wednesday the 16th at 6pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1682107845199549/?active_tab...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Granz
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Is this a new group forming or a different group moving to the space?

I may be interested but curious what games have been played in the past and etc?

-Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's a new group as the description on Facebook says "first meetup, meet & greet" and I've not seen them host any board game nights before. I don't think they have a library to play from, so it'd just be whatever people bring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Robertson
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kmaho wrote:
Phantasy Hobbies in Shakopee has an initial boardgame/DnD night listed if anyone is interested. Wednesday the 16th at 6pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1682107845199549/?active_tab...

Not a good choice of day/time as that is the same as the quite active Waconia group. If they want to get a good sized group going, they likely should look at a different day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Granz
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I can second what Joe said. The store really should not be competing with the Waconia group on Wednesday nights. Not that there are too many people that overlapped with the old Phantasy Hobbies group.

My guess this is mostly going to be D&D at Phantasy Hobbies on Wednesday nights since I have heard nothing about who it leading this group or even what type of games are planned to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgranz wrote:
I can second what Joe said. The store really should not be competing with the Waconia group on Wednesday nights. Not that there are too many people that overlapped with the old Phantasy Hobbies group.

My guess this is mostly going to be D&D at Phantasy Hobbies on Wednesday nights since I have heard nothing about who it leading this group or even what type of games are planned to be played.

I'm guessing the same regarding D&D, not sure why they're even saying the night is for both since they're pretty distinctly different, but I'm going to try and swing out there and see if there's any games to be played. I'm pretty open to playing anything and will throw a few lighter games in the car.

Regarding it being on the same night as Waconia, I can see that being an issue for some, but for me personally it's a 40 minute drive to Waconia or 10 minutes to Phantasy Hobbies. Given the distance, Waconia is barely on my radar (though I had been hoping to get a couple friends out there with me sometime to check it out). There are probably others for whom this would be a more convenient location who would be open to the change if there were a group playing regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Robertson
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kmaho wrote:
sgranz wrote:

I'm guessing the same regarding D&D, not sure why they're even saying the night is for both since they're pretty distinctly different, but I'm going to try and swing out there and see if there's any games to be played. I'm pretty open to playing anything and will throw a few lighter games in the car.

Regarding it being on the same night as Waconia, I can see that being an issue for some, but for me personally it's a 40 minute drive to Waconia or 10 minutes to Phantasy Hobbies. Given the distance, Waconia is barely on my radar (though I had been hoping to get a couple friends out there with me sometime to check it out). There are probably others for whom this would be a more convenient location who would be open to the change if there were a group playing regularly.

True, but there are some people, like my wife and I, that would like to go to both if they were on separate nights. Not a requirement, just something to consider for the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was known to go from time to time when it was on a thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great turnout last night with 7 of us for boardgames and I think 5 that decided to start some DnD.

We played a few rounds of Codenames before splitting off into two groups. One played Marvel Legendary (I think that's the name) while the other four of us played Dream Home and Grimm Forest.

Hopefully we can keep this momentum going and get another night set up soon in this area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalal Soltani
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Just a heads up, the new Savage/Shakopee Boardgame/DnD group had a successful event with 13 people yesterday. So we are organizing more events every Wednesday (typically)
To learn more, check out www.facebook.com/groups/savagegames

The reason why Wednesday was chosen was simply that we had a poll and Wednesday was the best option for everyone's schedules.

We do have one D&D Slot available as well and the schedule for that may be more flexible based on the sub-group's schedules.

I'm not overly worried about competing events, this is a fun safe group of locals who want to get together and make friends while playing some tabletop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great time. Nice meeting everyone. I definitely will be back.

Just a side note: They actually have a decent list of snacks for sale and at good prices. They need to work on their signage though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they're planning to do this weekly, at least for now. Next meeting is this coming Wednesday, 6pm at Phantasy Hobbies again, but it's currently only marketed on the closed Facebook group. Hope to see some others show up and am trying to get it on the Phantasy Hobbies calendar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  40 , 41 , 42 , 43 , 44  Next »  [45] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.