3 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: "Just a fool's hope" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my wife owed me, and so that night she agreed to play War of the Ring. Generally, the only war game she'll agree to is something along the lines of Risk—WoTR has too much going on, which leaves her with very little motivation to play. I chose to play the Shadow since she would have fewer actions to contend with in a game she isn't thrilled about. But I digress.

The first turn saw the FP roll 4 musters, and the SP placed 3 dice in the hunt pool and then rolled only one army die and no musters (guess we won't see Saruman this turn). The FP then advanced Rohan and the Elves to brink of war. By the next turn, Elves and Isengard were at war, Saruman was in play, and the Balrog was on the table. Isengard began multiplying orcs and the Voice of Saruman had turned many Uruk-hai into elites. The forces in the Fords of Isen retreated into Helm's Deep, and the forces from Edoras began moving to reinforce the Deep. Gondor was moved closer to war. Despite 3 eyes minimum being in the hunt box, the Fellowship moved 4 times without being revealed.

In the following turn, Isengard advanced into the Fords of Isen and then sieged Helm's Deep. The card that allows three rounds in a siege crushed the five units in the first round (lucky rolls!). Rohan was now at war. Sauron was brought to war and began mustering troops. But would the Witch King make an entrance and alert the remaining Free People to Sauron's activities? Finally, Gandalf, Boromir, Strider, Legolas, and Gimli moved to the Druidan Forest. After this, the Fellowship was revealed and decided to cross through Moria with Merry leading the other 3 hobbits despite the Balrog. Merry took 1 corruption and left the Fellowship, Pippin assumed the lead and then took 1 corruption and left the Fellowship. Frodo and Sam stood at 4 corruption. The Ring Wraiths were abroad and so Frodo was again corrupted, up to 6. The Fellowship moved again and was found, bringing them up to 7 corruption. Frodo and Sam were now two regions south from Lorien with little hopes to heal any time soon.

And then the Witch King entered.

The following turn the Fellowship hid while the Shadow poured all of their might into the military allocating only 1 die to the hunt. Southron and Easterlings were advanced to war, and in the following turns Helm's Deep, Dol Amoroth, Dale, Edoras, and Pelargir were captured. Gandalf became Gandalf the White and led Strider, Boromir, Legolas, and Gimli to one last defense of Minas Tirtith. Soon the White City was under siege, but meanwhile, the Fellowship continued to move foolishly closer to Mordor despite Frodo's exhaustion.

Frodo entered Mordor.

In the next turn, 4 eyes were rolled, yet Frodo moved once, and with the help of some Elven rope added that turn, received no corruption. An Elven Ring was used to change a muster to a character action die and Frodo moved a second time, but in the process received 3 more points of corruption. The Shadow had few dice to roll militarily and was unable to destroy the forces in Minas Tirith.

On the following and last turn, Minas Tirith fell and Gandalf, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, and the crownless Strider were slain. Soon the Easterling forces brought the Woodland Realm under siege. The Shadow was at 9 VP, and Frodo was at 10 corruption. There were 8 tiles left in the hunt pool, 4 eyes, one 2, one 3, and one -2. The FP moved twice more and received some help from Smeagol, and finally moved one final time with the help of an Elven Ring and destroyed the Ring in the fires of Mt. Doom.

As I said earlier, this is far from her favorite game, but the fact that she managed to eke out a victory led to her constructing the paper hats below in celebration:

Her crown reads, "War of the Ring Winner!!!" and my dunce cap reads "Defeated Dark Lord Sauron."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we have 2 winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better to lose the battle and win the war...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls