Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an update to my ratings thread, having now played for a few weeks against many different opponents, with a wide variety of decks.

Only cards that have changed rating or that I felt like discussing are mentioned. If it isnt mentioned here, then I havent changed my thoughts on it since posting these threads:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/860449/thoughts-on-every-cor...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/859251/thoughts-on-every-run...

Rating system:

: Very strong. Significant splash target for influence point spending. You pretty much always want this in a deck that can play it. If its a card that requires building around, its probably worth doing, to the detriment of cards that don't work well with it.

: Staple. Most decks of this color will use this / other colors will often want to splash this card.

: Moderate. Its probably in your deck at the moment, but when expansions come out you're looking at this as a potential target to cut. Maybe it only works well in a deck that's really focused on it, or it might be a good lategame 1-of card that you don't want early.

: Very niche or bad.

: Even worse.

A + after a rating means it has gone up in my opinion since my previous postings, a – means its gone down after testing.

Neutral Corp cards:
Melange Mining Corp: +
I have found this to be incredible and initially underestimated it. It is a must kill card, and you can often get a use off before the corp knows what it is, ensuring some value out of it. Put it in the fort you will late score agendas in, and use it a few turns, or until the runner kills it. I have found that even $30 can be not enough in a money hungry deck like HB, keep using it! This is the one to play, not pad campaign! Play 3!

Pad Campaign: -
This would be great if Bank Job didnt exist or no one played it. But people should play it, because that card is amazing. As a result, pad campaigns spread your ice too thin and/or give the runner a ton of money off bank job. When Whizzard comes out it will get even worse, as he will trash it efficiently. However, if no one plays Bank Job this is a good card.

Enigma: +
This is actually great as it is cheap and ends the run, with a small amount of pain as well. You need to play this so that the Anarch player has to put his Yog out, and then you laugh at him when it still sucks against your Tollbooth. There just are no other good codegate options besides tollbooth, which you are also playing.

Hunter: +
The key to using this card is to play Chum. Chum in front of Hunter is amazing, even against someone with Link. This is good in NBN and Jinteki.

Haas-Bioroid cards:

Heimdall 1.0:
Its not very impressive, you only play it in HB because you want a lot of ice for beta test and dont have good options. I am routinely disappointed by how easy it is to go through this card for actions instead of money. However, its still great when you get it for free, or in combination with more Bioroids.

Rototurret: +
Corporate Troubleshooter is so good with this (except against a rich runner with Ninja). And its 1 influence, so its a good splash in many decks. So often I will play a game as runner and think, “ok, as long as that ice isnt rototurret, I will run it and get through or waste all his money, and then he will be wrecked”. And its rototurret and you get demolished instead.

Victor 1.0: -
This card is SO BAD. Its is ZE GOGGLES, it does nothing. Early it doesnt stop you, late it doesnt even cost them anything to Yog through.

Archived memories: +
This is a GREAT card, especially in HB for beta test, or Weyland for Scorched Earth combing (its the second one you need for the kill!). Also in an NBN deck splashing scorched earth. Its an amazing card against Noise to pull back the agenda he milled off your deck! There is pretty much always something amazing in your discard.

Biotic Labor: +
Not a splash card but a card you need in HB.

Shipment from Mirrormorph: -
Its actually even worse than I thought. HB wants to play things over time for the bonus $. Not all at once and then skipping multiple turns to find something else to install. And its not exciting or anything turn 1. Installing a bunch of cards turn 1 means you cant pay to defend them all. Its perfectly fine to simply ice HQ and R&D and wait for turn 2. Hedge fund is the card that s cool on turn 1, it lets you afford any/all ice that you played.

Corporate Troubleshooter: +
Well, its similar to the card Sterdroid from netrunner's 'Classic' expansion, and that card was great. I This can be an absolute wrecking on a Rototurret or Archer, or end of turn run into an Ichi. If they dont use Ninja as their sentry breaker, or are poor, you wreck them. If you are a rich Weyland or HB deck with an Archer they can barely handle, and you push the archer out of reach and demolish their board, its game over. And this card singlehandedly demolishes Anarchs, as their Mimic cant be pumped to exceed the strength of your Rototurret, and now you trashed the Djinn that was holding all their other programs in it.

Zaibatsu Loyalty: -
Its merely Bank Job bait, since you don't want to waste ice protecting it.

Cell Portal: -
Almost impossible to make it work. Its basically a 2 credit discount on an ice whose subrouting is "End the run, derez this card (thus losing you money), and the runner may run this server again without spending an action". Bad even with Akitaro.

Chum: +
Very vulnerable to a Parasite or Forged Activation killing the ice behind it, and thus killing it as well. But, its great in front of Chum, Data Raven, or anything with a Femme Fatale counter on it!

Data Mine: -
Its just not good against strong, careful players. Just don't run Jinteki without a full or overfull hand, and you pretty much win.

Wall of Thorns:
Decent.

Data Raven:
This card is a super hard 'end the run' in Weyland. Its really really strong at keeping people out for a reasonable price. But its not as good if you dont play Scorched Earth. Not that great in NBN actually, without SE.

Psychographics: +
Its either the best card in your deck or the worst. But you pretty much need it in a non-scroched earth NBN deck, or else your tags have no teeth and they can just walk through your data ravens.

San San City Grid: +
Simply insane. Its a massive threat, even unressed, and then burns $5 for the runner to remove. If youre ressing it, that means youre pushing through an agenda without giving the runner a chance at it (or without having to give it away first by advancing it early). Or alternately, it forces a run through your agenda fort followed by an extra $5 cost. Might be best in HB. In NBN its good but that deck can be kindof poor, and its kindof expensive.

Weyland Consortium cards:

Archer: +
Simply amazing in Welyand. Wins games. The point of 1 cost agendas is to res this.
If you could priority requisition this or Hadrian's Wall, probably choose Hadrian's Wall, to maintain the surprise value of this! An unexpected Archer wins games.

Shadow: + Its actually a big economic advantage. It basically costs 1 to res and then has 2 subroutines as a sentry, so its $2 at least to break. Thats efficiency.

Aggressive Negotiation: -
Just horrible. If you need more scorched earth, you play Archived Memories.

Shipment from Kaguya: -
In a narrow situation of having two cards you want to advance, it gains you an action and $2. But not an aciton in the sense of biotic labor thats awesome, but rather a filler action that was probably just going to be $1. So its basically a beanstalk royalties that doesnt give Weyland an extra $, and only sometimes is playable. Thats terrible.

Anarch Cards
The Virus suite is quite good, and your ice strength reduction allows you to use the efficient Anarch icebreakers Yog and Mimic. Noise will usually provide one free agenda in Archives per game, and you can build up an unstoppable attack on R&D with the Medium virus, and force the opponent to let you timewalk to reset it. Bonus card draw from Wyldside helps you assemble all of your combo pieces.

Deja Vu:
Recurring Parasites is really, really good. Especially since its extra milling. Still not an early game card, so running 3 might be unnecessary.

Datasucker: +
This is a solid splash in Criminal, and is similar to Desperado in that it increases the profit from each run (or counteracts the costs). Its kindof like a Cyberfeeder that works per run instead of per turn! Anarch simply has to have this to function.

Criminal Cards
Criminal decks have many strong cards to remove/expose ice, get income, tutor for needed icebreakers, defend against tags and meat damage, and spread enemy defenses thin. Criminal decks are filled with tons of cards that everyone else wishes they had enough influence to splash, and win by overwhelming the opponent with accumulated small efficiency gains and a versatile attack.

Account Siphon: star: +
This is actually an insane beatdown, especially when followed by Forged Activation Orders, or a run on their agenda server that they now cant afford to rez ice on. The economic gain is completely insane.

EDIT:
Lemuria Codecracker: ??
I have been shown a deck that is really good, that relies on codecracker lategame. So I guess maybe in a certain narrow case, the card is useful. Don't just throw it in your deck though. I grudingly cannot call it terrible after getting wrecked by a deck several times, whose owner says the card is critical to avoiding trap losses, that he is vulnerable to.

Femme Fatale: +
One of the best ice is tollbooth, and this goes through it for 1, while nothing else goes through it for any reasonable amount of money. Thats a nullification of an $8 ice for the corp, justifying its cost. Also great against Archer, Hadrian's Wall, and Janus. If you play it, you might be playing it instead of ninja not in addition, and in a deck with ice strength reduction (a Criminal splashing Datasuckers can play this to good effect). Its weakness is Corporate Troubleshooter.

Bank Job: ?
Such a meta dependant card. This wrecks people who dont play around it insanely hard, and is bad if they only ever make one, well protected, extra data fort.

The Maker's Eye: +
Its actually critical in Shaper decks, and a reasonable splash in Criminal, since it gives the Criminal needed endgame, without the MU cost or requirement to make multiple successful runs to be good that medium has.

Tinkering:
This card allows Kate to simply ignore you early game and then storm in for the one agenda you try to rush past her while she is building up. Lategame it can save a ton of money because your Gordian blade goes through everything, on the turn you hit their HQ three times.

The Toolbox:
Essential for Kate. She needs the MU too much, and it gives her the incredibly strong lategames and makes traces an even money fight.

Rabbit Hole:
Better now with more trace. Works great with Pawnshop.

The Personal Touch:
Its only good on Crypsis.

Battering Ram: +
Its good in Kate decks. You still don't run it in the others, but Kate doesnt need to spend influence on Corroder.

Magnum Opus: +
Thisis actually essential for Kate, and a reasonable splash in Anarch (you put it in a Djinn!!!!!)
You simply need this to set up your engine, and allow hard endgame runs.

Sacrificial Construct: +
It can be a delayed Easy Mark with a pawnshop, which is reasonable, but mostly it protects you from getting savagely wrecked by a Rototurret or something pumped through the roof by a Troubleshooter. And as Anarchs, it saves the Djinn holding all your stuff. With it out, you can suddenly make runs without your sentrybreaker in play, that you otherwise couldnt make because of the risk of getting demolished by a Rototurret. That allows you to be much more aggressive.

Crypsis: +
Its actually great in decks that have early game problems. Simply play this card, add a counter or two, and then stimhack, and you can take any agenda early on that the corp thought you had absolutely no chance of getting. I found that it improved my Kate deck a ton, as it removes her early game weaknesses.

Its also good as saving you MU, so you can play other programs rather than needing MU for an entire icebreaker suite. However, if you don't play it in combination with other icebreakers, it gives you a weak lategame. I like it best as a midgame card, followed up by finishing my breaker suite eventually and trashing it for $3 with Pawnshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup... it's awesome to see the metagame evolve, even without new cards being added to it, solely based on game experience. I, for one, have been championing Melange Mining Corp and Rototurret for ages; and though my opinion on other cards may still differ from the status quo, it's absolutely fantastic to see how many possibilities there are with this game.

For example, I think quite highly of Personal Touch in an Anarch deck, as an alternative/buffer for Datasucker to keep Mimic and Yog from finding Ice they can't break; also, when splashing Yog and/or Mimic in a Shaper deck, it can prevent you from burning Influence on Datasuckers if you need it for something else. And I still can't bring myself to try Femme Fatale - I'm sure once I grow a set and do, that my opinion of her will go up. As it stands, I just can't see $9 down and $2 per boost being cost efficient, even with the ability to ignore one Ice... but then, not a lot of people put Toolbooth or Data Raven out against me, either (which I consider a mistake). And don't even get me started about SEA Source - I'm splashing one or two in almost every Corp deck I make so they can prepare dirty surprises for the Runner. Being able to tag them unsuspecting on your turn is just STUPID good.

Wow... I could go on like this all day... I'd better stop now.

Damn good article, though. Damn good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting how a lot of the card opinions you listed are based on the current meta and fears of what cards your opponent will be playing.

I disagree on Melange (I'd give it 2), Shipment from Kayuga (I'd give it 3), Aggessive Negotiation (I'd give it 3), Victor (I'd give it 2-3), San San City (I'd give it 2) and Biotic Labor (I'd give it 2). But that's expected- disagreements on cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mb
This is a much better evaluation of things Great read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really appreciate the analysis. Huzzah.

I've played around a lot with various Criminal decks, so these are my thoughts on the following:

Alexfrog wrote:

Datasucker: +
This is a solid splash in Criminal, and is similar to Desperado in that it increases the profit from each run (or counteracts the costs). Its kindof like a Cyberfeeder that works per run instead of per turn! Anarch ismply has to have this to function.

Running Datasucker allows you to run Yog.0 instead of Gordian blade if you want to. Still, I often run into trouble getting enough MU (and I find I don't have the influence for mem chips).

Alexfrog wrote:

Femme Fatale: +
The best ice is tollbooth, and this goes through it for 1, while nothing else goes through it for any reasonable amount of money. Thats a nullification of an $8 ice for the corp, justifying its cost. If you play it, youre playing it instead of ninja not in addition, and in a deck with ice strength reduction (a Criminal splashing Datasuckers can play this to good effect).

Agreed: Femme is a fantastic anti-tollbooth card. Although, following on from above: if you run Datasucker/Yog.0 she's less useful. The other difficulty I've found with FF is that you want a sentry breaker out early for Rototurrets (and possibly Katanas / Ichi / Raven) and this means that you may have to pick your "bypass target" somewhat at random.

Also, I've noticed that some folks have gotten wise to this and are placing Chum in front of Tollbooth, anticipating that this will happen. Bypassing isn't so great if you have to take 3 net damage / pay extra to break Chum.

Alexfrog wrote:

Bank Job: ?
Such a meta dependant card. This wrecks people who dont play around it insanely hard, and is bad if they only ever make one, well protected, extra data fort.

My impression is that folks are getting burned by bank job / wise to how powerful Melange can be, and ditching their PAD campaigns. It's less powerful than it was, sure, but it's still worth running as a Criminal. Other factions might have better uses for the influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Davies
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
And don't even get me started about SEA Source - I'm splashing one or two in almost every Corp deck I make so they can prepare dirty surprises for the Runner.

I hear that! SEA Source is my current favourite OOF card for Jinteki. I've found that Wyldside more or less allows the runner to act without fear of your traps and snares, as they always run with 6 or 7 cards in hand. A reliable means of tagging is just so useful in those circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is a must kill card, and you can often get a use off before the corp knows what it is

Did you mean Runner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pad Campaign:
People assume this is bad bacause of bank job. Hello, do not leave it unprotected. Just one solid, cheap ice will keep the runner off it and give you a free creadit every turn.

Rototurret:
This card is only worthwhile if the opponent has no icebreakers early in the game or if it is comboed with another card, someone has to work very hard to put this to work for its cost.

Victor 1.0:
Not the most efficient card in the world, but people tend to veiw ice as inside and out side. Victor is more formittable as the middle ice.

Zaibatsu Loyalty:
Essentual in a trap deck.

Cell Portal:
great combo with Akitaro Watanabe and chum leaving the oppenent in the cross fire of a seriously intense run.

Chum: :
Chum is cheap the cheapest method to massively boost the powers of any server.

Psychographics:
Great for the quick combo advance in the NBN decks. Score breaking news, bang score another right away.

Weyland Consortium cards:

Aggressive Negotiation:
Agressive negotiations is the card you need, those silly one point agendas suddenly let you take any card you like

Shipment from Kaguya:
Trap deck and weyland ice.

Lemuria Codecracker:
Yeah its really bad in fact. Unless you are fighting a trap deck.

The Personal Touch:
Great investment as it increases strenth for much less than the investment.

Sacrificial Construct
horrible car simply sits on my side of the table till i pawn it away.

Data Dealer:
If I loose my two point agenda but I take your 3 point one I am up four points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lee
msg tools
mb
Nice card review Alex. I agree with most of your points.

I'm still a bit confused about how Corporate Troubleshooter works. In a recent tournament, I had a rezzed Rototurrent as the last piece of ice in my fort. The runner approached the ice and started spending the bits necessary to break the ice. I tell him to wait because I am rezzing Troubleshooter. I proceed to pump up Rototurret then he jacks out avoiding any repercussions. The organizer of the event does a quick check and says this is a legal play. At the time, I just said let it slide because we were under a time constraint. I still believe that the runner was unable to jack out at that point since he was already interacting with the ice and therefore forfeited the option to jack out. Can anyone confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Shipment from Kaguya: -
In a narrow situation of having two cards you want to advance, it gains you an action and $2. But not an aciton in the sense of biotic labor thats awesome, but rather a filler action that was probably just going to be $1. So its basically a beanstalk royalties that doesnt give Weyland an extra $, and only sometimes is playable. Thats terrible.

Kaguya isn't a card you use to do normal advances - it's a card you use to play the shell game. In trap decks, you advance multiple remote servers and put on a nice poker face. I'll agree it's niche, but trappy Weyland - or trappy anything - is a pretty big niche.

Also, the missed credit from not being a Transaction is compensated by the click it saves in the advancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeroShift wrote:

I'm still a bit confused about how Corporate Troubleshooter works. In a recent tournament, I had a rezzed Rototurrent as the last piece of ice in my fort. The runner approached the ice and started spending the bits necessary to break the ice. I tell him to wait because I am rezzing Troubleshooter. I proceed to pump up Rototurret then he jacks out avoiding any repercussions. The organizer of the event does a quick check and says this is a legal play. At the time, I just said let it slide because we were under a time constraint. I still believe that the runner was unable to jack out at that point since he was already interacting with the ice and therefore forfeited the option to jack out. Can anyone confirm?

You were correct - Troubleshooter can be rezzed and used when the runner is encountering the ICE, by which point it is too late to jack out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeroShift wrote:

You were correct. The Runner only has the choice to Jack Out when they decide whether or not to approach a piece of ICE. Page 17 clearly states (emphasis mine) "If the Runner decides to continue instead of jacking out, the Corporation has the opportunity to rez the approached piece of ice and any other non-ice cards." The Runner should not have had the opportunity to jack out once Corporate Troubleshooter had been rezzed. Unfortunately, the "rez non-ice cards" clarification that (in my opinion) should have been included in step 2.1 of the "Timing Structure of a Run" diagram on page 33 was not, but a reading of page 17 strongly indicates that that is when that would occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Something tells me that you play against a disproportionate number of Anarchs.

Viktor isn't that bad; 2 of 3 factions still have to pay to pass him, he does ETR and brain damage (aka: lose 1 action, admittedly), and he's cheap for a decent strength and multiple subs. Early game, you put him in front of HQ or R&D where you just need deterrence rather than a hard stop. Late game you do whatever you want with him unless you're staring at Yog. If being fodder for Anarchs is bad, Ichi is almost as bad. Costs only 1 click to break early game, and late game he's broken for 3 creds, or 2 if you're secure against trace. Yeah, the bioroid flaw kinda sucks, but with as few codegates as currently exist, I think Viktor's at least a solid one full star.

Agree on rototurret. That exact troubleshooting has lost games for me.

Agreed on PAD Campaign. There's never a point in the game where I think to myself, "you know, I could spare a bit of ice, if I could just have another credit or two every turn". My ice all goes quite happily into locking down central servers and one remote or, at worst, two.

Zaibatsu Loyalty would be a very solid upgrade, but it's not; it's sadly an asset. I can't justify its existence in a meta where Infiltration only shows up every once in a while, and where Bank Job stomps around fangoriously devouring your uniced remote servers, impervious to larger or more efficient predators.

I'm still torn on Sacrificial Construct. It's excellent against HB (AggSec, Ichi, Rototurret), but on the other hand...there's no other program destruction currently in the game so far as I can recall. I play the Anarchs vs HB match a lot and so I appreciate the value there, but they're not the most common splashes I see out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
Zaibatsu Loyalty would be a very solid upgrade, but it's not; it's sadly an asset. I can't justify its existence in a meta where Infiltration only shows up every once in a while, and where Bank Job stomps around fangoriously devouring your uniced remote servers, impervious to larger or more efficient predators.

In a good trap deck, you don't care about their Bank Jobs - money won't buy them a new, not-burned-to-a-crisp body. Stopping them from finding which are your Junebugs and Ghost Branches and which are your Posted Bounties is a priority.

Quote:
I'm still torn on Sacrificial Construct. It's excellent against HB (AggSec, Ichi, Rototurret), but on the other hand...there's no other program destruction currently in the game so far as I can recall. I play the Anarchs vs HB match a lot and so I appreciate the value there, but they're not the most common splashes I see out there.

Archer also kills programs. So, you could see destruction in Weyland and NBN too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bank Job keeps the runner from accessing the card, trap or not an unprotected remote server is free money for the runner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:

Sacrificial Construct is a solid card. OP's summary is spot on. I try to splash one or two in my non-Shaper decks, and it's a 3-of in Pawnshop decks.

Your meta seems very strange...all of my runner decklists start with 3x Infiltration. It is one of the best cards in the game. I hate to see it show up when I'm corp, and it has solved so many problems for me as a runner. That said, I still haven't managed to make room for Zaibatsu Loyalty in any of my decks, so no comment there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've tried splashing Datasucker into Crim but it doesn't really work because of Crim's memory limitations. Unless you're willing to forgo Sneakdoor or burn cards/actions on memboosters, which I'm not really. Would be nice if it did work though. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slacks wrote:
Bank Job keeps the runner from accessing the card, trap or not an unprotected remote server is free money for the runner.

This is true, but a pretty common strategy is to Bank Job a server then run in to trash the asset with your newfound money. In my experience, a cleverly constructed trap deck is one of the better antidotes to the run-heavy Crim deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
CitizenFry wrote:

Your meta seems very strange...all of my runner decklists start with 3x Infiltration. It is one of the best cards in the game. I hate to see it show up when I'm corp, and it has solved so many problems for me as a runner. That said, I still haven't managed to make room for Zaibatsu Loyalty in any of my decks, so no comment there.

I'll cop to my meta not being too trap heavy as of late. They might be criminally undervalued.

Quote:
In a good trap deck, you don't care about their Bank Jobs - money won't buy them a new, not-burned-to-a-crisp body. Stopping them from finding which are your Junebugs and Ghost Branches and which are your Posted Bounties is a priority.

Except that clicks = credits = cards. If I get 6 free credits, I'm not going to just forget how to play and barrel into one of your traps and die. I'm going to use those credits to get more credits, or more cards, or breakers or whatever. Technically, yes, credits can't buy a new body. However, the fewer actions I spend on credits, the more actions I can spend drawing, which is the exact opposite of taking damage. So in all but the most legalistic sense, yes, I can buy a new, non-smoking body as long as I'm not dumb enough to overextend and actually die.

Even if you're running every trap in the game, I can't imagine it's ever to your benefit to give me free credits. Given the choice between handing me a bomb, and selling me a bomb, why ever make it easy for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sklar
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game!!

I am still somewhat confused, on why the consensus is that RotoTurret is any good. Doesn't it have a strength of 0?? How is this effective?

I am still learning the game, want to get better at it, so I would appreciate the reasoning behind it!

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gralem wrote:
I love this game!!

I am still somewhat confused, on why the consensus is that RotoTurret is any good. Doesn't it have a strength of 0?? How is this effective?

I am still learning the game, want to get better at it, so I would appreciate the reasoning behind it!

Thanks!!!

Strength 0 is nothing worse then Strength 1 or 2 ost of the time. It only matters if they have to pump up the breaker strenth or not.. Also Rototurret hast 2 Routines that must be broken to pass. So even with the best breaker for sentrys it will cost them 2. The first Rezz is also something that can hit very hard with Rototurret.

It trashes a Program and they can´t do anything about it if they hit it while they have no sentry breaker out. And then you trash the one breaker they might have out... and it takes them even more time to build up again.

The price is also ok as you can rezz cost 4 ICE in the first round without problems so its also good as early protector of R&D or HQ.

Oh.. and only one influence ofc, which makes it playable for every faction very easylie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IamSalvation wrote:
Gralem wrote:
I love this game!!

Thanks!!!
Strength 0 is nothing worse then Strength 1 or 2 ost of the time. It only matters if they have to pump up the breaker strenth or not.. Also Rototurret hast 2 Routines that must be broken to pass. So even with the best breaker for sentrys it will cost them 2. The first Rezz is also something that can hit very hard with Rototurret.

It trashes a Program and they can´t do anything about it if they hit it while they have no sentry breaker out. And then you trash the one breaker they might have out... and it takes them even more time to build up again.
To add onto what IamSalvation said: most Runners, especially in the early game, will run on a server before their Rig is set up, in an attempt to keep the Corp's economy down by forcing them to rez ICE, as well as scouting to figure out what kind of Icebreaker is most important. Running against HB, especially on your first click, can be a very effective scouting tactic, because most of HB's nastier ICE effects can be avoided by spending clicks, and really, if the Run ends, at least you forced the Corp to spend the money to rez the ICE.

Then there's Rototurret. There are no Killer programs that don't cost at least 1c to break a subroutine, so even if the Runner goes in equipped with one, it will cost them 2c to break it. If they go in with at least one program and no Killer (or Crypsis or Wyrm) then the Corp gets to set the Runner back that much further.

Rototurret is an early-game tempo-setter. It allows the Corp to try to keep the Runner in check through that crucial first stage of the game (when the Runner has the advantage while the Corp gets their defenses set) so that when the game enters its second stage (where the Corp rushes Agendas while the Runner sets their Rig) the Corp can minimize the Runner's point advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gralem wrote:

I love this game!!

Thanks!!!

When you're considering Ice, there are two cases. One, they encounter the Ice with the correct icebreaker in play, and two they encounter it without the correct icebreaker in play. Then there is the consideration of how much the ICE costs to rez, (can it be rezzed first turn? for instance) as well as asking if it dependant on other Ice? (Chum, Cell Portal) Finally, if considering taking it out-of-faction, you must consider its influence cost.

Now Rototurret has two must break subroutines, and there are no Killers (Sentry breakers) that break for zero. So once they have the correct breaker in play it will cost them 2 credits to get by each time. Note that this is the same as other basic Ice such as Wall of Static or Enigma (Unless they use Yog.0 in which case Enigma is free to break).

Costing 2 credits each time for a 4 cost piece of Ice is ok, but nothing to write home about. Where Rototurret really shines though is the second consideration. What if they don't have a killer in play? And here, it's much nastier than a Wall of Static or Enigma. Not only does it have that vital ETR routine, but you get to trash their expensive Icebreakers or magnum opus. Trash their battering ram and suddenly your Wall of Static on HQ is an impassible barrier once more.

Rototurret is cheap enough that you can rez it first turn (though you'll probably don't want to rez it until they have a program in play), it is self sufficient, and it has an influence cost of 1, so anyone who wants it can have it.

Weaknesses:
Parasite, Trashes instantly (but at-least that's one Parasite that doesn't go on a Toll Booth.
Crypsis, Only two credits to break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Crypsis on Rototurret also costs the Runner the click they used to put a Virus counter on Crypsis, unless they trash it for whatever reason, which is unlikely.

They'd need to repeat the click and two credits each time too which improves Rototurret somewhat, from the Corp's point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parasite kills Rototurret, but is also one of the best cards. Parasite kills Archers too, with time and datasuckers. Costing $2 to break withthe correct breaker for a cheap ice isnt a weakness. Thats standard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.