Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Microbadge: Houston Astros fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ years
Re: The classic SPI QuadriGame system and the Gazala Gallop
Great job as usual, Pete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Napoleonic 20 fan - FrenchMicrobadge: SPI fanMicrobadge: Victory Point Games fanMicrobadge: Game Designers' WorkshopMicrobadge: Winter War fan
Thanks Pete

I had it to where back in the day I calculated my Axis unit moves and positions so I could wipe out the southern Allied units by turn 3,turn 4 at the most including Bir Hacheim with a southern swing around and up into the rear of the fortified boxes.

Well this spring I played it again after a long period of years not touching it. I sure wasn't able to repeat my wonderful performance of when I was 20(year it came out) even with trying hard to do so.
This is one where I want to play it again soon to get my Axis mojo back where it once was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ExpatriateMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Copper Image Uploader
Quote:
This was a good design choice because allowing any changes would bring Field Marshal Nostradamus and his 20/20 hindsight into the process.
Thumbed for this.

Although, I can't but feel that all these old Quad games are lessened in value, since Jim Dunnigan himself came on BGG and admitted that they were merely puzzles to be solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kohr
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Hammer of the Scots fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Wargamer - Vietnam WarMicrobadge: Reiner Knizia fan
Dunnigan was responding to somebody talking about Operation Olympic, which was a solitaire game, and not a Quad game. Solitaire games do in fact tend to be "merely puzzles to be solved".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Hex & Counter WargamerMicrobadge: Copper File UploaderMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ years
Thanks for the great review.

I have played MANY great games of Cauldron on Hexwar.com.

A fascinating study.

Hexwar.com has an option for "Fog of War" which has all units four units away are invisible. The game is good either way but FOW adds some mystery.

On Hexwar.com, the supply rules with their restrictive advances is incorporated into the game so no figuring out on your own whether a unit is in supply or not.

My handle on hexwar.com is iam2509 if anyone wants to give me a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"A Truth thats told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent It is right it should be so Man was made for Joy & Woe And when this we rightly know Thro the World we safely go Joy & Woe are woven fine A Clothing for the soul divine ."
Microbadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fan
Outstanding review - thanks. I play a Paul Rohrbaugh game called Fox's Gambit which is set at the same time with the British boxes and mines in place. It sounds like you know your history when it comes to this period in North Africa, Pete. Can you recommend a book to read on Rommel in this time frame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Argent
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Humphrey Bogart fanMicrobadge: Guitar playerMicrobadge: Carl SaganMicrobadge: Mexican Food fanMicrobadge: Hubble Space Telescope - eye on the Universe
Nice review, Pate, well done. Always glad to see someone playing the North Africa quad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ExpatriateMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Copper Image Uploader
InvisibleRobots wrote:
Can you recommend a book to read on Rommel in this time frame?
Panzer Battles, by von Mellenthin. He was a staff officer with the Afrika Korps and got to see a lot of Rommel up-close and personal. The most hilarious part of the book is when Rommel was traveling somewhere as he was wont to do, and he got cut off and almost killed. When he got back to the command post, von Mellenthin and the others were carrying on calmly, preparing to launch the next attack without him. Rommel was flabbergasted that anyone else could do the job that he though only he could do and went off to his tent to sulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"A Truth thats told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent It is right it should be so Man was made for Joy & Woe And when this we rightly know Thro the World we safely go Joy & Woe are woven fine A Clothing for the soul divine ."
Microbadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fan
jumbit wrote:
InvisibleRobots wrote:
Can you recommend a book to read on Rommel in this time frame?
Panzer Battles, by von Mellenthin. He was a staff officer with the Afrika Korps and got to see a lot of Rommel up-close and personal. The most hilarious part of the book is when Rommel was traveling somewhere as he was wont to do, and he got cut off and almost killed. When he got back to the command post, von Mellenthin and the others were carrying on calmly, preparing to launch the next attack without him. Rommel was flabbergasted that anyone else could do the job that he though only he could do and went off to his tent to sulk.
Much obliged for the book ideas, Pete and Jumbit. I'll try them both as they are conveniently rooted in each opposing side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Texas A&M UniversityMicrobadge: University of MichiganMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image Uploader
Nothing I love better than nice, timely reviews like this one of games with those modern graphics, well-written rules, well play-tested, etc. Can wait to order my copy from SPI in NYC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls