BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: My first visit to essen, on a small budget :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meeple Steeple
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: My wife beats me.Microbadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: Copper Image UploaderMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: I play with Yellow!
So this year was my first visit to Essen, went thursday and friday only. My friends, who have been multiple times already, all agreed this was the least interesting essen ever, but i surely dont regret visiting

My budget was also limited, so i only bought the games i really liked. I usually prefer the heavier games (i will never turn down agricola) but of course its hard to judge heavy games if you are only allowed to play one turn (which was the case on many demos). In one case, we were only allowed to play one turn but it still took a full hour :s

So, i only bought 2 light games. Both of them have easy to explain rules, and were instant fun:

Qin : Rated this game as "light", because the rules can be explained in minutes ... The game plays fairly quick (no downtime at all), but it provides enough depth to make it a fun game. I played it once at the booth, bought it instantly and had 2 more plays the same evening.

Aztlán : Great looking miniatures and artwork on the board and cards, especially considering the price of the game. I might apply ink and varnish to the miniatures to bring out the detail. The box layout mitigates the need for ziplock bags. The rules were light and straightforward (although i rated the game as light-medium), and the game has a good pace, downtime is limited. I really like the part where after you defeat your enemy in a region, you can decide wether to finish him off or let him live and draw prosperity cards: those prosperity cards do pay off, but of course you also have to consider the scoring of your opponent. One suggestion to the designer: a double sided board would have been nice

I tend to be drawn to the meaty heavy games, and my visit to essen showed me that these light games should not be overlooked. These 2 games will see alot of playtime the coming weeks

One more thing i couldnt resist buying: Perplexus Epic

Signed by the designer it will make a nice present to my 9-year old niece (and i must admit i regret not buying one for myself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2015Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2016Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2017Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2018Microbadge: I was a pillar in the VGG community in 2019
Nice to hear you had a good time, I bought back a perplexus for my wife but just the original, not the epic one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer.Microbadge: Wally fanMicrobadge: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel loverMicrobadge: I love my Gamer Spouse
Well, if you like the heavier games you should have taken a look at Yedo, the booth right next to Qin

Or Tzolk'in

Or Village - this one is deeper then it looks

I've been going every year since 2004 and while this isn't a top year, it certainly wasn't a weak one either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: VeganMicrobadge: Cat-in-a-boxMicrobadge: Apple haterMicrobadge: Tea drinker
SgtSpoon wrote:
and my visit to essen showed me that these light games should not be overlooked. These 2 games will see alot of playtime the coming weeks
I've been eyeing Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 every now and then and for being (to me) an abstract it seemed more interesting than many others which could be possible alternatives. I just don't like the price of it (cardboard copy) and even less so when compared to an electronic version.

Anyway, I finally tried it (Neuroshima hex lite) out on an Android phone.

And it was just as good as expected.

Very simple rules, tiles and components and very fast game play but likely something you've got no problem brining out inbetween games and maybe even play yet another or a third round and possibly a fourth one before you start playing something else.

I don't know about "light", light on rules at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Steeple
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: My wife beats me.Microbadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: Copper Image UploaderMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: I play with Yellow!
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Well, if you like the heavier games you should have taken a look at Yedo, the booth right next to Qin
I watched a game being played. Lovely board. But my budget was gone
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Or Village - this one is deeper then it looks
I've played a few games of the village at a boardgame club, but i always screw up by wanting to do too many things at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls