Steven Lee
United States
Waconia
MN
flag msg tools
badge
fsociety
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first review so forgive me if it isn’t laid out very well.
Zombicide has become a top 10 game for me and even though it has its flaws, I feel that it will remain there for some time.

This was one of the first games I ever Kickstarted and is possibly the cause of my KS addiction and dwindling bank account, but I am very happy with what I received. Since receiving Zombicide in the mail, I have played probably close to 20 games. I have played with a wide range of people, from gamers to non-gamers and even with my fiancé.

I use to be a miniature gamer and most of my friends are or have been. As some of us have dropped in and out of the hobby, we have had a hard time having successful game nights since some of us no longer care to play the miniature games. I recently got into board games earlier this year and have been trying to introduce some games to the group. My first successful game was Arkham Horror, but with the lengthy rules and set up/take down time, I dreaded having to introduce it to each friend as they began to show up to game nights.

My next successful game was Zombicide.

Pros-

This is probably the best version of a cooperative game that I have played that doesn’t feel like it is a solitaire game with multiple people. To clarify, I feel like in a lot of cooperatives, the games can tend to turn into the most experienced player telling everyone else what to do on their turn. I admit there is some of this as when you teach this to a new player, but I always feel like I can give options of what they could do and never felt like if they chose one path it would lose us the game.

Also, I enjoy that it requires cooperation. I enjoy Arkham Horror a lot, however although we are working together in that game, I never felt like another player actions had a strong impact on my gameplay. In Zombicide, I feel like there have been multiple times where I have been stuck in a room with a zombie and have 0 actions left and NEED my partners to help me.

This game drips with theme. It feels like the zombie apocalypse and will make you feel like you are slowly avoiding your impending doom.

Guillotine Games has done an amazing job releasing new content. Since shipping they have released a campaign, 4 additional maps, and a new character that they will give out to people that submit the best user created maps. I think it would have been very easy for them to take the money and start working on the new expansion and the other things they have committed to with little updates. However, ,I have been amazed with how much they put out, along with the user created scenarios, there will be plenty of scenarios to play for a long time.

It’s simple. I haven’t had to spend more than a few minutes explaining the basic mechanics and the rest can easily be taught as the game progresses.

It’s fun. I have yet to play this with someone who didn’t enjoy it. My fiancé enjoys it, which is a huge plus since she is my #1 gaming partner. Also, my miniature gamer friends who I have unsuccessfully introduced to other board games will play this anytime. They will even request to get together to play it. This has been a huge plus since as some of us have dropped out of miniature gaming, it gives us something to still get together and play. (Now if only I could get them to play some of my unopened games on my shelf…)

Cons –

The rules leave something to be desired. This has been talked about a lot on BGG, but after a few games, you will probably never even need to reference the rulebook, so it wasn’t that big of a deal to me. Some of the rules I am not a fan of thought are.

-Splitting of a zone. If zombies have 2 equal targets, they are supposed to split into even groups, even if it means adding more models. This rule I feel doesn’t fit the theme well and becomes more of a hasstle that slows down the game. I haven’t figure out yet if this doesn’t happen much in my games or if I have been subconsciously ignoring it.

- Extra Activation for lack of models. I have the abomination pack and I never feel like I have enough walker models once I get near the end of the game. There have been many a games that have been lost in the last minutes because I drew a bunch 7+ walker cards in a row, it isn’t a great feeling. That being said though, I do enjoy that I have lost this game a good amount of times. There are some coops that feel a little too easy after multiple plays, I have yet to get that feeling from this.

Broken scenarios. There are a few that are in the book that aren’t even worth your time. (Y-Turn) However, there are plenty that are still fun so as soon as you discover those, you can move on or house rule them so that they work better.

Player Elimination. This wasn’t an issue for me until I had played a 4 player game. With 4+ players you only have 1 survivor per character, so if you get killed, you’re out of the game. With fewer players this isn’t an issue since all people have multiple survivors and can sacrifice one for the greater good. This could be house ruled I am sure and I have heard the expansion will put eliminated players in charge of the zombies, but for now it kind of sucks when your friend dies and has to watch the rest of you finish the game.

Lack of heroes. This is more of a personal quibble. I love playing games as different characters so that I can get a different feel every time. Now luckily I got the 3 promo characters so my roster is up to 9 and I have more coming in March. However, if I had the base game, I feel like I would get bored with the heroes pretty quickly. Especially if you play 2 player games, after 2 scenarios, you would have played every hero once. Now this may not be an issue for everyone, but I would have liked a few heroes to change things up.

Final thoughts-

I will be keeping this game for a long time. It is a great game to play at a game night, with your significant other or even solitaire. It continues to impress me that it is so accessible to multiple gamer types, and always leaves the players with an enjoyable experience win or loss. To be honest it has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth since with my miniature group I can’t get any of my unplayed games to the table because of the requests to play Zombicide. But when I really think about it, I am more than happy to bring it back out to the table, because I would rather have a game that can bring us all together, than be interested in different games that keep us apart.
10/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every player board has a template on the back to create a new character doesn't it? And they provide a list of skills you can use to create those new characters if I remember correctly, so you should be able to very easily make all the characters you would ever want and not get bored on that account.

In my opinion a few of the rules need tweaking to make this game flow just right and i've mentioned those in other areas.

I think this is an amazing game.

You are right about some of the scenarios being too easy while others are just right. It shouldn't take but a few easy tweaks to make the easy scenarios a bit harder and more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.