Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Huw Morris
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there any news on Oxcon 2013? Is it even happening at all? I ask only because I've just booked the function room at The Mitre for 26-27th January, and they have no record of the room being booked at all in January. If it is happening, perhaps one of the organisers could pull their finger out and actually book the room, while it's still available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question - I do hope so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Simpson
England
Brighton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
UKf2fDip.org - supporting Face to Face Diplomacy in the UK
badge
Yes, it's very dark isn't it? Almost... black. Yes, I shall need to get the black out. Black.... BLACK!!! Like The darkness of space that leads into the chasm of clams.... My eyes!! My eyes are pies..and yours are lies...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, good question. Nothing on the pre-MidCon QLA that's just come out either. Although it seems questions get asked about OxCon every year.

If nothing else comes out here beforehand, I'll try to remember to ask some of the Oxford Mob at MidCon next weekend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumour has it that Oxcon is 19-20th January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw Morris
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But so far, absolutely nothing to be found on Google. You and Stretchy are the only two people who claim to know anything, and even you're not sure..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it weren't for the fact that it is so annoying, the almost mythical status would almost be part of its charm...

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salmacis wrote:
But so far, absolutely nothing to be found on Google. You and Stretchy are the only two people who claim to know anything, and even you're not sure..

Just to confirm, Mark is my source too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the-labyrinth/games/calendar-20... the dates are as per James (above). Has anyone heard any different or any other news yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news what tournaments will feature at OxCon? Last year there was some talk of replacing Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest with you, none of us are even convinced that OxCon is going ahead, let alone any tournaments!
Have you heard different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had non-Mark confirmation that it is full steam ahead. Unfortunately it turns out that I cant make it now; but at least it's non-mythicality has been confirmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this event so obscure every year? There's plenty of boardgamers in and around Oxford. With a bit of advertising this could quite conceivably grow and find itself a better venue as well. Or is it just inertia that keeps it going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White Stone wrote:
Why is this event so obscure every year? There's plenty of boardgamers in and around Oxford. With a bit of advertising this could quite conceivably grow and find itself a better venue as well. Or is it just inertia that keeps it going?

It's such a shame. It seems people ask and ask each year and only last minute each time does confirmation come out. As in the previous post, people are now unable to make it (on the assumption it is going ahead). I too am not going to be able to now and 3 others who would normally make a weekend of it.

Shame as location-wise this could - should - be one of the best 'cons' in the calendar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree. Unfortunately the club organising it is a student club; and at the moment they are all from outside the mainstream hobby. The con means more to many of the attendees than to the organisors.

That said, please dont write the whole convention off yet: At its best oxcon is a brilliant con offering well run tournaments in a beautiful setting, introducing students to the wider hobby and raising funds for recruiting next years students.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Sutherland
United Kingdom
HAMPTON
MIDDLESEX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpinnion wrote:
... Unfortunately the club organising it is a student club.... The con means more to many of the attendees than to the organisors...
Pity that some local gamer does not take this on to bring the "certainty" that seems to be missing around this event.

Even if it does go ahead (and I hope that it does), 19th is booked out for me at the Epsom Games Club monthly Games Day (a club that I helped found 2 years ago, and if I can do it, anyone can do it! shake )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
Pity that some local gamer does not take this on to bring the "certainty" that seems to be missing around this event.

Since writing my post last night, I've actually been considering this idea. I'm currently in the process of moving away from my organiser position at Oxford On Board (done it for four years, somebody else can do it now), which would give me a little bit more free time. The thing that I'm mostly thinking about at the moment is if I should be aiming to take over the organisation of the current Oxcon, or simply start something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Sutherland
United Kingdom
HAMPTON
MIDDLESEX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Stone wrote:
Jazzuu wrote:

Since writing my post last night, I've actually been considering this idea. I'm currently in the process of moving away from my organiser position at Oxford On Board (done it for four years, somebody else can do it now), which would give me a little bit more free time. The thing that I'm mostly thinking about at the moment is if I should be aiming to take over the organisation of the current Oxcon, or simply start something new.
Good for you! As you no doubt know from your time organising OOB, it takes one committed person to be the cause/start of something.

Good luck with whatever you do and if it's not on the third Saturday of the month, I may well take a spin up to play games, eithe on my own or with one of two others.

To paraphrase a quote from a Costner film - "if you build it, they will come" - I used this as the motivation to help to cause Epsom Games Club into being.a couple of years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White Stone wrote:
Jazzuu wrote:

Something new, in a well-lit venue would be great. Love the pub idea but the Mitre has seen better days; and let's face it - it's bloody dingy and hard to see gameboards at times.

Personally, I would be happy with something like TringCon, where numbers are limited and names put down in advance so at least the organiser has some idea of attendee numbers. But 'just-turn-up-and-pay/play' works for me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Sutherland
United Kingdom
HAMPTON
MIDDLESEX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrwendal wrote:
Something new, in a well-lit venue would be great. Love the pub idea but the Mitre has seen better days; and let's face it - it's bloody dingy and hard to see gameboards at times.
The curse of too many older pubs - the poor lighting.

mrwendal wrote:

Personally, I would be happy with something like TringCon, where numbers are limited and names put down in advance so at least the organiser has some idea of attendee numbers. But 'just-turn-up-and-pay/play' works for me too.
Tringcon is a superbly organised event in a great venue. The limit is two-fold; one the size of the hall and secondly for Keith to make sure they get a sensible amount of food in for lunch and supper.

And, of course, to make sure that people do not travel some distance (my journey is over 40 miles each way) without being able to play games comfortably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
And, of course, to make sure that people do not travel some distance (my journey is over 40 miles each way) without being able to play games comfortably.

We come up to OxCon from Brighton and book hotels, so knowing if its on or not is a definite pre-requisite, and know your pain re 40 miles travel!! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Sutherland
United Kingdom
HAMPTON
MIDDLESEX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spooky - I bought my wif'e engagement ring (and later, an eternity ring) from Oxford (we used to go there a couple of times a year - like the shops - many still have some "character") and we got married in the Royal Pavilion in Brighton.

And neither time did I play games!

And the travel to TringCon is always worth it. Great event and many great people to play a variety of games with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrwendal wrote:

Oxford On Board currently meets in the Mitre (downstairs), and yes, lighting is a bit of an issue. We've been in the function room before when the downstairs areas were booked, but the whole area just looks tatty, seats and tables aren't very good and again, the lighting. I am currently considering moving to the function room in Copa on George street but I want to check out the lighting options there first.

mrwendal wrote:

Both ideas taken on board. I'll do some more venue hunting as well to see what's available and how suitable it is for gaming. I'll make no promises as yet, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of organising a con here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
White Stone wrote:
Jazzuu wrote:

Whether you take over te organisation or start something new, I'm sure it would make a lot of gamers very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckersuk wrote:
Whether you take over te organisation or start something new, I'm sure it would make a lot of gamers very happy.

Yes, there are lots of gamers in Oxford, be them students of the two universities and/or people living there. The place is filled with geeks! (I would know, I worked there for seven years and joined gaming groups and stuff) meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soniaandree wrote:
Buckersuk wrote:

Yes, there are lots of gamers in Oxford, be them students of the two universities and/or people living there. The place is filled with geeks! (I would know, I worked there for seven years and joined gaming groups and stuff) meeple

I don't know if any questionnaires have been taken, but I can say that many people attending OxCon aren't even from Oxford. At my first one there were Brighton, Peterborough and Germany in attendance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |