Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Martin
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're currently on vacation in the Madison area and are looking for recommendations of good FLGS's in the Madison ad Milwaukee area. We've been to Pegasus games in Madison, and are curious if there are any others that geeks in the area may recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Don't know if you'll get this message in time, but board games at Pegasus is 3-6 on Saturdays, and we always appreciate more players.

As far as board games go, Pegasus is really the place to go in Madison. Last Square is predominantly miniatures. I haven't been to Netherworld, but my understanding is that they predominantly deal in CCGs. Game Haven is too small to be worth your while (terrible selection, terrible prices, and standing room for about a grand total of two people, no exaggeration). Misty I'm somewhat indifferent about, but after Pegasus would probably be the next place to look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
For a long time it was just me and Ken showing up, but in recent months we've had a fair amount of people. I'd say we average about 4-5 players these days, although it fluctuates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot K
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog wrote:
As far as board games go, Pegasus is really the place to go in Madison. ... I haven't been to Netherworld, but my understanding is that they predominantly deal in CCGs.

Frog wrote the above in 2005. The 2009 situation is a lot different in my opinion.

Netherworld carries more board game titles than Pegasus. They also offer space to play, as well as demo copies of various games (I'm unsure if Pegasus has demo copies).

The owner of Netherworld is a big gamer, and I've talked with him in depth about the latest Euros. The last two game recommendations I've gotten from Pegasus were Fluxx and Tsuro.

I'm happy to have Pegasus in Madison, but it's not "the place to go" for board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Pegasus's boardgame selection seems to be declining over time. I'm less impressed now than I was when I first moved to town. But a good place to check out, and they've got the full line - miniatures, RPGs, everything. Last Square deals mainly in minis and wargames, as well as general hobby store stuff - paints and models, but they've got some other stuff as well, and they're so close to Pegasus that you might as well check them out if you're in the area. Netherworld has a strong focus on boardgames (though they sell a lot of Magic too, which I think is mostly what's keeping them afloat) and some RPGs. And Jim is, in fact, a great guy to talk to about games. Misty Mountain seems a lot like Pegasus, although with a huge play space. I'm not entirely sure what they use it for - I'm guessing there are minis groups that meet there, given how big it is.

Since this thread is linked to by the FLGS list:

Pegasus Games:
http://www.pegasusgames.com/

Last Square:
http://lastsquare.com/

Netherworld: Not much of a web presence, but it's here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=...

Misty Mountain:
http://www.mistymountaingames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
houjix wrote:
coolpapa wrote:
Misty Mountain seems a lot like Pegasus, although with a huge play space. I'm not entirely sure what they use it for - I'm guessing there are minis groups that meet there, given how big it is.
They use it for big Magic tournaments.

Yup, yup. Last time I visited the store I got whooped in a PTQ by The Great One himself. Of course we've known each other for years, but it still stings..;-)

Very large Magic events often fill that space, and some other games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls