Adam 'Fenn' Fenton
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
200 Geekgold and all I got was this lousy Overtext
badge
Oooh - I got this Overtext too!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a few months since we purchased Flash Point: Fire Rescue and played it for the first time. My fiancee, who I shall call Tammy (for that is her name), was adamant in our first game that we should rescue all of the 'victims'*, especially the cat and the dog. We even made sure the cat and the dog were in the burning building, so that we could rescue them. This should probably concern me more than it actually does.

On that occasion, we rescued everyone successfully and the building was left in a vaguely habitable condition (barring a few flames here and there.) Little did we know that the training scenario was almost entirely rigged in our favour...

Setup
We decided to refresh with the family rules, but used the alternative map. It seemed a bit more open-plan than the original (the warning sirens should have been ringing here) and since there was no indication where we should place our initial fires, we took our cues from the advanced rules. This put one fire in the kitchen, one fire just outside of the kitchen door, and one in the main bedroom next to the wardrobe.

I'm sure I've had parties that ended like this.

Panic and chaos
Within the space of three rounds, Tammy (who said she was playing cooperatively with the fire) had already rolled two explosions directly on top of the initial ones. One of these caused a shockwave that rushed up the main hallway of the house, and also into me. I'd barely made any distance in, and I'd already had to visit the ambulance.

The fire seemed to be impossible to contain in the dining room and living room, and one victim was killed** in an explosion in the master bedroom quite early on. Several backdrafts in the main hallway were making it nearly impossible for me to reach Tammy. She had been chasing no less than two false alarms in the guest bedroom before she found a victim in the very same spot. It was smoky and oppressively hot in there, but I think she needed to clean her glasses.

Act three - where our heroes come into their own
We realised that the house was very nearly ready to collapse, and it was unlikely we'd be able to find all of the remaining victims and get them out before the fire raging in the kitchen and kid's bedroom destabilised the whole building.

Fortunately, we heard three voices coming from the direction of the bathroom, and the closet beside it. This was the lucky break we'd been waiting on. We agreed on a plan - I'd get to the bathroom (somehow!) and knock a hole into the closet; she'd try to keep the bedroom clear so we could find our way out of the side of the house. That great big hole from several bad explosions in the main bedroom had been serendipitous in the extreme.

The smoke started filling up the bathroom almost as soon as I got in. I quickly chopped through the wall whilst Tammy tried to reach the closet door from the other side. The fire was persistant, but as soon as the way was clear I called for Tammy to help start moving the barely-conscious victims from their 'panic room'.

A distant explosion from the kitchen was heard, but we reached safety with the seventh victim. Tammy went back in, but I said we'd done our best. We could hear the shouts of someone stuck in the dining room, but we had to stop there. Sometimes, the memory of that man's screams wake me up at night.

But we managed to save the dog and cat. So that's ok.

*'Victims'? It's a strange thing to call them that - and makes it seem like the fire had intent. I find this to be quite a scary thought.

**Sorry - it's a family game. They were 'lost to the fire'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bishop
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun read.

You left me smiling... and reaching for my Flash Point box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason roberts
msg tools
mb
That was funtastic! I would have left my wife on her own wandering in the smoke filled rooms.LOL! Good report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls