Subject: First infos about the Winsome Games Essen Set 2013! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

John Bohrer just released some infos about the next years Essen Set through the Winsome Games Yahoo Group. I thought that they could be interested for other people reading here but not the groups content so I asked for and get the permission to post the infos here...

The 2013 Essen Set is finished. We will be playing the three new games in their final version of the next few months. Here is a glimpse of the Set:

Northern Pacific is a no luck railroad building game, 3-5 players, lasting about 20 minutes. This game is in the genre of Iron Road/Transamerica and SNCF/Paris Connection. The game designer is established, but this is his first game for Winsome Games.

Erie Railroad is a railroad stock game, 3-6 players, lasting about 35 minutes. Vanderbilt and the like have hidden interests in railroads and try to maximize their profits. The game designer is a new face and I am glad he submitted this game to Winsome. It took us less than a day to decide to publish the game!

Continental Divide is another of our intense no luck economic knife fights, 3-6 players, lasting about 2-3 hours. Railroads are created, issue various amounts of stock and build track from the central section of the US (Chicago down to New Orleans) westward. Some make it to the Pacific (it is a big gameboard), some focus on serving the vast agricultural/mining needs in the Midwest. This game has been under development for 3 years and we are really happy with the result. The game designer has done games for Winsome before this one.

You can find this and other information about the Winsome games in the Yahoo Group...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I should just give him my money now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChemEng wrote:
The first thing I do each year in my gaming budget is set aside the money for the Winsom Essen set. This sounds like a particularly good one. Three full games is a sweet deal. Even though it is not mentioned, I assume there will also be the usual Age of Steam expansion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
Even though it is not mentioned, I assume there will also be the usual Age of Steam expansion as well.
Here is hope for a Paris Connection expansion also...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
ChemEng wrote:
The first thing I do each year in my gaming budget is set aside the money for the Winsom Essen set. This sounds like a particularly good one. Three full games is a sweet deal. Even though it is not mentioned, I assume there will also be the usual Age of Steam expansion as well.
Me too. I used to also set aside money for the Treefrog subscription until at ended...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm particularly enthusiastic about those playtimes; I hope they stay that way through final development. I've long since reached the point where I can't make room for 2+ hour games without cannibalizing plays of something else, and the only way around that at this point is unemployment, divorce, or putting my kid up for adoption. 20-35 minutes sounds wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the meantime the games were added to the database. More infos about them here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to get this year's set. With my move and new job right at the time of release last year, I just could not swing it. This year will happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls