BGG» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: New Game Store in Southern Maine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grinders Games
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Just wanted to send a shout out to everyone that Grinders Games is now open in Wells, Maine, right off I-95. We support board gaming, tabletop games, collectible card games, and soon will have a full PC Lan for online gaming. Our events can be found on our website GrindersGames.com or our facebook page, facebook.com/grindersgames - We encourage anyone to contact us if they are looking for any kind of a special order as we can get anything you need. Thanks much and we are looking forward to being a part of a growing community in Southern Maine and New Hampshire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
Microbadge: The Chicken Cup knows...Microbadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bedMicrobadge: Space Theme fanMicrobadge: Lapsang Souchong drinkerMicrobadge: Good job, Reference Pear!
Glad to have you in the area! I live in Kennebunk, so it'll be nice to have easy access to a FLGS. How substantial are your boardgame offerings right now?

-Aidan robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with Lover
I will have to head over the bridge and check things out soon.

Wayne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As founder of "Seacoast Gamers Association" (on Facebook as "Seacoast Gamers Association"); Seacoast Gamers is our forum thread for updates.

It may appear that we are associated with Diversions Puzzles & Games in Portsmouth, NH... but that's really just where we got started.

Their game nights typically fall on a Tuesday. Since our group plays longer games (like Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy) our official meetings are on Sunday afternoons at the Portsmouth Public Library.

Weekday evenings generally are not good for families with school-age children. So welcome aboard. I will promote your store to my members, and maybe we'll check you out sometime.

Mary Rudis
Berwick, ME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
I live in Wateboro so Im maybe 30-45 minutes away. Just saw this place. Ill have to go some time. Having table space to bring in games to play sounds fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Shell Back- I've crossed the Equator.Microbadge: Washington Capitals fanMicrobadge: Military History buffMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: 2019 Herculean Supporter
GrindersGames wrote:
Just wanted to send a shout out to everyone that Grinders Games is now open in Wells, Maine, right off I-95.
Wells, Maine: Home of the Maine Diner, on US Rt. 1 -- my favorite diner in the whole world.

My parents reside up the road in Kennebunk, and I everytime I visit I make sure that I eat at least one meal a day at the Maine Diner.

If you're going up to Wells to check out Grinders Games, you ought to stop in to eat at the Maine Diner. http://www.mainediner.com/menu.cfm Check out the "Dale Arnold," she-crab soup, Lobster Benedict, and homemade clam chowder.

Best of luck on the new game store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Public ServantMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: OpenStreetMap userMicrobadge: New Hampshire
The adddress is 1517 Post Road (aka Route 1), Wells ME, 04090

Hard to find that without a facebook account.

I am going to Grinders for strategy games, on Sunday afternoons. Nice place and lots of table space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Is there a variety of board/card games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Defeats Children Without MercyMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: African American history fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I speak Californian
We try to make it to Ogunquit every summer and I've always wanted a decent game store nearby. We used to content ourselves with visits to a fun (very mathy)little bookstore, but now it's gone.

Goldenrod (in York) is our diner. And Joshua's is our Wells restaurant.

Great to have another stop to look forward to. Good luck with the store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Stopped into the Grinder games. Was a nice store. Had a variety of games. Only bad part was not all the games were priced do would have ask prices which the guys were nice but Id feel bad asking for every game price. Apparently can borrow a demo game and play there. Lots of room. Looks like a nice store. Ill go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Durf
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in..." -- Winston ChurchillMicrobadge: ConsimWorldMicrobadge: Diplomacy fanMicrobadge: The Game Box userMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
Some friends and I have been playing some games in there on breaks, nice place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Public ServantMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: OpenStreetMap userMicrobadge: New Hampshire
So, we tried the Maine Diner on your recommendation and were not disappointed. Only a mile or so away from Grinders Games and huge helpings of food. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas D
United States
Kennebunk
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 2015 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: RPG: Science Fiction (Cyberpunk) genre fanMicrobadge: Primetime Adventures RPG fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Go Play!
Easy directions to Grinders from 95: Take the Wells exit on 95, turn left after exiting the turnpike. Drive to the light (US 1/Post Rd). Grinders will be in the shopping center on your right, on the opposite side of the road.

Great food alert: Maybe 250 feet north of the intersection on Rt. 1 is Feile Restaurant and Pub on the right side of the road. (A yellow building, I think.) AMAZING food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan T
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Boston Celtics fanMicrobadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Petz fan
I could not find the store hours on the website. Does anyone know what they are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Generally the store opens at 1 pm. Saturday and Sunday there are almost always events going on until 10 pm or later.

They announced on the Facebook page that the store will be closing at the end of 2013. The owner has to move back to Arizona. So I do not know what impact this has on their week day hours.

Thursday nights are family game nights. I don't have knowledge about other days of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan T
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Boston Celtics fanMicrobadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Petz fan
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Durf
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in..." -- Winston ChurchillMicrobadge: ConsimWorldMicrobadge: Diplomacy fanMicrobadge: The Game Box userMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
Store is closed, owner moved away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Thanks I stopped there once or twice. Had a lot of games. From what I saw was doing well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls