Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I plan to be in the Dallas area next week (12/6 - 12/8) and thought I'd take the opportunity to check out the local boardgaming stores. Anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm NOT looking for high-end, full-retail prices. I can find those anywhere. arrrh I am looking for good selection and decent prices.

Thanks!
Jeff Carey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
There is only 1 that I know of:

Game Chest in the Valley View Mall which is on the access road of 635 and Montfort. It's a full retail and sometimes above retail store.... sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Aldie wrote:
There is only 1 that I know of:

Game Chest in the Valley View Mall which is on the access road of 635 and Montfort. It's a full retail and sometimes above retail store.... sorry!

But they do have a wide and varied selection.

I go to that mall for lunch every few weeks. I always stop buy to see if anything grabs me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, the one in Valley View is the only one I ever go into as I live near downtown, but there is one out near Allen and another somewhere in Plano called Cosmic something or other.

Also Lone Star Comics carries a lot of games as well, but nothing compared to Game Chest.

As for game groups, go to the dallasgames website. We meet every Tuesday at Borders in Richardson and have 25-30 people. There are always adhoc games being put onto the mailing list as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcarey wrote:
I'm NOT looking for high-end, full-retail prices. I can find those anywhere. arrrh I am looking for good selection and decent prices.

BTW, I'd be interested in anybody who knows of a place that is a FLGS that has the decent prices you desire...I think they are imaginary...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Shafer
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcarey wrote:
I plan to be in the Dallas area next week (12/6 - 12/8) and thought I'd take the opportunity to check out the local boardgaming stores. Anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm NOT looking for high-end, full-retail prices. I can find those anywhere. arrrh I am looking for good selection and decent prices.

Thanks!
Jeff Carey

As Jared said, you'll be hard pressed to find a brick and mortar store that sells board games at much less than MSRP. The economics of the game industry really don't support that kind of discounting. The only stuff you're likely to find deep-discounted in person are really crappy games.

Now, if it's CCGs you want, you might be able to find those discounted. But you can find them discounted at 7-11 so why bother with a gamestore

Have fun in Dallas! I, coincidentally, am leaving town while you're here so I can't invite you to game with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we also have Newspiel.com here in Dallas too, and that guy has some ROCKIN deals!!!!

If you ask nicely he might let you pick it up from him instead of doing the shipping thing...which means it's a really good deal!

http://www.newspiel.com/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the shopping advice!

I'm surprised there isn't more available in a big city like Dallas. Maybe it's time to open the first BoardGameGeek retail outlet! Imagine the franchise possibilities. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, if you're free Tuesday night, you should come game with the Dallas Games group. As stated earlier in the thread, we play every Tuesday night at the Borders bookstore in Richardson at the corner of Coit and Arapaho. We regularly draw 20+, and we're pretty nice to out-of-towners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
Jeff, if you're free Tuesday night, you should come game with the Dallas Games group. As stated earlier in the thread, we play every Tuesday night at the Borders bookstore in Richardson at the corner of Coit and Arapaho. We regularly draw 20+, and we're pretty nice to out-of-towners.

Thanks very much for the invite. I appreciate it. Tuesday will be my first day at a client site and I'm never sure how first days are going to go, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it. I'll certainly keep it on my radar though. Hopefully I can stop by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ft. Worth gamers play on Tuesday as well, we usually play from 7-10 or 11pm, and the Arlington guys play on Thursday nights...guess it depends on where exactly you are going to be located in D/FW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The metroplex is awful big. Perhaps too big... *muhuhahahahahahaha*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe I'll be at the Wyndham Anatole on Stemmons Freeway, but I haven't a clue where that's at (I'll check Google Maps before I head out). It's been years since I've been in Dallas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Trimmer
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest Dallas Games session next week will be at the Half Price Books on Thursday. 6PM on Northwest Highway just east of 75. It has fewer players then our Tuesday nights, but it's a superior location and gaming space.

It's a pretty amazing bookstore too, worth checking out in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be in Dallas (Richardson) Feb. 12-16 and am looking to game. I'll be there for a training class so my evenings will be free. Is the Tuesday night gaming at Borders going to be on? How about the Thursday night Arlington or Half price books games? If anybody could point me at more information for or for something to do Wednesday night I'd appreciate it. I'm going to just be sitting in my hotel room otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Shafer
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the Borders they used to go to closed, not sure if they have found another location or if it's just HPB now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls