$30.00
Recommend
61 
 Thumb up
 Hide
148 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion» Forums » General

Subject: Sneak Preview - Part 4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for some Units. There are only 4 new regular Units in the game, and I didnt want to show them all, so I have chosen these two:



The Thugs have already been mentioned in other places, so whilst originally I was going to show them, I decided not to. I'd also already mentioned the Magic Familiars, but because their ability needed more explanation, I chose them too.

Later on in the week I will be showing some of the Elite Units, so make sure you subscribe to this thread or check back later in the week.
42 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the versatility of both of these units. The familiars are definitely expensive, both in terms of influence and their mana drain, but as a temporary boost, I think they could be very useful. Thanks for sharing, Paul.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
badge
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one, Paul - really like the art in these too. cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Scouts look interesting. Almost always useful though not really a "must have". The Magic Familiars are in line with a powered basic action for their non-boosted option or powered advanced action for their boosted option. I think these will see a lot of use for me just because of the versatility.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The familiars seem an interesting one to combo with Norowas' extra unit skill. It makes them cheap for that short term boost, but still lets him get rid of the unit fairly easily once the elites come out so that he can get another cheap one later on...

I also like how they can be recruited in a glade as well as more usual places. Thematic and interesting, and it makes it sort of a race to get them among those who would want them (upkeep willing).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scouts are great with Into the Heat! devil
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
The familiars seem an interesting one to combo with Norowas' extra unit skill. It makes them cheap for that short term boost, but still lets him get rid of the unit fairly easily once the elites come out so that he can get another cheap one later on...


Interesting thought. However, Bonds of Loyalty states that the unit cannot be disbanded. How would those two interact?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bond of Loyalty units can't be voluntarily disbanded, but familiars are "thrown away" if they are not fed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Toklen"?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
"Toklen"?


Damn David we better use you for proofreading! 5 people read these cards several times and nobody has spotted this one...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor K
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I understand familiars, but just to be sure: does the updated mana crystal colour allow you to change the boosted statistic, or do you keep the original bonus for the entire game?

Also, I imagine it explicitly mentions crystal for good reason. No chance of being able to take Mana Steal and then use that mana to pay for the Familiars? Or does all of this happen before tactics etc. happen? Flipping a skill to gain the necessary crystal would also be out I imagine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris pacher
Austria
flag msg tools
how i love the idea of scout! great!!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the ability to customize a unit with mana from your saved crystals. It adds one more cool decision to your turn, allows for future planning, and makes obtaining the right color crystals even more important.

Question: Can we use a mana token from the source to power the Familiar's ability from round to round? The card says "crystal of any color from your inventory", but when recruiting the unit, no such distinction is made. Also, do you lose the crystal after it is replaced to start the next round? Again, based on wording, I'd say "yes".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What I like the best is the ability to recruit a unit (Magic Familiars here) in a place other than the usual sites. For Familiars, it seems they can be recruited in Glades.

I would love to see a wider selection along these lines. Dwarves that can be recruited in mines and monster dens and all places underground. Elves that can be recruited when in a Woods hex. Trolls that can be recruited when adjacent to a mountain hex. Other units that can be recruited in desert hexes. More ideas along those lines would add a lot of variety, both in terms of types of units and strategy based on where to go on the map. Instead of just trying to get through those hexes, they could become a destination.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
I love the ability to customize a unit with mana from your saved crystals. It adds one more cool decision to your turn, allows for future planning, and makes obtaining the right color crystals even more important.

Question: Can we use a mana token from the source to power the Familiar's ability from round to round? The card says "crystal of any color from your inventory", but when recruiting the unit, no such distinction is made. Also, do you lose the crystal after it is replaced to start the next round? Again, based on wording, I'd say "yes".


My understanding is at the beginning of the round, you do not have any access to mana tokens or mana from the source, so it would have to be a crystal from your inventory.

As someone mentioned, Mana Steal might be the one exception to this, but if this really occurs at the very beginning of the round, then tactics cards have not been selected yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my opinions . . .whistle

The Scouts are very, very easy to recruit, and they have some nice unique abilities. Peeking at the top brown or red monster before exploring a dungeon or tomb could potentially prevent a disaster. The problem is that they don't contribute much combat power. The player who recruits Crossbowmen or Utem Guardsmen will attack that keep at night blind, but will usually win. The player who recruits Scouts will discover that he can't capture the keep because he recruited Scouts instead of something stronger. Scouts seem similar to Peasants; recruit them only if nothing better is available.

Familiars costs 6 influence and a mana, making them the most expensive silver unit. They are also clearly the strongest, and in my opinion, they are well worth the recruitment and upkeep costs. Their power level is comparable to the level III units, and they have outstanding flexibility. I really like that they can give healing points at no mana cost. I think that the player who recruits Familiars early has a good chance to pull ahead of his opponents.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
Familiars costs 6 influence and a mana, making them the most expensive silver unit. They are also clearly the strongest, and in my opinion, they are well worth the recruitment and upkeep costs. Their power level is comparable to the level III units, and they have outstanding flexibility.


And, of course, they can be readied by Herbalists, Inspiration, etc., making those powers considerably stronger. I somewhat think that the Familiars should be level III units (even if they appear in the silver deck).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
I really like that they can give healing points at no mana cost. I think that the player who recruits Familiars early has a good chance to pull ahead of his opponents.


If the Healing ability was 1 (+1) it would be more balanced. Free heal of 2 (+1) sounds overpowered to me compared to its recruitment cost and comparable units.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:

The Scouts are very, very easy to recruit, and they have some nice unique abilities. Peeking at the top brown or red monster before exploring a dungeon or tomb could potentially prevent a disaster. The problem is that they don't contribute much combat power. The player who recruits Crossbowmen or Utem Guardsmen will attack that keep at night blind, but will usually win. The player who recruits Scouts will discover that he can't capture the keep because he recruited Scouts instead of something stronger. Scouts seem similar to Peasants; recruit them only if nothing better is available.


Honestly, the way a lot of our games play out if the scouts can assure that I'm not facing a werewolf, they're totally worth it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Honestly, the way a lot of our games play out if the scouts can assure that I'm not facing a werewolf, they're totally worth it!


I'm skeptical. If 80% of the time, you just do what you were going to do anyway, but you've lost the use of a unit that could have contributed to your task, and the other 20% of the time you get bad news, and you've still lost the use of your unit and you do little or nothing instead, I doubt that's going to lead to a higher win percentage than just taking a more generally useful unit and hoping for the best.

If the Scouts let you, say, throw away that counter and replace it with a random one, that would be very different (obviously much, much stronger).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
CMoor213 wrote:
Bond of Loyalty units can't be voluntarily disbanded, but familiars are "thrown away" if they are not fed.


Sorry to derail for a moment: Does this mean that if a unit recruited under bonds of loyalty is destroyed (e.g., being wounded by a monster with Paralyze, I can recruit another unit there? If so, sweet! That didn't occur to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Does this mean that if a unit recruited under bonds of loyalty is destroyed (e.g., being wounded by a monster with Paralyze, I can recruit another unit there?


Yes. This is a common tactic, if you know you're going to have an opportunity to recruit a new unit soon with the -5 discount.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Honestly, the way a lot of our games play out if the scouts can assure that I'm not facing a werewolf, they're totally worth it!


I'm skeptical. If 80% of the time, you just do what you were going to do anyway, but you've lost the use of a unit that could have contributed to your task, and the other 20% of the time you get bad news, and you've still lost the use of your unit and you do little or nothing instead, I doubt that's going to lead to a higher win percentage than just taking a more generally useful unit and hoping for the best.


The comment was intended to be humorous hyperbole. Sorry for not including a smiley or something to indicate such to you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
And, of course, they can be readied by Herbalists, Inspiration, etc., making those powers considerably stronger. I somewhat think that the Familiars should be level III units (even if they appear in the silver deck).


Yes. Familiars would be great for any hero, but especially for Norowas with Rejuvenate, his new special basic action. It seems to me that if Norowas recruits Familiars early, he could run away with the game. I would be interested in hearing from the playtesters how strong Familiars were in their games.

Making Familiars level III would make them harder to ready with Rejuvenate, and impossible to ready with Herbalists. The only benefit is they would become immune to an opponent's Energy Flow (but not Energy Steal), and worth more when scoring at the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.