Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

Just visiting the San Francisco area...what's the best shop for Hex & Counter games? GMT, MMP and if possible Starfleet battles stuff?

Cheers,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coffeedream wrote:
Hi all,

Just visiting the San Francisco area...what's the best shop for Hex & Counter games? GMT, MMP and if possible Starfleet battles stuff?

Gamescape in San Francisco--333 Divisidero St. usually has a large selection of wargames.

I haven't been there in a while, but Scenario Hobby Shop in Fremont also carries a wide variety of wargames.

Gator Games in San Mateo also is very good game store. They usually hold sales around the larger Bay Area game cons. (Unless you are visiting arounnd Memorial or Labor Days, this may not be helpul.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
It's in Oakland, but check out End Game

http://www.endgameoakland.com/

If you go, tell them Ward Batty sent you. I've never been to the store, but play games with folks from there at the GAMA Trade Shows. Good folks, I bet it's a good store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario Games has closed its doors.

Last I saw, Gamescape on Divisidero was running a "going out of business" sale. I haven't been by recently to confirm whether they've "gone" or not.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Nichols
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mb
How long ago was this seen - that Gamescape was going out of business...might be worth a trip into the city to see the quality of the discounts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Quote:
gamescape SF
Just been there two weeks ago... they didn't have any indication of a going of out business sale. Has there been more recent developments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was around the reopening of the De Young Museum, so either the October 15 weekend or the October 23 weekend. I just drove by -- didn't stop in -- but I recall such a sale notice on their window. I could be misremembering.

If they're still there, that's great news!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Antonio Hobby Shop. I make a pilgrimage every time I'm in the Bay area.

The staff aren't that talkative, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Antonio Hobby is closed. So is Gamescape Palo Alto (don't know about SF).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I just called Gamescape SF, and no, they are not going out of business (which is a good thing, if you ask me, cause it's a nice store).

Gamescape Palo Alto went out of business, so that's where the confusion may have come from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot Endgame in Oakland, which is man excellent store as well (and I was there only 2 weeks ago for Gamesday! blush )

Sorry to hear about the demise of Scenario, I hadn't been there in a long time.

San Antonio Hobbies is closing shop--the owner is retiring after 40 years.

Gamescape Palo Alto closed earlier this year. The San Francisco store is still open.

Afew others which may or may not be of interest:
- D&J Hobby in Campbell--there selection can definitely be hit or miss.
- Game Kastle in Santa Clara which I don't think has much in the GMT/MMP wargames, but pretty good for Euro games, miniatures and CCG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robinson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/88946

Link to blog about Bay Area game stroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Drew
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Game Kastle carries quite a few GMT Games. They also carry a few Columbia block games.

I do not recall seeing any mmp games there, but I could be wrong.

They probably have the best selection of board games in the South Bay at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
On a related topic, what gaming groups are there in San Francisco? I'm moving there real soon & keen to get some gaming in to meet new people. I know there's a big group on Friday nights at a certain coffeeshop - are there any others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dayley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to second Hank's choice of Game Kastle in San Jose. Great gaming store, good inventory, Board gaming on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons.
(Update Nov 2015) After 10 years it's an even better gaming store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update... I was just in GameScape in SF and I found it to be a nicely-stocked well-managed store with friendly staff. They had all the new releases as well as older titles. I saw some wargames, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update a long dormant thread, but Gamescape in SF is still open. Not a ton of wargames (when I inquired about picking up ASL Starter Kit #1 I was told that someone had just bought all of their ASL stock and they would not be getting any more nor could they order it and I should just order it online), but they do have a shelf in the back for them.

The biggest problem is that it closes very early, i.e. 7 PM and as a result isn't really supportive of the community as a place to play since only a few events (namely Warhammer 40k) are scheduled past closing time. They have a schedule of events, but it seems to be pretty weak and appears that they don't really run much in the way of special events or tournaments. They run a boardgame night, but that just means they supply some games to the cafe on the corner who reserve some nice large tables on Wednesday nights. RPGs are sold, but not supported with any sort of organized play. They also only carry Citadel paints so if you're a miniature gamer and don't like buying the most expensive product available you'll have to buy it online.

They're not a terrible store, but considering they're the only game store in the city and there are some great and far more supportive stores in the suburbs (e.g. Endgame, Games of Berkeley, Eudemonia, Gamescape North) they really need to step up their game. If it wasn't an expensive pain in the ass to take BART over to Berkeley I probably wouldn't ever shop there. They simply don't provide the sorts of things that make a local game shop superior to an online one. The worst part is that I only live a few blocks away. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamescape Palo Alto actually closed like 5 or 6 years ago.
-picky me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Endgame in Oakland
Games of Berkeley in Berkeley

Both are huge - probably at least a thousand different game titles each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Endgame remains unparalleled across the bay at this point, imho; they're a shorter BART ride from SF than Berkeley.. (It's the 12st/OaklandCityCenter station, I think- right in oldtown, near some decent brewpubs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Kastle in San Jose deserves mention. A large selection, with several shelves of wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls