Popular Tags: [View All]
Rogério de Leon Pereira
Canada
Maringa
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have a friend coming to Brazil from NYC and he ask me if I wanna games. Of course I want it, but I don't know where he can buy good games for good prices in NYC.

HELP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hickernell
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about good prices, but in NYC you have to visit the Compleat Strategist at 11 East 33rd Street, conveniently located near the Empire State Building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Your best bet is to order from CoolStuffInc.com and have the games sent to a PO box in New York. It will be MUCH cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike of the broken clock:

Cheaper but one should try to support brick and mortar stores.

Complete strat is a family owned store, which is part of NY's gaming history scene.

I have no financial interest in the business.

Keep in mind: if you always order from onliners, then you will have no gaming space in stores when they close down.

I do order from online guys sometimes. And sometimes i buy from geek market and auctions.

I passed by the 'strat' window a couple of months ago, it was refreshing to see. I live out of town (ny) now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Your best bet is to order from CoolStuffInc.com and have the games sent to a PO box in New York. It will be MUCH cheaper.
This.

runescience wrote:
If he gets no value from the store, then why should he support it?

runescience wrote:
Keep in mind: if you always order from onliners, then you will have no gaming space in stores when they close down.
I didn't see the OP say anything about needing or looking for gaming space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
runescience wrote:
Mike of the broken clock:

Complete strat is a family owned store, which is part of NY's gaming history scene.

I have no financial interest in the business.

I do order from online guys sometimes. And sometimes i buy from geek market and auctions.

I passed by the 'strat' window a couple of months ago, it was refreshing to see. I live out of town (ny) now.

Why would someone from Brazil care enough about a business in New York to pay more money on a product he can get elsewhere for cheaper?

Don't you think the price of the plane ticket is enough? Don't you think it's enough that he's still helping the American economy, albeit in a small way, by purchasing products within your country? Don't you think it's enough that his friend will be visiting and spending money on local businesses throughout his stay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill out, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
vinashu wrote:
Hi, I have a friend coming to Brazil from NYC and he ask me if I wanna games. Of course I want it, but I don't know where he can buy good games for good prices in NYC.

HELP

Go to Kineck.com and register for a PO box. It will cost you only 5 dollars for each package that is delivered! So, you just have to order in bulk and you'll save a ton of money.

I would suggest taking a look at some of the deals on Amazon, which a few people have posted about in the Hot Deals section of this site; Additionally, I would take a look at CoolStuffInc.com

Both sites ship items in under a week, so I'm sure you'll have plenty of time. Just do a search on the Kineck website for a location in New York.

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the compleat strategist, I found them by accident some years back and they had boxes of the Metagaming micro games that I was collecting at the time as well as some old SPI and AH titles. I was going to recommend Crazy Egor's Games but he no longer has a store due to back problems. He had a very large selection 10k sq feet and offered a service where he would find any game you were looking for. I ended up getting a lot of out of print titles that I thought I would never find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8 Bit And Up Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The person does not have to come all the way to NYC to buy board games - they could order online as many of you have suggested and save the airfare. My guess is they enjoy the experience of shopping in a brick and mortar store and paying reasonable (not necessarily the lowest) prices. (Prices for games in Brazil are quite high relative to NYC.)

I work at 8 Bit And Up Games in NYC (2nd Ave and Saint Marks Place in the East Village) where we just started stocking a line of board games. I have learned that there are many reasons why people to prefer to shop in a brick-and-mortar. Believe it or not, many people do not have credit cards or PayPal and may be afraid to shop online for a variety of reasons (identity theft concerns, fear of learning something new, etc.) They also often want to be able to pick up the boxes, read them and compare games and find looking at pictures online don't really get it done. Probably more importantly, they like the personal attention, help/advice, face-to-face interaction and the atmosphere they get in a brick and mortar store. They are willing to pay a little more for these things and they can walk out with their game immediately.

So don't assume price is everything to all consumers. If you look at retail sales numbers, more money is still being spent in brick-and-mortars by a huge margin than in online shops. So support your local stores and keep us around for all these reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8bitandup wrote:
My guess is they enjoy the experience of shopping in a brick and mortar store and paying reasonable (not necessarily the lowest) prices.
The dude who wants the games isn't even going to NYC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls