Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a new game store in Milwaukee. It opened around two weeks ago.

Info:

The Board Game Barrister
2235 South Kinnickinnic Ave (just North of Lincoln)

481-2100

...and no, I am not connected to this business in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Run by a rules lawyer, presumably...[groan]

Thanks for the heads-up Dave, I'll check it out when I'm next over in Milwaukee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's it like? What do they carry? How's the atmosphere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Martin
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qrux wrote:
There is a new game store in Milwaukee. It opened around two weeks ago.

Dude, where were you two weeks ago when I posted asking about game stores in Madison/Milwaukee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EXCELLENT! Right in my 'hood, as well. (southsider)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
EXCELLENT! Right in my 'hood, as well. (southsider)

Somebody say "Southside!"

"Heeyyyyyyyyyyy!"

Sorry. blush

Former Milwaukeean. Couldn't stop myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you a south sider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmb

Regretably, I hail from Tosa.

Most all us Milwaukeeans are South Siders, in spirit at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could tell when i met ya. lol

I jest, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Holmquist
United States
Oreland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the process of moving to Philadelphia, but I stopped by the new game store after Thanksgiving. They had a decent selection. The back of the store and owner were very open for open gaming. As a bonus, they had the collector edition of Settler's. I would not buy it, but it was cool to see on in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, that's good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debora Heidenreich
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Damn you Dave Shapiro... now there is yet another place I have to drive Bop517 too, as if Memomonee Falls, Appleton, Madison, West Allis all weren't enough..... the begging has already started. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this one sees the void left behind by the closing of Napoleon's and seizes the opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lugauer
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening, all, from the Board Game Barrister, himself.

Boggles the mind how fast word spreads. Yes, there is a new board game store in Milwaukee. First, thank you, Dave, for letting the word out here. And thank you to whomever told my wife, Alicia, the actual Barrister, that this discussion was going on. Dunno how long it would have taken me to show up here otherwise.

Without getting too longwinded or self-promotional (the former far more likely than the latter, I assure you) let me say 3 brief things about the Board Game Barrister.

The heart of the Board Game Barrister is to see the games, not the boxes the games come in. We have 24 feet of demo counter with dozens (have we passed 100?) of open games to see, touch, and feel. Read the rules. Fondle the pieces. Play a game or 2.

The Board Game Barrister has a sizable (300 sqft or so) gaming area for games nights, tournaments, organized demos, or other special events. I would like to see Go and Navia Dratp leagues starting after the first of the year. What would you like to see?

My goal at the Board Game Barrister is to do it right. Right for you, right for others, right for us. Gaming is about community. In this sense, the Board Game Barrister is *our* store. To that end, comments, questions, and complaints are always welcome.

Sincerely,

-Gordon B Lugauer, "the" Board Game Barrister, himself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Looks like a trip down to the southside will be coming soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debora Heidenreich
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Okay so the begging finally got to me shake and we went there last night. I am not usually very excited about game stores, not being on the same level of "gamer" as my husband, but I was very impressed with this store.

They have a pretty good selection, comparably priced, and alot of games open on display, in fact that in itself prompted us to buy a couple we probably wouldn't have otherwise. Alicia was working and she was very friendly and knowledgable. They are willing to order anything you don't see in the store.

They have a nice area set up for gaming, and are planning on getting game nights going. And that coupled with the fact that they are board games only, so no competing with the "magic" players for space, makes me look forward to going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything my wife said above. I'm glad you got on BGG, Gordon. It's a great resourse.

I'm looking forward to the Game Nights down there...as it is truely a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Napoleon's closing is a bummer. I still vacation in Milwaukee because family is there, and always was able to pick up an out of print game there. Why did they fold?

When are gamenights? I might drop in when im home this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another "thumbs up" for this FLGS being discussed. Unfortunately for me, I no longer live in Milwaukee (I moved to Rochester, MN for my job), and the game stores in Rochester that do have tables set up are mainly occupied by CCG kids.

Anyway, when my brother (who still lives in Milwaukee) mentioned this game store, I had him take me there. I had a really good time. It was nice to play with folks that were fairly serious or even knowledgeable about boardgames.

The Barrister has a lot of games on display. Gordon and Alicia (sp?) were very helpful and willing to show me the inside of any game so I could take a closer look (very nice feature). Note that these folks also know the rule that makes me a "game nazi" in my gaming group: no greasy food at the table. Gordon seemed a little shy to bring it up, but I think that fortunately for him, most games know that sort of rule. If they don't fellow gamers that do know, should help Gordon out, as I understand the conflicting thoughts of conveying this message to those new to the hobby. Putting up a sign can come across as uninviting if not done correctly.

I was at the store much longer than anticipated and I will return if I can the next time I am in town (if I can fit it into the busy "visit the relatives while in town" gamut). For me, $5 couldn't have given me a better experience for the money (although the music played in the background, while interesting, wouldn't have been by first choice ). I felt like I could have brought my copy of Die Macher or Age of Steam and got an actual game going (both games almost got me killed in my "gaming" group).

Geeks, if you haven't been there and you live in Milwaukee, take advantage of this fine resource and give the Barrister a visit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kfritz wrote:
For me, $5 couldn't have given me a better experience for the money

They have a cover charge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kfritz wrote:

Geeks, if you haven't been there and you live in Milwaukee, take advantage of this fine resource and give the Barrister a visit!

I concur with this completely! I finally made my first stop in to the Barrister today and came away very impressed with what they're doing. The displays of the games are very open, and easy to look around. In the back there are several game tables which are used for the game nights. At the large counter, there were at least a dozen games open for display and for you to look at. Cool! Also, the store was very clean and pleasantly lit.thumbsup

I picked up Fury of Dracula while I was there and can't wait to get it to the table.

I am hoping that sometime soon I will be able to come down on a Friday night and have some fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you plan on going down some Friday, give me a heads up. I haven't been down there in awhile on a weekend, but the one time I did it was a good time.

As for the gent above, it's $5 on a game night to play games. You are given a receipt which allows you to get $5 off a purchase over the next week. Basically, you are getting instore credit.

For me, honestly, I'm way cool with it.

a.) it is a board game store. NO rpg's or ccg's (or not many ccg's)

b.) like Dustin states above, it really is a very nice store...lots of open games, VERY clean, well lit

c.) on the one game night I went to, he opened up Hacienda and we got to play it (now I own it).

d.) Very knowledgeable owner and him and his wife are very nice people.

It is the best game store in town now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
N-H
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to know a good gamestore in Milwaukee. Got family in Waukesha, whom we are planning to visit in September. I know, it's a long shot, but at least I've got plenty of time to figure out which games are only available or cheaper in the US .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls