Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Vollman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bottom line is that Chariot Lords is easy to learn and easy to play. It also has high replayability, due to being multi-player and the fact that nations move in a random order each turn which very quickly makes each game quite different.

The game system is very simple and straightforward, but is still quite rich in its history. Many nations are represented in the game but are grouped together among the four players based on those whose interests didn't conflict.

Sometimes in games like these you'll have one nation getting "revenge" on another nation for events that took place among unrelated nations on the other side of the board that are the same colour, but that effect is greatly reduced by the clever victory point system.

Every nation has its own way of collecting victory points - usually for capturing certain places, or killing a certain number of units from particular enemy nations. To pursue any other goals is generally a waste of resources.

The other benefit of this victory point system is that even beginners know what they should be doing every turn. As you get more experienced you become more familiar with everyone else's victory point targets and can do more to block them.

My one complaint about Chariot Lords is the same complaint I have about most games: the lack of appropriate player aids. It always boggles my mind how a designer can lovingly assemble a game but omit the types of player aids that easily double the pleasure of the gaming experience.

For example, the key component this game could use is a conference map. It would help players find territories without having to shove pieces aside on the map, and it could also include details on where and when each nation receive reinforcement - and perhaps also the territories that hold victory point value to them.

Since every rule in Chariot Lords has an exception (don't worry, that's actually not as bad as it sounds), a list of every nation and their key details would also be useful. Thankfully someone has put that together for us on BGG, but it unfortunately doesn't include a list of which powers it gets victory points for killing, nor which powers get victory points for killing it.

In the absence of these players aids, I would recommend making photocopies of the four victory point lists and the turn arrival chart for each player, and also to place units that will be arriving in the next turn face down in or near where they'll be entering as a visual heads-up to the other players.

(While it's true that vassalized units are turned face down don't worry about any confusion since those are usually small stacks of one or two while the reinforcement stacks can be quite large.)

Long story short: Chariot Lords is a solid game that I recommend everybody try at least once. The learning curve is quite small, and yet the game is rewarding. Since it can easily take an hour to complete a turn (for beginners, at least), target only the first five turns for that first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to see Conan & the Cimmerians [briefly], you have to play for eight hours.

There's a strong feeling that the chit draws predict the winner, or that the best chit draws on the last turn will win. This is the major downside. I've considered a quasi-Britannia pattern where the national chits are divided into two or more groups, where group 1 chits are drawn first and so on. This may not work well, but its unlikely to be worse than the situation as it at present stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.