Mario Perez
United States
Worland
WY
flag msg tools
badge
[SKEPTICAL SIGHING]
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm spending my holiday in Jacksonville, and I'd love to introduce my girlfriend to board games. Are there any recommendations of shops to visit?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, I know "faith" is misspelled ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Borderlands, Hammer Hall Games and Dick & Janes. Hammer hall has the most space for gameplay but the smallest selection. Dick and Janes has the biggest selection but zero place for gameplay. Borderlands has a decent selection and decent space for gameplay. (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Perez
United States
Worland
WY
flag msg tools
badge
[SKEPTICAL SIGHING]
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! And get in touch if you'd like to get together and game or something! Happy holidays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Benson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Not to plug (okay yes to plug), but I also just opened up a game store in Jax (Happy Viking Games). Not a HUGE selection of board games yet, but we have tons of space. Swing by, always looking to say hey to some fellow board gamers.

http://www.facebook.com/HappyVikingGames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to check it out! Stoked to have another vendor in the area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindfaeth wrote:

Agreed!!

Also thanks for your other recommendations. I had not heard of Dick and Janes. I'll have to check that out too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Rocher
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Current Holder of FITZ the Cursing Dice!
mbmbmbmb
I'll be off 10 of the next 15 days, and while i'm a big boardgamer i'm looking to improve my painting skills so will likely be found at the new games workshop store in town(Jax). Drop me an email and i can drop my brush for some dice or for some meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uneyed wrote:
blindfaeth wrote:

Agreed!!

Also thanks for your other recommendations. I had not heard of Dick and Janes. I'll have to check that out too.

No problem. By the way, I've visited Happy Viking and we are really pleased with the store and its owner. He is really friendly. Some friends and I went to play on Sunday around 5:30, only problem: the door says they close at 7. Well, we were in the middle of a game at 7, but out of sheer awesomeness let us stay until we finished up at 8. Prices are great and there is a lot of room, it doesn't feel cramped like a lot of these places can be and its a very inviting ambience/atmosphere. Highly recommend. Not a huge game selection yet, he's dipping his toes in from what I understand. Renovating the other half of the building not open to the public to have more space and a cafe! Check it out when you have the chance, all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanda dill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
That is so awesome, that there will be 2 game stores with a cafe. What a great idea,I love coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
And us at FLGS at Roosevelt & Timuquana. Jacksonville has a bunch of game stores these days. Yes, the store's called "FLGS".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyViking wrote:
Not to plug (okay yes to plug), but I also just opened up a game store in Jax (Happy Viking Games). Not a HUGE selection of board games yet, but we have tons of space. Swing by, always looking to say hey to some fellow board gamers.

http://www.facebook.com/HappyVikingGames

The store is coming along nicely!! I went in for ITTD and bought a couple games to show my support. I was happy to see that they had increased their stock of boardgames. They also had a bunch of promos available for those who came in to play for ITTD. I was afraid to ask for one but probably should have. I also noticed that their online portal now has boardgames available for purchase as well.

Best of all is they have the DJ booth!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jones
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Remember War Dogs? Thats where we are

Jacksonville Game Center

Check out our Facebook, Twitter and Website for pictures. We have 1300 square feet of table and play space.

www.facebook.com/JaxGameCenter

www.JacksonvilleGameCenter.com

We have nearly 100 games in stock with more titles coming in each week.

We hope to see ya soon

Rob

Jacksonville Game Center
Near Staples and Virgina College at the intersection of Beach & Univ Blvd on the Southside of Jacksonville. Not far from anywhere in Jax!

(904) 399-4450
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jax Game Center wrote:
Remember War Dogs? Thats where we are

Jacksonville Game Center

Check out our Facebook, Twitter and Website for pictures. We have 1300 square feet of table and play space.

www.facebook.com/JaxGameCenter

www.JacksonvilleGameCenter.com

We have nearly 100 games in stock with more titles coming in each week.

We hope to see ya soon

Rob

Jacksonville Game Center
Near Staples and Virgina College at the intersection of Beach & Univ Blvd on the Southside of Jacksonville. Not far from anywhere in Jax!

(904) 399-4450

Jacksonville is really taking off with all kinds of game shops!!! Me likes this. I'll definitely swing in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Snider
United States
Middleburg
Florida
flag msg tools
WOW.....Once Jacksonville Game Center gets DCI sanctioned it will make 7 places (Hammer Hall Gaming, Gamer Apocalypse, Happy Viking Games, FLGS Friendly Local Gaming Store, Dan’s Sports Cards and Games, Phoenix Games and Jacksonville Gaming Center) to choose from for Friday Night Magic. Not to mention the other stores that still support all types of gaming like Altered Ego's Comics and Games, Borderlands Comics and Games and Dick and Janes. That's unbelievable considering how far we came in such a short period of time. I remember when Scars of Mirrodin first hit, there literally was only two game shops and places holding FNM; Dan's and Borderlands. It’s totally awesome to see such a wide spread growth after such a long stagnant period in North East Florida gaming. Let's hope we can continue to build on the momentum and fill these places everyday with people playing a whole multitude of games. To all the store owners (both current and former) out there, a BIG Thank You for all that you do and have done to bring "gaming" to Jacksonville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jones
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Jax Game Center is NOW DCI sanctioned. It's starting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls