Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner: What Lies Ahead. Initial Thoughts on Every Card!

Rating system is the same as before, 1 to 4 stars.

Runner Cards:

Whizzard (Anarch Identity):
45/15, 3 free credits a turn for trashing cards.

He is good in a metagame that plays Pad Campaigns, but I think he is weaker than Noise. The Noise ability is usually worth free points, and also forces the corp to defend an extra fort, so it provides a ton of value. I guess Whizzard is better in a non-virus anarch deck, but at present I think you are playing lots of viruses in Anarch.

Whizzard does create a new deck type - the low virus, R&D attack Anarch runner. However, I highly question whether this deck is better than a Noise deck, since his power is so strong.

On the other hand, if people start playing Whizzard, then it makes the "only one agenda fort, no Pad Campaign" anti-bank job strategy even better, since Whizzard is good against people who play more data forts and trashable assets.

Spinal Modem (Unique Anarch Hardware – Console. Cost $4, 2 Influence)
+1 Memory, +2 Free credits a turn for icebreakers.
Whenever there is a successful trace during a run, take 1 brain damage.

Rating: to (Great in a meta with low tracing. Terrible in a high-trace meta).
Well, its a risky but potentially efficient console. Could be strong in a metagame that doesn't trace you, but I think we'll be seeing a fair amount of tracing right now. Against a non-tracing deck, this is a much cheaper Toolbox, in color for Anarchs, so this is a very strong metagame card against that meta, with potentially huge drawbacks in a tracing meta. Might be a splash card in Criminal as well, in a non-tracing meta, but for Shaper I would probably run the less risky toolbox. On the other hand, Shaper might play this the best, getting link from Rabbit Holes to avoid the drawback.

Imp (Anarch Program, 1MU, Cost $2, 3 Influence)
Place 2 Virus counters on Imp when Installed.
Once per turn, you may remove 1 hosted virus counter to trash a card you access at no cost.

Rating:

I think this is a strong card at attacking both the HQ and R&D, to remove 'safe' cards for the corp and make future attacks more effective. It also trashes any strong ice cards you see. I could definitely see it splashed in Criminal. Another amazing thing about this card is that you can sacrifice it to Pawnshop for $3 once its used up.

However, if you have some other virus counters out when you get this, I see the corp probably purging virus counters on their next turn to make it unusable. On the other hand, a timewalk isn't a terrible thing.

Morning Star (Anarch Program, 2MU, Cost $8, 4 Influence)
Barrier Breaker, strength 5.
$1: Break any number of barrier Subroutines.

Rating: ?

Seems way too expensive to me, and the 2 MU cost is backbreaking to an Anarch deck that is already stretched thin on memory issues. If Anarchs didnt already have corroder, the best barrier breaker, this might be more reasonable.

Comparing this to Corroder, it costs $6 more to play, and here are the cost differences to break walls:

Vs Ice Wall: $1 each
Vs Wall of Static: This is $1, Corroder $2. (Unless you have Ice Carver, then both are $1).
Vs TMI (new NBN 5 Strength Ice): This is $1, Corroder $4. The biggest gain.
Vs Heimdall: You need to reduce Heimdall's strength by 1 somehow. But then you break it for $1 instead of 3 Actions. (So $1 + 1 Datasucker counter vs 3 Actions).
Vs Hadrian's Wall: 2 Datasucker coutners required, more if they advance it. Best case: 2 Data suckers + $1, vs $7 for Corroder. However, They will advance their Hadrian's, and I the unpumbability then could become a big drawback.

Overall, I think this could be okay if it was 1 MU, but for 2MU I dont like it. Remember, you cant put icebreakers in Djinn. Non-Djinn MU space is precious for Anarchs, since you need to fit all your icebreakers plus Parasites in that space.

Cortez Chip: (Criminal Hardware, $0 cost, 2 Influence)
Trash to choose a piece of ice. The corp must pay and additional $2 to rez that ice until end of turn.

Rating:

Seems pretty bad to me. You can 'combo' it with Forged Activation to try and trash their ice if they are poor, but unless their money is at the exact right amount, this wont have effected their ability to res it. If the end result of this card is to waste $2 from the corp, it was a poor card compared to something like Easy Mark.

Peacock: (Criminal Program, $3 Cost, 1MU, 2 Influence)
Code Gate Breaker, Strength 2.

$2: Break Code gate.
$2 + 3 Strength.

Rating:

Finally criminals have an in faction Code Gate breaker!
Lets compare to Gordian Blade, for the commonly played (aka good) Code Gates:

Vs Enigma: This $4, Gordian $2.
Vs Chum: This $4, Gordian $3.
Vs Tollbooth: This $4 + $3, Gordian $4 + $3.
I didnt include Viktor because its a bad card, and you would usually spend 2 actions if needed rather than the $4 to use this, or Cell Portal because its a terrible, terrible card, even with an Akitaro.

So its a bit worse than Gordian, and it doesnt retain its strength like Gordian.

Compared to Yog.0:

Vs Enigma: This $4, Yog $0.
Vs Chum: This $4, Yog: 1 Datasucker counter (possibly impossible for Criminal)
Vs Tollbooth: This $4 + $3, Yog: 2 Datasuckers + $3 (possibly impossible).

Okay, its worse, but it saves the Criminal Influence. Its playable in criminal if you cant spare influence for Gordian, which could be the case often since Gordian is 3 Influence, or if you cant support the Yog's unpumpability. You don't play this outside of Criminal. But wait, Shapers got a new Code Gate Breaker thats only 2 Influence now!

ZU.13 Key Master (Shaper Program, Cost $1, 1 MU, 2 Influence)
Code Gate Breaker, Strength 1.
The MU Cost is 0 if you have at least 2 Link!

$1: Break Code Gate subroutine.
$1: +1 Strength.

Rating:

A very strong code gate breaker for shaper, or for splashing in a deck that gets link. The main draw of this card is the 0 MU cost if you have link. I find that I have significant MU problems in Shaper decks because of Magnum Opus. This really opens up the ability to play more programs, like a Sneakdoor Beta, a Medium, Parasites or Datasuckers in Shaper.

Compared to Gordian Blade, its costs $3 less, but is weaker:

Vs Enigma: $3 for this, $2 for Gordian.
Vs Chum: $4 for this, $3 for Gordian.
Vs Tollbooth: $5 + $3 for this, $4 + $3 for Gordian.

Its $1 more against everything, and doesn't retain strength pumps over the run. Both this and gordian are amazing code gate breakers, this one is weaker but cheaper and doesnt cost MU, so thats its draw. Its also easier to splash in other color runner decks. The MU is going to be the deciding factor in whether you play it. If you really need the MU reduction, you play this.

The Helpful AI: (Unique Shaper Resource, Cost $2, 2 Influence)
+1 Link. Trash to choose an icebreaker to give +2 strength until end of turn.

Rating: ??

I think it would be best in Anarch, as you sometimes really need the ability to pump your icebreaker strength for the unpumpable breakers. Shaper doesnt feel to me like they really need this card, most of their breakers pump well, and they have Rabbit Hole and Toolbox if they need link.
It does apply for the turn, so you can use it for several runs. I think this card might be most playable in Anarch, for a final, medium fueled push through R&D. The trash ability might be more useful than I am thinking right now, it will require testing I think.

Plascrete Carapace: (Neutral Hardware, Cost $3)
Place 4 power counters on it when installed. Remove 1 to prevent a meat damage, trash if none left.

Its pretty expensive for a way to save yourself from meat damage. At least it is not trashable when tagged, unlike Crash Space. But it has no other use. Honestly, I think if you put this card in your deck, and then you spend an action drawing it, and an action and $3 playing it, you've put yourself in a big hole against the Corp. However, if your meta is just Weyland decks that try to kill you, you would still probably play it. It feels like a sideboard card, in a game whose rules do not currently contain sideboarding.

Corporation Cards:

Project Atlas: (3 Advancement Weyland Agenda, 2 Points)
When you score Project Atlas, put a power counter on it for each advancement beyond 3.

Power counter: Search your deck for any card and put it in your hand.

Rating: ++ OMG!! Best card in the expansion.

Completely Insane. Weyland was the best corp, and just got better. Even if all you do is play a 3 cost agenda instead of private security force, you're improving your deck. The ability to overadvance it to tutor up a kill combo (Sea Source/Scorched Earth or something), is just insane. Alternately, tutor up all of your Hedge Funds, thats amazing too. Or fetch your melange mining corp.

3 Cost, 2 Point agendas are already awesome. You can play then one turn, and advance three times the next, for a good score, without giving away that it was an agenda.

But here is possibly the best use of the power counters: Fetch a Hostile Takeover and score it. Repeat next turn. If its early game, congrats, you can rez Archers. If lategame, congrats, you have 7 points now. Its just unreal to me that the strongest corp got the best card of the expansion. PLAY WEYLAND.

One more thought: You can use this power when the runner is running your HQ. So, youre going to get through to my hand where I have two agendas, for a 40% chance of scoring one? How about I use my Atlas counters to search for Ice/Hedge Funds right now. Enjoy trying to get the agenda out of my now 7 card hand!

Mandatory Upgrades: (6 Advancement HB Agenda, 2 Points)
You have an additional Action to spend each turn.

Well, scoring this can be game winning, as you can now just push through any agenda you want with your free actions, combined with SanSan/Biotic Labor. After you score this you might not ever need to leave an agenda out in rthe runners turn for the rest of the game.

On the other hand, its bad late in the game, and its very hard to score. A difficult card for me to evaluate.

Braintrust: (3 Advancement Jinteki Agenda, 2 Points)
When you score Braintrust, put a power counter on it for each two advancements on it beyond 3.

The rez cost of all ice is lowered by 1 for each power counter.

Rating:

Its a 3 cost/2 point agenda, so that is strong. Its an over-advanceable agenda in the trap corp, so thats really good. The power is only okay though. Project Atlas's power is better. However, it is in the corp that most wants an overadvanceable agenda.

Also: No, this doesn't make Cell Portal a good card. Don't play Cell Portal! Cell Portal is a small discount on a big Code Gate, with a massive drawback.

Restructured Datapool: (5 advancement NBN Agenda, 3 Points)
Action: Trace 2 to give 1 tag.

Rating:

A strong action with the NBN free trace credits, this is a good replacement for those terrible Private Security Forces in NBN. Its questionable if the power is better than a Priority Requisition though, but NBN often doesn't play much expensive ice. Scoring this is hell on a runner without link, especially if you play Scorched Earth in your NBN deck.

Overall, a decent card, mostly useful for giving you choice in agendas. NBN would have been much better served by a 3 cost, 2 point agenda however, even one with no ability, as NBN really, really wants to rush agendas and has a hard time protecting agendas that it has to leave out on the runner's turn.

Haas-Bioroid Stronger Together:
HB Identity, 45/15, All your Bioroid Ice is +1 Strength.

Rating: I have no idea! But I am guessing its weaker than the original HB identity.

Its funny, I had a couple ideas for what the new HB identity would be, and this was one of them. I shouldve posted it earlier so I could glory in my prognosticative powers now! I'm sure someone probably posted/guessed this ability, so good job whoever that person is!

So is this better than getting free credits? The thing is, that strength on bioroids isnt the best thing ever, since they are bypassable for clicks. However, with multiple Bioroid ice in a fort, this becomes pretty great. I think your plan for this identity is to stack the three Bioroids you draw all together in one important fort, and put other ice elsewhere, so that they are forced to actually break some bioroids. Still, I think I would rather have more free money.

One time that this ability is stronger than the old HB one however, is when you have a Mining Corp in play. In that case, you wouldn't have been using your old power when you use mining corp, but you still get this one.

Ash 2X3ZB9CY: (Unique HB Upgrade, Cost 2, Influence 2)
Whenever there is a successful run on this server, trace 4. If successful, they cannot access other cards this run.

Rating:

With link becoming more important due to things like Draco, I think runners will have base link more often. That makes this card worse. You can pour a lot of money into this card to save an agenda, so it can be a very strong red herrings if you pay a lot, but in that case, corporate troubleshooter was a better idea.

Overall, I just think Corporate Troubleshooter is way better than this card, as a way to spend money to defend an agenda.

Janus 1.0: (HB Ice, Sentry Cost $15, Influence 3).
8 Strength Sentry, Bioroid. Four “Do 1 Brain Damage” Subroutines.
Runner may pay actions to break.

Rating:

Its good because HB can get it for free with Beta Test and Priority Requisition. It is a huge free target it has a place in HB. I wouldnt splash it in other corps.

It is even better than Archer at shutting down a fort/making it super expensive to run, with the drawback that the first time they run it, they'll probably get through with a couple brain damage. But then they wont be able to take that option again.

I was impressed by this in testing.

Snowflake: (Jinteki Ice, Barrier Cost $1, Influence 2)
3 Strength Barrier, Subroutine “You and the runner secretly spend $0, $1, or $2. End the runner if you spent different amounts”.

The tricky, mindgame corp gets more tricky mindgames. You get to play rock-paper-scissors with your opponent and try to outplay them. At its best, this card is a reduced cost wall that might induce your opponent to waste money. At its worse, its an ice that only stops the runner if you keep paying money. Its clearly best at the end of a data fort, after your opponent has already committed money to get there.

I think this is a strong card, and that Jinteki plays this card, since they need cheap ice. Its really good after the runner has already paid a lot of money to get to this point of the data fort. They'll want to just break it.

TMI: (NBN Ice, Barrier Cost $3, Influence 1)
5 Strength Barrer.
When you rez TMI, trace 2, if unsuccessful, derez TMI.
Subroutine: End the run.

NBN desperately needed a good barrier at a cheap cost. WHen it works, this is great, however in testing, any link from the runner completely destroys it, and if the runner has a few credits (5+) available, then it suddenly turns into an inefficient ice or something that drains both the corp and runner's money while not actually providing defense. Its very unreliable. Its not just trace that kills it, its any time that the runner has some money, and a better economy than the corp (Magnum Opus!)

Caduceus: (Weyland Ice, Sentry. Cost $3, 2 Influence)
Trace 3 – If successful, the Corp gains $3.
Trace 2 – If successful, end the run.

Very strong against someone without link, but if they have link this becomes way worse than shadow, which retains some usefulness against a player with link. Against an early run, if the gain $3 triggers however, the ice was free, so this has good potential. Probably good for Weyland or NBN, though I think Shadow is a better card competing for the same spot.

Draco: (Neutral Ice, Cost $1)
0 Strength.
When you rez Draco, pay X. Draco gains X strength.
Trace 2 – Tag runner and end the run!

Rating:

A strong card for a rich corp that wants to tag (Weyland), or for NBN with the trace bonus. For NBN on turn 1, this card costs $1, then either costs the runner $4, or gives them a tag AND ends the run. The lategame flexibility to make this huge really improves its value. Weyland with $20 lategame that really needs to keep you out of its agenda fort can simply brute force you, similar to using a troubleshooter.

Yet another card that makes link good, imo. I have decided I am pretty much playing 3 Rabbit Hole in most of my decks, along with Pawnshop to make the Rabbit Holes in to a money/deckshrink card against non-tracing corps.

From my initial test, it was great in NBN and less good in Weyland.

Overall Thoughts:
Shaper got better, since link is more important, and they have good link. They also got a good new icebreaker that saves memory, so they have more flexibility to add programs. Rabbit Hole got better.

Anarch's Imp is quite useful. Whizzard is probably worse than Noise. Their new Console is good in a non-tracing meta, but I wouldnt play it in a meta with traces. (It makes Weyland and NBN better?)

Criminal didnt get much other than a Code gate breaker they dont have to spend influence on, but its a weak card compared to other code gate breakers. However, Criminal was already strong due to cards like Account Siphon.

Weyland got better, because Project Atlas is amazing, its the best card in the ezpansion. They were already the best corp. If I went to a tournament, I would take a Weyland deck. Weyland isn't really hurt by the Plascrete Carapace. If the opponent pays $3 and time to get this, it just helps you get ahead of them to win the game normally, which they now have a better chance of doing because of Project Atlas. Atlas can do other things than get a kill combo. It can simply get you a couple Hedge Funds for a money advantage. Or Mining Corp, or Troubleshooter, or Archer, etc. It can even get you the Hostile Takeovers you need in order to finish the game off for your final points. (WOW!) On the other hand, maybe other corps got better because runners will all be dumb and add a bunch of Plascrete Carapaces to their decks?

The TMI card maybe helps NBN, however if the expansion makes everyone start playing Rabbit Holes, NBN gets worse. NBN doesnt make the best use of Draco, so thats a plus for them. NBN was kindof weak before, (mostly against criminal) and they needed a 3 cost, 2 point agenda to make them more viable. They didnt get it. Restructured Datapool is decent, but they didn't really need a 5 cost agenda. They could already play Priority Requisition and res an Archer/Tollbooth. It competes for the same deck slot and isnt really better, just different.

HB gets another huge Ice to Beta Test into. Their new identity is probably weaker than the old, but they were already strong. I'm unsure about their new Agenda. HB was good and still is good. 2nd best corp behind Weyland, imo.

Jinteki gets help from Braintrust, Snowflake and TMI (rez with Akitaro), but its not enough. They are still weak against a strong and careful opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
You're right on Project Atllas. I didn't even realize.

"Oh, you're running HQ? Wait just a moment while I go grab a Snare! or two."

Just awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Restructured Datapool is better than you are giving it credit for: sure, it takes lots of advances for NBN, but with new ETR ice (NBN is by far the most effective corp at running Draco and TMI), I see that as less of an issue. Plus, you didn't even mention it's potential with Psychographics: get this out early, build up some tags, and you can score pretty much any agenda from HQ with it. I think NBN viability went up dramatically, provided you can find the credits to make it shine. My personal opinion: Restructured Datapool is the second best agenda in this set (Project Atlas is tough to compete with...)

Link will still kill you though, but that's pretty much always been the case as NBN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Alexfrog wrote:
I have decided I am pretty much playing 3 Rabbit Hole in most of my decks, along with Pawnshop to make the Rabiit Holes in to a money/deckshrink card against non-tracing corps.

Yesterday I was talking over the expansions with
Scott Awesome
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Can't read my POKAH FASE
mbmbmbmbmb
and he said that the tracing theme was silly because the runner could just counter any and all trace cards with 3x Rabbit Hole. Hard to argue with the logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rabbit Hole isn't exactly an impenetrable barrier...you pay six credits so that most traces won't be free (unless it's NBN). They're frequently sill worth paying for, especially on something like Caduceus. And all this is assuming (rather absurdly) that corps won't get trace-improving cards of their own in this cycle.

Either way, it's still an improvement over the current state of affairs, in which nobody increases link and traces almost always go uncontested, except for the occasional SEA Source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
...and he said that the tracing theme was silly because the runner could just counter any and all trace cards with 3x Rabbit Hole. Hard to argue with the logic.

Actually, it's very easy to argue with that logic: watch me ;-)

If the Runner played three Rabbit Holes, it means he put three Rabbit Holes in his deck- three Influence gone for Anarch and Criminal. Furthermore, he spent six Credits and a Click to fetch the Rabbit Hole (assuming he did not draw two of them by accident, which means he will need to spend an additional Click). What did the Runner achieve by this move? Most important Trace attempts begin at two or three, so the Runner just leveled the playing field. She still needs to match the Corp's economy in order for the traces to actually fail. And this is going to be difficult after spending six Credits on Rabbit Holes.

Your friend's statement is biased toward Core Set Traces, which just gave a Tag (and sometimes dealt one Brain Damage). "What Lies Ahead" features Traces that end the Run, make the Corp Credits, completely block a Server, or serve as a requirement (a disadvantage) for rezzing a piece of Ice. A Tag can be removed using a Click and two Credits, while some of these effects are trickier to value. The Corp will not invest eight Credits into a Tag, but he might do so to seal off a Server with Ash.

I do agree that the Trace minigame is going to become bimodal, in a way. Early game, the Runner will have low Link and the Corp will have the upper hand. Late game, the Runner will get his Rabbit Hole/Helpful AI, giving her an edge in the Trace competition. This sharp transition is the reason I do not like the current Trace metagame. Hopefully FFG solves this with future Data Packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also am not sure if every runner needs x3 rabbit hole. Rabbit hole itself is 3 cards and running Aesop's would eat up 1-2 more cards in your deck.

Why eat up five card slots in a Criminals deck when you can just break the ice and make up the difference through desperado and hitting HQ? Why eat up five cards when you can just use datasucker/parasite to make up the difference?

Yeah, every runner can benefit from the increased link strength, but again I am not so sure it will be an auto include. I think this will allow for more build diversity, but it won't make an appearance in every deck unless traces become even more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
athedegaard wrote:
I think Restructured Datapool is better than you are giving it credit for: sure, it takes lots of advances for NBN, but with new ETR ice (NBN is by far the most effective corp at running Draco and TMI), I see that as less of an issue. Plus, you didn't even mention it's potential with Psychographics: get this out early, build up some tags, and you can score pretty much any agenda from HQ with it. I think NBN viability went up dramatically, provided you can find the credits to make it shine. My personal opinion: Restructured Datapool is the second best agenda in this set (Project Atlas is tough to compete with...)

Link will still kill you though, but that's pretty much always been the case as NBN.

In my experience with NBN, they are usually poor, and they have trouble defending an agenda over the runners turn. Their strengths are that they have two amazing agendas in Astroscript and Breaking News, and they make a variety of trace ice much more efficient (shadow, hunter, ichi, etc).

Comparing restructured data pool to Priority Requistion, you are giving up a free rez of an Archer/Tollbooth/etc. Thats a big deal. In return, you get the ability to spend a turn tracing the runner, for trace 2, or 4 if you spend your free bits.

* If they have some link, then it is TERRIBLE in comparison to the priority req.
* Otherwise, if they feel the trace is important, they could pay money.
* Most NBN decks cant do THAT much with the tag. If you were running Scorched Earth, then breaking news was already an incredibly good way to tag the runner, its not avoidable. This one is, and it costs an action and your free bits to make it a good trace.

I honestly don't see running them over Priority Requisition in my NBN deck. I might run it over security force. But the card that NBN really really NEEDS to be decent, is another 3 cost, 2 point agenda. Then they become strong. They didnt get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarSix wrote:
Why eat up five card slots in a Criminals deck when you can just break the ice and make up the difference through desperado and hitting HQ? Why eat up five cards when you can just use datasucker/parasite to make up the difference?

If you set up a high base Link you avoid the need to break the Subroutines. A initial investment saves you Credits on the long term.

Additionally, there are at least three cards whose Trace you cannot break: SEA Source, TMI and Restructured Datapool. Of these three, TMI follows your argument (let the Corp rez it and then break the Subroutine itself). SEA Source is a one-time deal that you need to be aware of financially. Datapool is the tricky one. Once the Corp has an unrestricted source of Traces at its disposal, it is difficult not to amass a large number of Tags.

Edit: Oh, and personally, I plan to go 2x Rabbit Hole, 2x The Helpful AI in my Anarch deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the use of Rabbit Hole now:

Link's effect is to cause various effects in your opponents deck to become uneconomical. Those effects, that started out as things like "The runner pays $3 or suffer (something bad)", now become "The corp may pay $X. If they do, the runner must pay $X or suffer (something bad)". Even if all it does is that I made the corp pay several credits to use their power, thats a big gain for the runner if it happens repeatedly. Alternately, what usually happens is that the corp simply doesnt pay, and the ability is nullified.

In a deck with Pawnshop + Rabbit Hole, you have a nice choice of two options:

Option 1: Pay $6 ($5 as Kate), to essentially nullify or may very cost inefficient, all trace effects in the corp's deck.

Option 2: Gain a delayed $3 ($4 as Kate) as if you had played an Easy Mark (Sure Gamble as Kate), while also shrinking your deck size by two.

(You can even choose an intermediate option!).

You get to effectively add some great sideboard cards into your maindeck, and then if they are not useful in the matchup, you get to take money instead!

Presumably, if you are doing this, you are also using pawnshop in other ways. Anarch's already run pawnshop to remove their Wyldside lategame. You can gain efficiency off of Bank Job and Armitage Codebusting, you can turn Sacrificial Constructs into a versatile Easy Mark, and you can even turn extra copies of Kate's new Code Gate breaker into Easy Marks! (Play it for $0, sacrifice for $3, play a new one).

The expansion added a variety of useful new trace cards, especially Draco, TMI, and Caduecus. Adding 3 link to the runner severely neuters all of these cards. I believe that 3 Rabbit Hole is a much stronger option now, going from being sometimes useful to often useful. I think that the expansion will shift the meta a bit towards decks that are capable of running 3 rabbit Hole efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:

Edit: Oh, and personally, I plan to go 2x Rabbit Hole, 2x The Helpful AI in my Anarch deck.

Might I recommend 3 Rabbit Hole 1 Helpful AI?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Giovannetti
United States
Woodinville / Bothell Area
Washington
flag msg tools
Surely if you run Rabbit you run the full playset?

I think I agree with most of these ratings. Although I think spinal modem is really really subpar in comparison to toolbox. Especially since link is now more important than ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Might I recommend 3 Rabbit Hole 1 Helpful AI?

Why? The Helpful AI is very useful in an Anarch deck. And I don't think you always need the full three Link, esp. when the initial investment is so high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I get the appeal, I just don't know if I want to commit almost half of my influence to three rabbit holes and two Aesops...

I mean the link strength will be helpful against most factions, especially NBN but I am just not convinced you NEED to go all in with every runner deck at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarSix wrote:
I get the appeal, I just don't know if I want to commit almost half of my influence to three rabbit holes and two Aesops...

...why do you need the two Aesop's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
StarSix wrote:

To trash the Rabbit Holes when you figure out they were a bad choice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
StarSix wrote:

You don't need two I suppose, but when you build part of your deck around trashing stuff you don't need, two Aesop's establishes some consistency.

Rabbit Hole and Link boosters still seem like, a luxury not a necessity.

And didn't the set only add four new cards with trace? That brings the total to roughly fifteen to twenty total cards that can trace in the game. Granted all of the new trace cards are more potent than most prior trace cards but still, it still seems like you won't be getting traced often outside of NBN and Weyland.

I can see this as a trend by the end of Genesis this may be the case that you will need to splash Rabbit Hole in every runner deck. But I really hope that isn't the case. I don't want to buy four core sets to have two competitive runner decks.

*Edit - For some grammar and sentence reformatting.*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarSix wrote:
You don't need two I suppose, but when you build part of your deck around trashing stuff you don't need, two Aesop's establishes some consistency.

Alright, that's a large assumption on your deck. I don't think most decks are built around trashing stuff you don't need.

StarSix wrote:
And didn't the set only add four new cards with trace?

Five, actually

StarSix wrote:
I can see this as a trend by the end of Genesis this may be the case that you will need to splash Rabbit Hole in every runner deck. But I really hope that isn't the case. I don't want to buy four core sets to have two competitive runner decks.

I doubt FFG will not release any new Link boosters. By the end of Genesis Runners should have several options on what to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
athedegaard wrote:

In my experience with NBN, they are usually poor, and they have trouble defending an agenda over the runners turn. Their strengths are that they have two amazing agendas in Astroscript and Breaking News, and they make a variety of trace ice much more efficient (shadow, hunter, ichi, etc).

Comparing restructured data pool to Priority Requistion, you are giving up a free rez of an Archer/Tollbooth/etc. Thats a big deal. In return, you get the ability to spend a turn tracing the runner, for trace 2, or 4 if you spend your free bits.

* If they have some link, then it is TERRIBLE in comparison to the priority req.
* Otherwise, if they feel the trace is important, they could pay money.
* Most NBN decks cant do THAT much with the tag. If you were running Scorched Earth, then breaking news was already an incredibly good way to tag the runner, its not avoidable. This one is, and it costs an action and your free bits to make it a good trace.

I honestly don't see running them over Priority Requisition in my NBN deck. I might run it over security force. But the card that NBN really really NEEDS to be decent, is another 3 cost, 2 point agenda. Then they become strong. They didnt get it.

Actually, played a few NBN versus Kate games with the WLA cards, and did drop all my PriReqs for Datapools. Went 3-0 (and Kate even had Rabbit Holes), so my initial impression is favorable.

The thing is that Datapools don't conform to the notion that NBN absolutely needs to play a fast advance game with only cheap agendas. That doesn't make Datapools bad, however. Instead, Datapools open up an alternative strategy, based on a slower control game with an at-will, proactive means of stalling/punishing the runner and building up tags for a giant Psychographics. TMI and Draco help with this playstyle greatly, giving you better ETR without needing to splash big OOF ice like Archer.

Another thing to consider: PriReq actually really sucks with both TMI and Draco. With TMI, I believe you still have to pass the trace or it derezzes (note the trace isn't an "added cost," only an effect that triggers upon rez), and with Draco, you still have to pay X to boost its strength. If you select these guys plus Tollbooth for your high-strength ETR ice, PriReq becomes pretty niche and underwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
StarSix: You don't need two I suppose, but when you build part of your deck around trashing stuff you don't need, two Aesop's establishes some consistency.

Let me clarify. One of the strengths of Aesop's is its ability to trash a card that is bad in your match up for some cash or to stretch the value of a card like Armitage... or to turn off Wyldside. The cards main use is turning something you either don't need or no longer need into something you can use (credits). That was what I meant when I said "trash things you don't need". Although I think most of the time you don't NEED link you will usually at least want the option, hence the popularity of rabbit holes and aesop's.

What you said above is probably true, I hope all factions have some way of boosting link outside of CtG or splashing Shaper, but that seems like the direction it could very well go. I fear this mostly because I don't always want 5 points worth of influence to go towards that combo just for the sake of build diversity in the meta.

Good insights though, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

I playtested various cards yesterday, and here were my findings:

ZU.13 Key Master:

AMAZING! In the right deck, this is a 0 MU Gordian Blade, that is $1 worse to break things, but $3 cheaper. The 0MU is what makes it awesome, as it allows you to cut mem chips from your deck and/or play more programs like Medium or Sneakdoor beta or Parasites.

Additionally, the fact that extra copies play for $0 for Kate, and then get eaten by Pawnshop, means that this card is the best Easy Mark of all time. I am in love with this card. Its the best runner card in the expansion, and it gave Kate a free memory slot, while also improving her early game in cases where she can't draw Magnum Opus and has trouble playing out cards.

Peacock:

Its only really worse against Enigma. So if you're willing to pay a little more on Enigma, you now don't have to spend influence on a code gate breaker in Criminal. Thats pretty relevant.

Imp:

I had trouble fitting everything into Anarch decks already, now its even harder! It feels like if you have some viruses out when you play this, you then simply get wrecked by a virus purge, though at least it milled the opponent for 1 with the noise ability, and gives you 3 credits from pawnshop. It seems good but you really have to be careful with timing. Try to use it the turn you play it. It also makes Djinn even more important for memory in Anarch.

TMI:

Really disappointing. You're poor NBN. If the runner has $5, you just cant count on this card. You pay $3 to res it, they pay $4 and run through and you're losing that trade. If they have link its just dead. Who doesnt run with a few credits available?

Janus:

Surprisingly strong. They get through it once and eat a couple damage, then it just shuts the fort down super hard. When it came up in the midgame, for free, it practically won the game. When it came up late it was like: okay, you can afford ONE more try to get an agenda, ever, better score one!

Draco:

Rocked in NBN, especially behind a Chum! Was okay in Weyland, but I felt like it just gets wrecked hard in Weyland by any link cards. If you're super rich I'd rather troubleshoot an Archer. Weyland already uses a couple link cards like Shadow and Data Raven, adding this in too just makes you so vulnerable to link.

Project Atlas:

Yep, its insane. Only once did I actually extra-advance it. Its insane simply because Weyland can now do what NBN and HB did: play a card face down, and then score a 2 point agenda next turn. It turns all plays into potential agenda threats, which is really strong. It makes a non-advance trap card like Snare or Corporate Troubleshooter(behind a nasty ice) even more powerful. I've already lost to a Weyland Snare twice now in like 8 games. Snare behind a Data Raven to provide the 2nd tag (probably the Snare was in hand or near the top of R&D when I maker's eye'd it), followed by a Scorched Earth. And this combo kills through Plascrete with two scorched earths!

Mandatory Upgrades:

We played 4 games of Kate vs HB with this agenda replacing the Private Security Forces. It got scored one time and won the game. Several other times it was hard to score and got stolen, a couple of those the security force couldve been scored with a Biotic/SanSan.

This card is just REALLY bad late game. When you have 5 points and need to draw an agenda, and have 2 biotics or biotic/sansan, you do NOT want this. Its good early IF you can score it, but 6 is actually a lot harder to score than 5.

On the plus side, it makes your Aggressive Secretaries better. I think its best in non-fast advance HB, that defends and uses traps, not in a SanSan HB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.