Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Can someone make a recommendation? Traveling from Seattle and want to find agood place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking to shop or play, or both?

ETA: The Portland Guild has a good list of weekly gaming events and stores
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/60
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Guardian Games, close to the center of town.

www.ggportland.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really depends on what area of town you'll be heading to but Guardian Games is good stuff as are Red Castle and Cloud Cap. My closest local shop down here in Wilsonville is Hobbytown USA and the owner is a big game guy and has a solid selection. When a buddy got many of his games stolen out of his car the owner Jesse let him replace a lot for cost. That is the epitome of "F" in friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parroting what others are saying -- it depends on where, in Portland, you'll be.

But if you're looking for more than your average game store ...

... I absolutely adore Guardian Games. Licensed play area (which is nice when you want to play with just adults), added bonus in that they have Guinness available, and a very solid library of games to play.

Pretty much everything you're looking for in your gaming experience can be had at Guardian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to be in the west suburbs, I would highly recommend stopping at Rainy Day Games:
http://www.rainy-day-games.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Rainy Day Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge supporter of Guardian Games (plus until the 31st you can get 30% off basically anything in the store - end of the year Inventory Reduction Sale). I live on the east side, so I've only been to Rainy Day Games once, but it was quite a pleasant experience as well. Portland is really a great town when it comes to boardgaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stanfill
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My faves are Cloud Cap Games, Guardian Games, Bridgetown Hobbies & Rainy Day Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardian Games is great - they've got the best inventory in town. If you're looking for pick up games, the Guardian crowd can be a little ... specific (read: CCG obsessed).

Cloud Cap has become my favorite for actually playing. It's a friendly crowd with a focus on Euros, family games and on newly released games.

I've also been to Red Castle and Rainy Day - both are very friendly with a good stock of popular games.

Each of these is in a completely different part of town. Portland is more a composite of communities than it is a big city. These aren't suburbs in the traditional sense, but actually distinct communities within the Portland greater metropolis (actually all of these are pretty close in driving distance to downtown with Guardian being the closest).

I'm sure whichever one you wind up at will work out great.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! We ended up at Guardian Games where not only was there a large selection of games, but as we discovered, a big reduction sale. It was only 20% while we were there, but went to 30% the next day. We ended up getting out of there for $170. Also, the staff there were exceptionally helpful, going out of there way to look things up for us. I'd definitly go back there again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from the Twin Cities where we have a gobload of game shops. I travel a ton, and always make an effort to stop into local shops to see the vibe/scene of the town I'm in. When I visited Portland I stopped by here and they were throwing a 21+ "beer/pizza/games" night that made us tempted to stick around instead of going about our touristy plans because the energy was so cool.

We plan to come back into town this year for Rose Fest, and you can bet we'll be stopping by there again to say hi. Great gang of people, and one of my favorite game shops in the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Space Alert in the used section at Guardian Games when it was damn near impossible to find (this last August). My wife and I were visiting Portland and Seattle for a week and I just happened to hit up Guardian on the day that someone had traded off their copy of the game to the store. Half the staff and random passerby's all told me just how lucky I was to find it. It was at that point when I fell in with love the place meeple

Can't wait to go back when I move there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
I found Space Alert in the used section at Guardian Games when it was damn near impossible to find (this last August).

I suppose I should have mentioned that we too found an "impossible" to find game at Guardian. We've been hunting for The Kids of Catan for our now four year old for a while. For a while it seemed a used copy from the UK was about our only hope. Now that I've just looked it up on BGG as part of writing this, I see there are several US copies in the marketplace. Anyway...found it new at Guardian Games. Woo-hoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls