Popular Tags: [View All]
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PARANOIA - MISSION 8: Back to the RAD Sector! (10/30)
i came close to winning last game(with LOTS of help) and never used my telepath power once. of course i got really lucky with my early allies, finding my tele twin. But he and i both never used to telepath abilities. and he did win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
miraria wrote:
i came close to winning last game(with LOTS of help) and never used my telepath power once. of course i got really lucky with my early allies, finding my tele twin. But he and i both never used to telepath abilities. and he did win.

That implies that, at least for the two of you, the SCAN power is weaker than simply shooting, and with a red laser, no less. Which says that it is pretty weak, and needs changing.

I'd like to suggest, though, that that is partly due to the way you play - a player who refuses to lie, or plays mostly honest and straightforward with perhaps a few white lies will find very little utility in the SCAN power, unless they get lucky and confirm an Ally with it. SCAN is only powerful if the user is willing to go to their target and pretend to be allied, and is able to do so in a way that is convincing. However, this community has shown itself to be strongly against any kind of lasting deception.

I would argue, then, that it is more the way that the community punishes dishonesty in the meta-game that makes SCAN worthless, rather than an inherent weakness in the power itself. This not a complaint, but simply an observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
One more comment - the fact that those who SCAN appear to take no action makes it much harder to convince their target that they are not lying. I glossed over this in my commentary above, but that is certainly a weakness if you attempt to use it deviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
JAM-R-GAR-2 reporting for annihilation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the telepath I was a telepath in my only game and scanned once. It isn't a super strong power because it does take an action, but I think that's not necessarily a problem. Telepath a can shoot 90% of the time and rarely scan, but a single scan can be hugely useful (if also putting a target in their heads). In my game it exposed the fact my society was being set up and run by someone lying about their allegiance (though bwt actually did more to organise us than anyone else). I get that it can screw over the scanned person and I get that it's utility doesn't match some other roles in the game. But that's the point of paranoia. It's hard to win. A lot of the time you die despite playing the best you could AND some roles (soldier, mutant) are stronger than others (tele, commie, intsec).

It's supposed to be an unfair bloodbath where you have to be both lucky and skilful to survive but that's the whole point of the game.

At present the tele isn't super strong and their power is rarely used and when used can take down whoever is targeted - depending on the circumstances.

That's perfect - leave it I say! In a world surrounded by commie traitors fairness is not a luxury we can afford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And no it would not be deliciously ironic to vapourize me on d1 for saying this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEER-R-EEA-2 reporting for love of friend computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acekim
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miraria wrote:

I actually did scan once, which was of limited benefit. I would have preferred to shoot but was traveling and wasn't reliable around lynch. At least I didn't have to deal with my last allies wondering if I were an INTSEC (but I think they would have believed me even if I never scanned).

bwt2q wrote:
I would argue, then, that it is more the way that the community punishes dishonesty in the meta-game that makes SCAN worthless, rather than an inherent weakness in the power itself. This not a complaint, but simply an observation.

I've been a telepath 3 out of 5 games so know the role pretty well. I believe I'm the 3rd winner coming out of that role, Threnody P1 and Bwt P2. With the small sample size caveat, soldiers win more often, commies less.

The value of the role has changed over time. I recall that my first games were REALLY paranoia inducing when both info and trust were each harder to come by. People held their cards much closer to the vest. Those games were fun of a different flavor, and SCANs were much more illuminating.

The current tenor of the game-- as bwt says--is MUCH more honest than before. Fewer lies, and looser with claims. When you combine this with communication by chatroom (as opposed to PM) - info disseminates ridiculously quickly and shots get organized more efficiently. One doesn't need scans to be an information broker.

Like Bwt, this is not a complaint, I've enjoyed the recent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acekim
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friend computer wrote:
Right now, SCANning almost always gives Telepaths away, since there are few powers that have no visible action, so there's a big target on your back.

Another solution is to have powers for other roles that also have no visible action and are attractive to use early. More hiding places than spreading Communist propaganda.

friend computer wrote:
Also, you now have all the information of another player, and that information will be leaked to the people who are not on player X's team. Player X is now almost guaranteed not to survive to the end.

There was the time Tele viewed Tele who viewed another Tele D1, and yet all three of us still lost the game. Ah memories shake

bwt2q wrote:
I don't like the DEF-SCAN and BARRIER ideas above for this reason - it makes them too much like the mutants.

Well, a telepath is a type of mutant. I think a well-timed duck with a DEF-SCAN is cool and still consistent.

friend computer wrote:
Telepaths could be given one, several, or none of these. If you have other ideas, I'd like to hear them. If you think we should leave Telepaths alone, I'd like to hear that. If you think they need a change, but you're not sure what, chime in with your thoughts.

I'm in all likelihood sitting out this round (bad timing) but would be in favor of y'all playtesting some of these ideas, just to shake things up. Don't know if that vote should count if I'm not playing though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PARANOIA - MISSION 8: Back to the RAD Sector! (15/30)
acekim wrote:
friend computer wrote:
Right now, SCANning almost always gives Telepaths away, since there are few powers that have no visible action, so there's a big target on your back.

Another solution is to have powers for other roles that also have no visible action and are attractive to use early. More hiding places than spreading Communist propaganda.

friend computer wrote:
Also, you now have all the information of another player, and that information will be leaked to the people who are not on player X's team. Player X is now almost guaranteed not to survive to the end.

There was the time Tele viewed Tele who viewed another Tele D1, and yet all three of us still lost the game. Ah memories shake

bwt2q wrote:
I don't like the DEF-SCAN and BARRIER ideas above for this reason - it makes them too much like the mutants.

Well, a telepath is a type of mutant. I think a well-timed duck with a DEF-SCAN is cool and still consistent.

friend computer wrote:
Telepaths could be given one, several, or none of these. If you have other ideas, I'd like to hear them. If you think we should leave Telepaths alone, I'd like to hear that. If you think they need a change, but you're not sure what, chime in with your thoughts.

I'm in all likelihood sitting out this round (bad timing) but would be in favor of y'all playtesting some of these ideas, just to shake things up. Don't know if that vote should count if I'm not playing though.

I think your vote should totally count. You're a vet of the series and we need (desperately) some wisdom from veterans. #getoffmylawn

I will echo that I don't think Telepaths are broken as they were but I could definitely get behind a different kind of power or set of powers. I have no idea how the Computer's suggestions will balance out but I'm a huge fan of trying things out and then assessing. I will say that Commies are also in the same boat as Telepaths (kind of conspicuous and with no direct effect on things except by SHOOTing) but with far less information, so if we're gonna alter the Telepaths, we should take a look at the Commies too. I realize that they can swell their ranks but it's such a crap shoot that it's gotta be way harder to win as a Commie than to win as a Telepath (as evidenced by the winning Telepaths and the lack of winning Commies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gdapkus did win as a commie but he's a special case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
greek2me wrote:
we need (desperately) some wisdom from veterans.

... says the veteran.

Reminds me of the T-shirt that says "Of course I talk to myself - sometimes I need expert advice".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

In my opinion, commie is the weakest role by far. If anything needed changing, I'd give the Commie player some way of reducing the potential herd of recruits.

Given the "broken" nature of many of the powers, I think it's good as is, overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwt2q wrote:
greek2me wrote:
we need (desperately) some wisdom from veterans.

... says the veteran.

Reminds me of the T-shirt that says "Of course I talk to myself - sometimes I need expert advice".

Haha. Well, y'know. I do like expert advice. That's why I'm glad you're chiming in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acekim
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:

In my opinion, commie is the weakest role by far. If anything needed changing, I'd give the Commie player some way of reducing the potential herd of recruits.

There are ways - infiltrate the telepaths, use their information, pray you don't get scanned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Crow-R-RBT-1 signing in.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting into!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh fine.

STAT-O-SIG 4 reporting for vaporization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
Re: PARANOIA - MISSION 8: Back to the RAD Sector! (17/30)
The fly-bots are scheduled for departure next weekcycle. All Citizens wishing to serve for the glory of The Alpha Complex must register before that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
After some consideration, I'll be implementing the following changes for this Mission:

-----------------------------------------
TELEPATHS

In addition to their regular SCAN, which will remain unchanged, each telepath will be assigned one of the two new OPG powers, FINDAFRIEND or GROUPTHINK:

FINDAFRIEND: Submit a list of 3 names. You will be told the name of 1 person on that list that you can win with, chosen randomly. If you cannot win with any of them, you will be told that. IntSecs return as allies. You may not SHOOT on the same round that you use FINDAFRIEND.

GROUPTHINK: Fire your weapon as normal. You will be told how many people you can win with out of the players who fired at the same target you did. IntSecs return as allies.
------------------------------------------
VANILLAS

R&D has come up with 2 new devices to be tested in the field. Of course, they have been proven to be 100% safe and effective in the lab, and there is no chance at all that they would even slightly malfunction in a highly radioactive area.

FINDATRAITOR 0.9: Submit 2 names. You will be told the name of 1 person on the list who you can not win with. If you can win with both of them, you will be told that. IntSecs return as allies. May be used up to 3 times.

AUTO-RELOADER: The slightly bulkier base of the gun houses an automatized mechanism that will automatically reload the weapon if it de-charges. Your gun will never sound the klaxon as it is reloaded before the de-charge alarm is triggered.
-------------------------------------------
COMMIES

Targets are no longer told who used PROPAGANDA on them if the attempt fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do IntSecs affect FindAFriend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ziilch wrote:
How do IntSecs affect FindAFriend?

IntSecs always appear as friendlies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSparky wrote:
The fly-bots are scheduled for departure next weekcycle. All Citizens wishing to serve for the glory of The Alpha Complex must register before that time.

I'm about to wet my jumpsuit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
TheSparky wrote:

I'm about to wet my jumpsuit.

Friend Computer has a Fizzy Cola flavor for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
Friend Computer, would I be incorrect in thinking that I am to be known as Blue-R-QTE-3 for this mission? Or am I incorrect in thinking that I've done this twice previously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.