BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Toys for Thought FLGS = Awesome! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harry Mac
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just stepped into Toys For Thought in Lakewood NJ, first time in a while and holy cow, what a difference!
They just did some crazy expansion and now their board game section is at least 4-5 times its previous size. The prices have always been pretty reasonable for a FLGS but the selection used to be a bit limited, but now with the expanded area it looks like they took the opportunity to stock it with pretty much every popular (and plenty of other) board games out there. Mike, the manager is awesome as always and spent quite a bit of time with me explaining rules and discussing games. He managed to talk me into Space Cadets (like I really needed any convincing on that one ) and a couple of smaller games to play with the kids.
I don't know why the store doesn't get discussed more often on BGG (the online store does get mentioned often for their closeouts) So I figure, either NJ doesn't have too many gamers (which I doubt) or people are just unaware of its existence. whatever the reason, if you live nearby or traveling through Jersey, it's definitely worth a visit. Done raving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. My in-laws live thereabouts so next we're up, we'll check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to visit the brick and mortar version of Toys for Thought. Though I'd likely end up driving away with a car full of games and how would I explain that to the border guards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
stinkoman wrote:
I'd love to visit the brick and mortar version of Toys for Thought. Though I'd likely end up driving away with a car full of games and how would I explain that to the border guards

As long as it's under the allotted amount, they just look at you funny. Especially when you show them a couple of things in the box.

I may or may not have combined on a large order (someone cleaning out his collection) and taken $275 worth of 30 or so used games back across the border on one of my last trips to Canada.... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Great store. Mike's a good guy who really wants to know his customers. My parents live right by there, and I try to stop in (even when I'm on a buying hiatus) to pick up at the very least a small game. He'll also special order anything for you - he made sure I got the Dixit Dragon promo, and even offered a few others for free with my purchase (I already had them, so there are possibly a few Dixit promos still sitting in central Jersey).

It's definitely a store that makes you want to support it, so stop by!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls