Popular Tags: frankfurt [+] game_store [+] [View All]
Scott Irwin
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping that someone can help me out.

I have a few hours in Frankfurt on my way home and was wondering if anyone has information on game stores there, near the airport.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I'm in Frankfurt, I visit the two large department stores on the Zeil (the main shopping street), Karstadt and Galleria Kaufhof. They stock a wide selection of current games, but I mainly shop there because they usually have games on sale. I was recently there a couple of weeks ago and picked up Settlers of the Stone Age and another copy of Dschunke for 10 Euros each, along with a few other smaller games for 3 or 5 Euros. The selection of bargain games was smaller this time, but I suspect that was because it was the shopping period before Christmas.

There are a couple of other games shops either along the Zeil or on a street perpendicular to it - do a search of the forums on BGG for past threads where they are mentioned.

The S8 and S9 will bring you from the airport to the main train station in Frankfurt (which is fairly close - just 2 stops), from which you can switch to antoher subway train that can bring you to the Zeil. Or you could even walk from the train station, if you have more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Parker
United Kingdom
Newbury
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Can't help with shops selling heavy-weight games but almost everywhere sells games. There's a chain called Muellers that's a bit like Woolworths that seems to carry a good range. Certainly the one in Bad Homberg did and that's less than 30 minutes from Frankfurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatthiasC
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
The S8 and S9 will bring you from the airport to the main train station in Frankfurt (which is fairly close - just 2 stops), from which you can switch to antoher subway train that can bring you to the Zeil.
You don't have to change trains at the main train station. Simply stay on the S8 or S9, as both go to "Hauptwache" and "Konstablerwache", stations on the Zeil close to the Kaufhof store(Hauptwache) or to the Karstadt store.

Next to Kaufhof there is a store called "Les facettes", also called "Zeilgalerie", where you can find some games at "Gamer's Paradise" on the 6th floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction, Matthias.

I realise now I had mentioned stopping at the train station only because I happended to do it the last time I was there to stop off at my hotel first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatthiasC
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I realise now I had mentioned stopping at the train station only because I happended to do it the last time I was there to stop off at my hotel first.
So how about dropping by for a game or two the next time you are in Frankfurt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to, as long as it doesn't eat into time for shopping for games!laugh

Don't know when I'll next be there though.goo

Might as well take the opportunity to ask you, a native: are there any other department stores in Frankfurt that often have games on sale? Is there a specific time of the year when they clear their stock of older games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Irwin
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!!...Thanks for the info. Now as long as I don't miss my flight out.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls