United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Chicago Blackhawks fan
Per a post on the Pandemic Facebook page:

Quote:
It has been brought to our attention that there has been an error with some of the boards of the new edition of Pandemic. In some cases, the connection between Lagos and Sao Paulo is missing on the new boards.

We are terribly sorry about this situation and we want to fix this as best and as fast as we can.

If you notice that your board is missing this connection, please contact csr@zmangames.com with your proof of purchase, address and phone number. We will supply you with a replacement board free of charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Microbadge: I am a Live Action Spam HunterMicrobadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Thumbs up says 'I Love You' in that icky BGG kinda way.Microbadge: Chaotic GoodMicrobadge: I love Europe
Good for them.

No matter what you think of the new edition - good for them.

I'm not going to buy the new edition but if I was on the fence this public statement would make me more likely to back them - good for them.

This is the act of a responsible and respectable board game company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
ChiGuy wrote:

Quote:
It has been brought to our attention that there has been an error with some of the boards of the new edition of Pandemic. In some cases, the connection between Lagos and Sao Paulo is missing on the new boards.

We are terribly sorry about this situation and we want to fix this as best and as fast as we can.

If you notice that your board is missing this connection, please contact csr@zmangames.com with your proof of purchase, address and phone number. We will supply you with a replacement board free of charge.
Sounds like karma to me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I Love WinterMicrobadge: Walking in a Winter WonderlandMicrobadge: I love snowmenMicrobadge: Polar Bear loverMicrobadge: Frozen fan
I just bought one today that has the bum board. I sent an email about replacement, so we'll see how they do.

This was on my buy list for a while and I almost pulled the trigger at Christmas before I knew about the new edition. While I think I would have preferred the art on that one, at least with this one I won't have to get the compatibility add-on for the future expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuven Fischer
United States
Bala Cynwyd
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Phish fanMicrobadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Grateful Dead fan
I got a bum board too :-(

email sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kangyu Chia
Singapore
Varsity Park Condominium
flag msg tools
badge
Ouch.
Microbadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a Geek
zanti_misfit wrote:
ChiGuy wrote:

Quote:

Karma for...? Updating the graphics of their game and releasing compatibility packs to ensure backwards compatibility for owners of old editions? Or designing a new edition that you didn't like the looks of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Platinum Folding@Home donatorMicrobadge: I play with black!Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
cky88 wrote:
zanti_misfit wrote:
ChiGuy wrote:

Quote:

Karma for...? Updating the graphics of their game and releasing compatibility packs to ensure backwards compatibility for owners of old editions? Or designing a new edition that you didn't like the looks of?
... for releasing an expansion that people have been waiting for but isn't compatible with their copies. You know, all those people who made the game such a success's copies. And don't for an instant think that the compatibility packs aren't just so they can make even more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
Microbadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Disney fanMicrobadge: I pimp my gamesMicrobadge: TexasMicrobadge: Ukulele fan
I'm betting Target had more to do with the redesign than looking for money.

(As in I bet they said "Change the cover or else we will stop selling it.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Platinum Folding@Home donatorMicrobadge: I play with black!Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
millercv wrote:

Why would anyone who makes decisions at Target care about the box art to this one game enough to demand not only a new box art, but are complete reworking of all of the art in the entire game, rendering older versions incompatible with the brand new expansion that is about to come out? I guess the people at Target also hate Toronto too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
cky88 wrote:
zanti_misfit wrote:
ChiGuy wrote:

Quote:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/915816/compatibility-pac...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
millercv wrote:

Target didn't have a thing to do with Zman changing the card backs used in the new version which is a key issue. They could have upgraded the overall look without doing that one tiny little thing..but why oh why do you ask?

That little move insured 5 years worth of supporters who might want to play the newest expansion would have to buy expansion packs to do so. Greedy little imps.

I am no longer a Zman customer because of it. I'm not a fan of that kind of design decision. No worries though, plenty of other kick ass games out there to enjoy and support. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ras2124 wrote:
cky88 wrote:
zanti_misfit wrote:
ChiGuy wrote:

Quote:

... for releasing an expansion that people have been waiting for but isn't compatible with their copies. You know, all those people who made the game such a success's copies. And don't for an instant think that the compatibility packs aren't just so they can make even more money.
that sounds rather funny to me. i don't think all those buyers of the old copy made the game such a success, but the design of the game itself did. you bought the old copy because you like the game right, not because of for other sentimental reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Uh yeah, the design turned out to be entertaining and people bought it, and then the word spread and more people bought it. The design didn't post any links or create any reviews, people did.

The forum itself is made up of both buyers and supporters, with those purchases funding Zman in the process. When the good word spead by those customers get more people interested they might buy a copy too. People come here and ask about the game and people pass on info, sometimes they go buy it based on that sharing of experiences. It takes two to tango. Without supporters a game could be the best in the world yet go nowhere.

"Funny" how little value you seem to place on us. Perhaps that's the same way Zman views the little people like us too. Their latest design choice tends to support the speculation. The term "use 'em up and spit 'em out" in full effect. har har har
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kangyu Chia
Singapore
Varsity Park Condominium
flag msg tools
badge
Ouch.
Microbadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a Geek
zanti_misfit wrote:
Uh yeah, the design turned out to be entertaining and people bought it, and then the word spread and more people bought it. The design didn't post any links or create any reviews, people did.

The forum itself is made up of both buyers and supporters, with those purchases funding Zman in the process. When the good word spead by those customers get more people interested they might buy a copy too. People come here and ask about the game and people pass on info, sometimes they go buy it based on that sharing of experiences. It takes two to tango. Without supporters a game could be the best in the world yet go nowhere.

"Funny" how little value you seem to place on us. Perhaps that's the same way Zman views the little people like us too. Their latest design choice tends to support the speculation. The term "use 'em up and spit 'em out" in full effect. har har har
So you bought the game, so maybe you contributed to its popularity. Maybe Wil Wheaton did.. And not you? But why does it matter? Even if the entire popularity of the game was due to you, Z-man doesn't owe you anything to keep things the same. If they have a good business opportunity to take sales to the mainstream market with a graphic overhaul, why shouldn't they? Would you?

I think releasing the compatibility packs are a good way to appease gamers of the old version - but I guess not. Speculation about Z-man using the compatibility packs as some evil scheme to make more money is just far-fetched. They could always not release compatibility packs and force everyone to buy the new versions!

Besides, we don't even know how much the compatibility packs will be. If they were released on the BGG store for $5, would you still be whining?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zanti_misfit wrote:

because you only think about yourself? seeing things from your point of view only and not zman's?

i believe it's business decision. why would you not want them to make more money? it's good for them and good for the company. in the long run help the company survives. have seen quite a few publishers gone astray.

and releasing a compatibility pack is a sign of support for the old pandemic owners, unlike the term you said use 'em spit 'em thing..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
"Z-man doesn't owe you anything to keep things the same."

haha now that is funny.

"If they have a good business opportunity to take sales to the mainstream market with a graphic overhaul, why shouldn't they? Would you?"

The downgraded graphics (sorry had to say it) could still have been accomplished without changing the actual card backs. That would have kept both the older and newer versions compatible, minus a few extra roles and stuff added in. Poor design choice imo.

No I wouldn't have handled it this way, sorry.

"Speculation about Z-man using the compatibility packs as some evil scheme to make more money is just far-fetched."

In today's world? I want some of what you seem to be smokin'. haha

"They could always not release compatibility packs and force everyone to buy the new versions!"

"Force"? Haha oh I'm sure that discussed that very idea, probably considered doing that too.

"Besides, we don't even know how much the compatibility packs will be."

Doesn't matter, I'm not buying.

"If they were released on the BGG store for $5, would you still be whining?"

Still not worth it but yeah, I think so as I tend to enjoy this kind of thing. Don't you? kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
rbayu2 wrote:
because you only think about yourself? seeing things from your point of view only and not zman's?

i believe it's business decision. why would you not want them to make more money? it's good for them and good for the company. in the long run help the company survives. have seen quite a few publishers gone astray.

and releasing a compatibility pack is a sign of support for the old pandemic owners, unlike the term you said use 'em spit 'em thing..
Only thinking of myself? hmm ok?

You can spin this anyway you like. Buy it up, enjoy it, support their approach. Nobody's stopping you.

But if you think there aren't also going to be people that don't like how they've handled this well, perhaps fantasy and reality have blurred a bit for you. Don't worry though, we'll get through this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
Microbadge: LemonMicrobadge: CherryMicrobadge: SevenMicrobadge: OrangeMicrobadge: Watermelon
These kinds of mistakes seem quite common with Pandemic :) I remember when the first version was out, there was a mess with cards (some lacked, some doubled), but also on that occasion the company sent replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monkeyhandz wrote:
Good for them.

No matter what you think of the new edition - good for them.

I'm not going to buy the new edition but if I was on the fence this public statement would make me more likely to back them - good for them.

This is the act of a responsible and respectable board game company.
Right.

Ignoring previous owners of the game is very responsible and respectable. Sounds like they bitch-slapped pretty much all of the owners of the older version. It's really a non-issue to me because the game is not that good and I'm not buying, but seriously? I'm from the government and I'm here to complain.

How much did they pay you to post that? Everyone knows you admins get kickbacks...fess up.

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Altiplano fanMicrobadge: The Estates fanMicrobadge: Alchemists fanMicrobadge: Food Chain Magnate fanMicrobadge: Brass: Birmingham fan
If they were ignoring previous owners, they would not make compatability packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Guardians Chronicles fanMicrobadge: Warhammer 40,000: Heroes of Black Reach fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan
I'm not sure how i feel about the update to pandemic..

personally if it ain't broken don't fix it.
Don't see why there is a whole new game coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
ipgyst wrote:
Oh you're right, they aren't ignoring previous owners...they are trying to "Milk the Cash" from them. Thank you and good night. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
ipgyst wrote:
When the first expansion came out, the cardstock was different so they provided everyone who had the old cardstock with the new cards for free. In effect, this replacement was basically equivalent to compatibility pack #1. Now they have changed the cards again (by choice) and requiring previous owners to purchase (both) compatibility packs which are again, basically a deck of cards (maybe a couple of pawns if we are lucky).

These packs cost them next to nothing to make since they are already making those decks to go in the new versions of the game, and by selling them, they are making lots of extra profit. Compare this to the scenario where they didn't change the cards and the expansion was compatible. In this scenario there is no extra profit from the upgrade packs.

Plus if they didn't have the packs, they would lose a lot of expansion sells. I promise you, these packs are for their benefit, not yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hice
United States
Lake in the Hills
IL
flag msg tools
Microbadge: School TeacherMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: CatholicMicrobadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: Archipelago fan
Every time there is this discussion ( and it is often), I feel like I or everyone else in the world do not understand a capitalistic market. Probably me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
gibsonc22 wrote:
Every time there is this discussion ( and it is often), I feel like I or everyone else in the world do not understand a capitalistic market. Probably me.
You probably understand it just fine, but this isn't a discussion about whether the decision helps the company, it is about how we are getting screwed over. Therefore I think it is BGG that you don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |