Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Game stores in Dallas carrying good selection of wargames - recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Estrada
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be visiting Plano, north of Dallas this coming weekend and was wondering if there were any good game shops that stocked meaty wargames that people can recommend?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be one in Vally View Center in North Dallas, but I'm not sure it's there anymore. I can't recall the name, but nothing on the current directory looks familiar. They had a good selection of games and puzzles, including a bunch of wargames (I recall Avalanche and some GMT games). It was by Sears near the military recruiting offices.

Lone Star Comics has a Plano store. They carry some games and wargames, but it is hit or miss on what's there. http://www.mycomicshop.com/ourstores/plano

There is a Games Workshop store in Grapevine Mills that carrys GW stuff. There may also be a store at Grapevine Mills that carries boardgames (It's an outlet mall, so the stores come and go), but I don't recall a huge selection of wargames. http://www.simon.com/mall/grapevine-mills/stores/games-works...

Texas Toy Soldier can be a bit hard to find -- it's tucked away in a business park. They carry some minis and rules, but I don't recall boardgames. http://texastoysoldier.com/

Reaper Miniatures is in Denton County. I think they have painting sessions on Saturdays, but I'm not sure if they sell retail there at other times. I assume it's just minis and rules. http://www.reapermini.com/

Of course Barnes & Noble sells some boardgames like Axis & Allies.

As far as I know, it's a bit slim pickings on wargames around here. Maybe someone will chime in with something I don't know. Good luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sheasby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Madness Games and Comics
Pedro,

If you are going to be in Plano, allow me to suggest Madness Games and Comics.

http://www.madnessgames.com/Madness.html

The store is located at the southeast corner of Parker Rd. and Custer Rd. It's in the same shopping center as a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Madness has a pretty decent wargame selection (in addition to having one of the largest game selections in North Texas.) It's been slowly growing as the local wargame crowd games at the store.

Here's a pointer to the BGG Guild for Madness Games.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/864

If you are coming in this weekend, here's a pointer to the local wargaming group - the North Texas Gamers. Our next session is this coming Saturday at Madness Games. Some links for the NTG:

https://sites.google.com/site/friscolibraryboardgamers/
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/878

We will be gaming all day at Madness this Saturday!


Steven
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Esparza
msg tools
I think the store at Valley View was/is called game-chest, gamers-chest, something like that.
Anybody remember Armadillo Soldier Shop (North Town Mall?) or Games from the Otters Den (On Mockingbird, across the street from the Dr. Pepper plant)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sheasby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Chest was in Valley View mall. It's been closed for at least two years.

Madness Games was a destination for some of the GC's inventory!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ssheasby wrote:
Pedro,

If you are going to be in Plano, allow me to suggest Madness Games and Comics.

http://www.madnessgames.com/Madness.html

The store is located at the southeast corner of Parker Rd. and Custer Rd. It's in the same shopping center as a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Madness has a pretty decent wargame selection (in addition to having one of the largest game selections in North Texas.) It's been slowly growing as the local wargame crowd games at the store.

Here's a pointer to the BGG Guild for Madness Games.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/864

If you are coming in this weekend, here's a pointer to the local wargaming group - the North Texas Gamers. Our next session is this coming Saturday at Madness Games. Some links for the NTG:

https://sites.google.com/site/friscolibraryboardgamers/
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/878

We will be gaming all day at Madness this Saturday!


Steven

Pedro, I second everything Steven said. We will be at Madness Games & Comics this Saturday. Steven has already provided the link in his comment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you'd think a metropolitan area of 1.2+ million people could support more than one good game store (and that one being in a corner of the area instead of more toward the middle).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:


There is a Games Workshop store in Grapevine Mills that carrys GW stuff. There may also be a store at Grapevine Mills that carries boardgames (It's an outlet mall, so the stores come and go), but I don't recall a huge selection of wargames. http://www.simon.com/mall/grapevine-mills/stores/games-works...


The other store carries a very limited selection of games, mainly mainstream games like Life/Monopoly, etc, and some of the popular games like Catan, Fluxx and the like.

There is also Area 51http://www.area51gac.com/ in Grapevine, that has some tables for wargames, but their selection is not great.

There is also Generation X in Euless, smallish store, but not sure what their selection is like.

http://www.wargames.com/store/1070/bedford/generation-x-comi...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find any, please add them here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/66996/the-war-game-flg...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:
Wow, you'd think a metropolitan area of 1.2+ million people could support more than one good game store (and that one being in a corner of the area instead of more toward the middle).

I would be happy to support more stores if they existed.
But nothing in the area even begins to compare with Madness.
Maybe nothing in the state.

There is also Roll2Play games in Coppell. Don't know how many wargames
they have but they do make a good showing at local conventions.

And there is a store somewhere in Ft. Worth selling wargames (I
don't know if it still open. Y 2 K Comics.

As for your recommendations, I'm sorry but none of them are worth
considering. The Game Chest in Valley View closed almost 2 years
ago, and interestingly Madness bought their remaining stock.
He asked for meaty wargames. Not miniatures & rules.
(There is a store on Spring Valley that has miniatures. Maybe as good
Madness, but I haven't been there.) The other stores might have
a small number of eurogames, but that is not what the OP asked for.

And as for being in a corner of the area, There are a lot of good
gamers scattered around the Metroplex, but the OP asked for stores
near Plano. I would think the best place for being central to
there would be, I don't know, Plano?

Finally if the OP stays more than one weekend and wants wargames
he could do worse than see the Dallas Game Marathon. Feb 15th-17th.
Or is he is here this Thursday, the DGM runs games every Thursday.
(About a mile east of Madness.)

John

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Madness is by far the best game store I've ever set foot in. It's worth the trip.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
He asked for meaty wargames. Not miniatures & rules.

Wow, I thought I made it real clear what I was describing, but silly me to try and at least offer some suggestions when as far as I knew, none really existed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent W T
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I bought my copy of

Germantown


and also Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery


and best of all Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage


at Madness, right there in Plano. Come by and say hello on Saturday; Misters Sheasby, Boone, and I will be over in the annex in the morning and early afternoon playing

Maria


and Conquest of the Empire.


Madness Games and Comics, 3000 Custer Road, Suite #150, Plano TX.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Estrada
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I will try to check out Madness Games while I'm there... hopefully I can swing by on Saturday and meet some fellow BGG'ers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the Eighties, there was a community college in North Dallas (Richland CC, I believe) which had a great community of gamers meet there during the week.

RPGs, miniatures, board games of all stripes, as I recall.

I have some very fond memories...any chance this is still happening?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sokadr wrote:
Back in the Eighties, there was a community college in North Dallas (Richland CC, I believe) which had a great community of gamers meet there during the week.

RPGs, miniatures, board games of all stripes, as I recall.

I have some very fond memories...any chance this is still happening?

I remember that group as well.

That group eventually morphed into the Dallas Gamers. We had some
bad luck with the locations we met in and mostly it continues
with the Dallas Gaming Marathon folks, meeting Thursdays, and
one weekend a month, in Plano, plus the Saturday meetings at
Madness Comics and Games. There are also game Meetup groups,
and groups in both Arlington and Ft. Worth.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
DFW Area
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GenX has a good selection of games. I am new to Texas and it was the first store I found.

The front left corner of the store is dedicated to miniatures, straight behind that is mostly board games, then there is the magic section and game tables and the other half the store is comics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pcestrada wrote:
I'll be visiting Plano, north of Dallas this coming weekend and was wondering if there were any good game shops that stocked meaty wargames that people can recommend?

Madness is by far the best in the area and you won't have to leave Plano to visit them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stockwell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I just called GenX to ask about Battle of the Bulge '81 -- they said they did not have it (and talked like they never would, but I'm not so sure of that one). Not trying to put them down, I only know what they said about this one game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen X has recently added cosigning of games, i recently sold a game there and you get 75% of the price you set in store credit. Pretty good system, looking forward to doing more in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls