Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Traveling to destroyed Pegasus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
Microbadge: SkepticMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ProfessorMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantlyMicrobadge: I'm a GM!
In BSG 325 we currently have the following situation:

On her turn, Dee wants to travel from Galactica to Pegasus, which has 3 damage tokens already (she wants to repair one). She discards a Treachery to travel. According to the rulebook, Cylons can now play Sabotage, which is then IMMEDIATELY activated. Dee wants to damage Pegasus, which is destroyed. The designers have specified the rule (which is found in the UFAQ) that the damage happens BEFORE traveling (i.e., if the location is damaged where the character travels to, they end up in a damaged location, while if the location is damaged where they travel from, they end up in Sickbay). But since Pegasus is destroyed before Dee travels, she cannot travel there. Where does she end up?

Possibilities are:
1) In Sickbay.
2) She stays in her original location, because she cannot travel because she spent her Move to try to get to Pegasus, which is no longer there.
3) She has to choose another location to travel to.

I personally think the second option is most in line with the rules as written. Is there anything known about this situation? It cannot be the first time that it occurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
I would go with option 3. I would let her go to any location in Galactica or Colnial One. She is already in a raptor flying to Pegasus. She could just order the pilot to fly her to either ship once she sees Pegasus blow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Microbadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Love is like a butterfly:  It goes where it pleases...Microbadge: I'm a Cat Lady!Microbadge: ...and it pleases wherever it goes.Microbadge: I rescued my pets from an animal shelter
I completely agree with the 2nd option. Definitely not the 3rd, that would give people a free 2nd move. She already moved, it just didn't work out. And not Sickbay, since the damage happens first.

Though I don't understand why someone would pick Pegasus in that situation, unless Galactica is also badly damaged (but then why aren't you staying there to fix it?) (or if she's a cylon and wanted to destroy Pegasus, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Microbadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Love is like a butterfly:  It goes where it pleases...Microbadge: I'm a Cat Lady!Microbadge: ...and it pleases wherever it goes.Microbadge: I rescued my pets from an animal shelter
Mundane wrote:
I would go with option 3. I would let her go to any location in Galactica or Colnial One. She is already in a raptor flying to Pegasus. She could just order the pilot to fly her to either ship once she sees Pegasus blow up.
Hmm, when you put it thematically like that, I can maybe be persuaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: SkepticMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ProfessorMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantlyMicrobadge: I'm a GM!
The reason to try to fix Pegasus was that Dee did not have an XO and no really good other action than repairing. There was very little to repair on Galactica, and the Engine Room of Pegasus could be really useful in the late game. We did not think that the Cylons would hold this many Sabotage cards (they played one the round before), so she just discarded Treachery to travel. Now we had to give out a damage token, the question was whether to just sacrifice Pegasus (which isn't THAT useful) or risk damage to FTL. Therefore the conundrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
Microbadge: The Thoughtful Gamer fanMicrobadge: GeekStarter ParticipantMicrobadge: Roll Player fanMicrobadge: Rex: Final Days of an Empire fanMicrobadge: GRR!
Coming from a VTES background, I would pick interpretation 2.
The action has been announced, the cost has been paid, and you complete as many steps of the action as possible. So it fizzles because the target is no longer there.

That being said, this is not VTES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
Microbadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fan
I agree that the second option is best. The first option doesn't seem to make sense, since the damage/destruction is resolved before she gets there, so she's not aboard when it's destroyed.

I think you can justify the third option thematically ("Oh crap, explosion! Better turn around and go somewhere else!"), but I think you can justify opposition to the option thematically, too ("Oh crap, something's happening in space that is dangerous! Better go back to [where I came from] until it's safe to travel again."

I agree that the second option seems to hew mostly closely to the rules. You make a decision on where you're going, resolve the consequences of that decision (if any/if applicable), and then you go. You don't get a de facto second move step just because your first one didn't turn out how you wanted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
That's how we decided to play it in BSG 325. Maybe I should add this one to the UFAQ, given that there is some consensus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Babylon 5 fanMicrobadge: Level 15 BGG posterMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
My vote is #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: [redacted] fanMicrobadge: Level 12 BGG posterMicrobadge: TransgenderMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
My vote is for number 2. I'm trying to think of a good analogy in BSG terms, but none are coming, so I am left relying on well-reasoned mechanics from other games, which seem to lean in favor of 'if you pay the cost for something, but between paying the cost and resolution the action is no longer valid, you lose the action.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan - GandalfMicrobadge: Railways of the World fanMicrobadge: Card-Driven Wargames fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: New York Yankees fan
I would have to go with option 2. Agree with above, in many games if a player pays the cost to take an action but the action is removed in some manner before it can be carried out, then the action is lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GHS memberMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
I would agree about the loss of the movement. Especially since it was as a result of a risk taken by the person doing the movement (discarding treachery is a risk, even in this case where the odds were less than usual, they still weren't zero). So stay where they are, and lose their movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
Since we all seem to agree, I have added it to the UFAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls