69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Yet another AGoT map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Dave
msg tools
A while ago I created a little tool to show the current map without the need of an image editing program.
Until now everytime I updated anything I just wrote so in the post in which I introduced it. From now on these updates will be in here, so that subscribing to changes is easier.
Feel free to use it.

If you would like any feature added to it, post in here.

The Map:

- 2nd Edition setup with house cards.
- 2nd Edition + Dance with Dragons Expansion setup with house cards.
- 2nd Edition + A Feast for Crows Expansion setup (maybe with mistakes, please say if you see one).

Usage

On top of the screen is a semi transparent black bar, when you move your mouse cursor over it a menu should slide down.

Here you can set all things i could think of. Please tell me what I forgot.

I won't explain any field that has a default value, because in my opinion these are quite self explanatory. If you don't think so: tell me.

To place Order Tokens, just enter in the corresponding fields the area, then a colon and a space and then the order you want to have. To place an order in a port just write the area name and append " - Port" (example below).
One thing there is a bit unconvinient. The Orders are named as follows Update: possible values for the same order are separated by commas. All of it is caseinsensitive:
Support -> Support-1, s, support
Support* -> Support-2, s+1, s*, s+1*, support+1, support*, support+1*
Defend -> Defend-1, d, d+1, defend, defend+1
Defend* -> Defend-2, d+2, d*, d+2*, defend+2, defend*, defend+2*
Raid -> Raid-1, r, raid
Raid* -> Raid-2, r*, raid*
Consolidate Power -> Power-1, cp
Consolidate Power* -> Power-2, cp*
March-1 -> March-0, m-1
March+0 -> March-1, m+0
March+1 -> March-2, m, m+1, m*, m+1*

The following example would place a March+1 in Winterfell, March-1 in White Harbor's Port and Raid* in the Shivering Sea.

Quote:
Winterfell: March-2
White Harbor - Port: March-0
The Shivering Sea: Raid-2

To place a power token in an area, just add the areas name in the according textfield. One area per line.

This would add a power token to Karhold and Castle Black:
Quote:
Karhold
Castle Black

Placing units:
If you want to place a Siege Engine, only write "Siege".
Updated: You can also use the following abbreviations: FM, KN, SE, SH
If you want to mark a unit as routed, prefix "routed-" to its name. E.g. "routed-Footman" or "routed-FM".

VSB and Raven tokens:
Below the corresponding influence track where the Icon of the Token is, you can click.
Once clicked, the text "used" should appear over it. Clicking again should remove this text.

How to share your board

Every time you change anything, there should a tinyurl.com link appear in the settings panel. Post this link in the thread. Sometimes it fails to create a valid link (I haven't figured out why, yet), so please check if you have a valid tinyurl link before posting it.

Copieing the URL from your browsers address bar doesn't work, because.

Attention:

Empty lines in one of the textareas can cause an error. At the moment there is no message or anything poping up that an error occured, it just doesn't work. So: Don't use empty lines.

Browser Support:

It worked for me on Chrome and Firefox (latest versions). Should work in Internet Explorer 10 (tell me if it doesn't).
Old Browsers are not supported.

Hint:

Feel free to play around with it. You can't really break anything, as long as we have the link to the version before you destroyed it ;-)

ToDo:

- Add possibility to route units Done.
- Add automatic Tiny-URL-creation Done.
- Add Image-Export Use this workaround
- Add support for Internet Explorer 9
- Add Westeros Cards management
- Make Character Card management more beautiful Done.
- Make Power Token management more beautiful Done.
- Make Power Token management with numbers Done.
- Reposition Troops at Castle Black (Starks troops are nigh invisible) Done.
- Add VSB-Marker (to see if it's already used) Done.
- It's "Crackclaw", not "Cracklaw" … Done.
- Add "Office"-Mode (less colorfull, more spreadsheet like. to not draw the boss' attention)
- Make order-names more readable Done.
- Add compression Done.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hodor Hodor
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You sir (ser), are a hero!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ser Meisseli
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
You've done a great work there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
HodorHodor wrote:
You sir (ser), are a hero!

I'm no ser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoran Vlah
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent work. You should be promoted no knight and some lands should be given to you. Harenhall for start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
What an honour!
The only cursed castle in all of Westeros!

I'd rather take the black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is yet another, but is it the only user-driven one? Is this open for other mods to use, and if so, why aren't more people using it?

This seems extremely impressive and unbelievably useful! Should help get a lot more games going.

re: image export, saw your probs getting that to work. Perhaps you could simply add an export option that enables saving to dropbox or other location, which the post could then reference, or even just a dialogue box to save locally for upload into the post. This might require a moderator, but you have still saved a ton of time generating the pic vs editing gimp files, and the export would save a couple mins copying and pasting etc.

If file size is an issue, perhaps a simplified map using vector graphics such as this one (ignore the stuff around the map, just referring to the map area) could be used to save space. I think it could be reduced to under half of 1 mb.

otherwise, the only thing i find a little inconvenient about your map is that the names on the spaces are very hard to read.

all in all, beautiful work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
AFAIK it is the only user-driven one. A lot of people aren't using it because it seems too complicated to them. Admittedly, parts really aren't very straight forward.

Problem with image export is I can't access the raw image data, because they are hosted on boardgamegeek and not on jsfiddle.
Either I don't understand what you are suggesting or none of it solves that problem.

About the area names … well … I know them without reading :-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
New Version available.
- Power Token management is now with numbers
- VSB and Raven token are "on board" (click the image below the corresponding influence track)
- Crackclaw Point

To update existing maps you have to change the URL. You only have to replace one number. Your current URL should look something like this:
http://jsfiddle.net/Lwbej/7/show/#A-LOT-OF-UNREADABLE-GARBAG...
Change this to:
http://jsfiddle.net/Lwbej/8/show/#THE-SAME-UNREADABLE-GARBAG...

If you had units/powertokens/orders at Cracklaw Point you have to tell them to move to Crackclaw Point.

Comments? Problems?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hodor Hodor
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am using version 8 for PBF#70 now, so far so good Dave!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bookem Dano
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, Dave. Many thanks.

When my next modded game wraps up, I am using your board for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Barbs
United States
California
flag msg tools
Would it be possible to change the coding to for orders and units to more standard ways of PBF?

Ex:
Knight = KN
Ship = SH
FM = FM
Siege Engine = SE

Orders:
M+1* = M+1*
M-1 = M-1
M+0 = M+0

CP*
CP

D+1
D+2*

Support
Support+1

It just seems more intuitive? Otherwise, awesome work!

Also, the orders sometimes are placed on the units. anyway to change this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why, but it constantly shows me the standard map (with the basic 2nd edition setup).
It doesn't matter what I put in the address - the links here, links from PBF games, my own created links .... nothing works.

I'm using Chrome, and a full refresh, close/restart, etc. doesn't help either.
Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
Updated the map to allow KN, SH, FM and SE.
Also new formats for the orders are allowed, see initial post for more information.

To update your current maps you have to do exactly the same as explained here.
Only difference is that you have to insert "11" instead of "8".

Due to the nature of the technique used for those changes (adding some RegExp) and my incompetence using it there might be errors. Consider this a experimental release.
But because I won't do any testing, it won't leave that stage. Unless you guys test it. Detailed(!) bug reports are welcome.

colt45usd wrote:
Also, the orders sometimes are placed on the units. anyway to change this?

Not just sometimes, but every time.
Where would you want to have them placed?
Besides, in the settings panel on the very top there is a "button" reading "Show/Hide Orders on Board". Doesn't that solve the issue of not seeing the units?

Starkiller wrote:
Any ideas?

Do you have Javascript enabled?
Which Operating System and which exact version of Chrome?
When you for example manually add troops to Winterfell and then click anywhere on the map (so that the textarea loses focus), does the unit appear on the map?

Last resort:
Click on one of the above links, press "F12", press "ESC".
The browsers error log should appear. Are there any messages in there?

Does it work with Firefox?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dave42 wrote:

Do you have Javascript enabled?
Which Operating System and which exact version of Chrome?
When you for example manually add troops to Winterfell and then click anywhere on the map (so that the textarea loses focus), does the unit appear on the map?

Last resort:
Click on one of the above links, press "F12", press "ESC".
The browsers error log should appear. Are there any messages in there?

Does it work with Firefox?

Thanks for the reply.

Javascript is indeed enabled.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (Home Premium), and the latest version of Chrome (Version 26.0.1410.64 m).
When I add units manually - it works.

The log shows nothing :/

I've installed Firefox - doesn't work with it either.
Updating manually works - addressing doesn't.
Also, the generated tinyurl never works .. I think it worked before, but currently it always generates an error in tinyurl's site.

Something missing / blocking it on my PC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Barbs
United States
California
flag msg tools
It's not too bad. I didn't realize if you hover over the orders, the order will fade away. I don't know how much trouble it would be, but maybe just have the stationary spots be separate for orders and units. Again, idk how much work this would take. Maybe just something for the next big update lol Thanks for the unit and order shortcut, I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
Starkiller wrote:
When I add units manually - it works.

The log shows nothing :/

I've installed Firefox - doesn't work with it either.
Also, the generated tinyurl never works .. I think it worked before, but currently it always generates an error in tinyurl's site.

After you've changed something on the map, press "F6" (focus should switch to the URL bar), press "ALT + ENTER".
A new tab with the same page should open up. Are you changes in that new tab visible?

Which error message do you get from tinyurl?

colt45usd wrote:
I don't know how much trouble it would be, but maybe just have the stationary spots be separate for orders and units.

Quite a bit. And would be pretty dull work as well. At the moment I have no motivation for that, especially because I don't see a need for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dave42 wrote:

colt45usd wrote:
I don't know how much trouble it would be, but maybe just have the stationary spots be separate for orders and units.

Quite a bit. And would be pretty dull work as well. At the moment I have no motivation for that, especially because I don't see a need for it.

I have to say that I personally quite like it this way - you can see the units when you hover with your mouse, and you know that all the army is right there.

I was wondering if there's any chance to do something about the size of the cards... back in the day, you posted a version of the map with large cards which I use with some of my friends who are newbies and don't remember all the cards by heart. Now, I don't know the cards for Feast for Crows (sadly they haven't published it yet for on demands). Is there a chance to get a version of that with larger cards? Or just find a middle ground between the large card version and the smaller card version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
In the settings panel on the bottom of "Influence Tracks/Supply/…" there are textareas for each house's cards (one per line).
Feel free to change that to any images you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LordOf ThePigs
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
dave42 wrote:
Starkiller wrote:

After you've changed something on the map, press "F6" (focus should switch to the URL bar), press "ALT + ENTER".
A new tab with the same page should open up. Are you changes in that new tab visible?

I've had the same error a few times. Basically, I get a "400 Bad Request" on the image you are trying to load from tinyurl. For me, this seems to be caused by a proxy between me and tinyurl. That proxy doesn't like GET request with ginourmous URIs like the ones you are generating and blocks it.

Is there anyway you can generate the short form of the URL using a POST AJAX request rather than loading an image? It's more likely to go through crappy proxies like the one I am behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LordOf ThePigs
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Starkiller wrote:
I don't know why, but it constantly shows me the standard map (with the basic 2nd edition setup).
It doesn't matter what I put in the address - the links here, links from PBF games, my own created links .... nothing works.

Any ideas?

Can you post the full contents of your address bar after clicking on a link from one of the PBF games (so after the board is shown)?

I wonder if there isn't something in your network/internet path that strips fragment locations from redirect requests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes do appear after pressing F6 -> ALT+ENTER.
The error I get from tinyurl: Error: Unable to find site's URL to redirect to.
The generated address is http://tinyurl.com/uv69kagOJF4tPZuewgrJ

It's a bit hard to copy-paste the URL as BGG reads it a bit incorrectly.
I've trimmed out the inital "http://" so BGG doesn't parse anything, here's what I get:
Quote:
-removed-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
Bug fixes, please update to version 12.

Do you get that same error when you click that link? http://tinyurl.com/VZnJr18eXLfYzsM9AQFP

The map tool link you've posted isn't complete. That's because Chrome cuts it off after a few characters. "few" being an understatement :-)
So it's not useful in finding the error. Especially because I don't suspect the map tool to be erroneous, after all it works fine to display the changes you make to it. The tinyurl URLs seem to be the part not working.

Because it sort of breaks this site I would ask you to remove it from your post.

lordofthepigs wrote:
Is there anyway you can generate the short form of the URL using a POST AJAX request rather than loading an image? It's more likely to go through crappy proxies like the one I am behind.

Not that I know of. Although I could generate an IFrame instead of an image, but I doubt that'd change anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dave42 wrote:

Do you get that same error when you click that link? http://tinyurl.com/VZnJr18eXLfYzsM9AQFP

No, it works fine (just as the other links posted by users), though it still gives me the basic 2nd edition setup map.
Funny thing is, everything's working ok on my work laptop. It's a great map, and my own laptop's really frustrating me.

(Removed the link, pretty much guessed it had to be so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
I have no ideas left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.