Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello friends.

I finally got around to playing a card game recently, after what seemed like years. I'm not talking about games like Jaipur or Botswana, I'm taking a game with a standard deck of 52 cards. I somewhat enjoyed myself. But it felt... old. Not fresh. This is understandable, because an author of a card game these days could only hope to make money if they make a special deck of it, so traditional cards games tend to be, well, dated.

I started thinking about how the core systems of some popular games could be boiled down to a deck of standard playing cards. One thing led to another, and I ended up writing down my thoughts, as well as ten rulesets, each borrowing ideas from other games. The games I drew inspiration from are:

Sleuth
Ticket To Ride
Race For The Galaxy
Incan Gold
Battlestar Galactica
Samurai
Cash N Guns
Hey, That's my Fish
7 Wonders

I didn't try in any way to recreate the experience of those games, because that would be tantamount to a cheap rip-off in my opinion. Instead, I picked elements that I found modern and lacking in standard card games, and appropriated them for a deck.

I have provided a link below for everyone to download the rules of all ten games, and some ramblings by me. Feel free to play them all, and share them around. Any feedback is also greatly appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4gHU-NRUKaicnZiUFpBOVlvOUE/...

Thanks and enjoy!

(EDIT: rules update, fixed spelling errors and general errata)
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid effort, reminiscent of Sackson.

Have you playtested these at all yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Have you playtested these at all yet?

They have all been tested with 2, and one with 3. Some more than others. They all play 2-4 players. Hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
This pamphlet looks interesting, nice job!

I wish it was in a better size format for printing, particularly for double-sided printing. I was about to print this out to have a go this evening but I got bogged down trying to decide how to print it and put it aside for now.

[subscribed]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
I wish this were uploaded to a more idiot-proof website. Why am I fighting popup ads and being asked to download/install software to my hard drive??

Most free upload sites host ads that try to look like download buttons, so you click them. Clicking on the text "Click to start download from Sendspace" will get you the pdf file without any problems!

Chris wrote:
I wish it was in a better size format for printing, particularly for double-sided printing.

I exported it as DIN A5. This means you can print it as a booklet, double sided, on regular A4 paper with your standard adobe reader. It will fold up nicely and only use 5 pages If you are still having troubles though let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I just found out I can use my Google Drive to share files, so I'll change the link to this:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4gHU-NRUKaiNm1UakZiVUdocGs/...

Hopefully that will be easier to read online and download!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. I'm too tired right now to make much out of it, but a quick look through seems promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdotco wrote:
Ok, so I just found out I can use my Google Drive to share files, so I'll change the link to this:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4gHU-NRUKaiNm1UakZiVUdocGs/...

Hopefully that will be easier to read online and download!

Way cool! I survived college by playing D&D, M:tG, Hearts, and 500. Oh... and Social Order (aka The Great Dalmuti).

... edit ...

You might want to try out Dropbox as a file sharing site. I was a Google drive fan, but I'm beginning to like Dropbox more. If nothing else, Dropbox opens up a PDF reader directly rather than using some kind of online previewer like Google.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gat
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Very cool. Thanks for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the game "Court" are the 10s just duds that you try to work around? or is there something missing in the rules? Read through the first 2 games and both look quite interesting! The first game had elements that reminded me of St Petersburg(1$ cheaper per bank) and Dominion(the concept of a growing base of more builds and draws).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
For the game "Court" are the 10s just duds that you try to work around? or is there something missing in the rules?

Yep! Well spotted, that should say 2-10. Thanks for pointing that out! The 10's are very valuable indeed in Court I'll get to fixing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...very generous! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Genius! Not all of these appeal to me, but some sure do. It's been a long time since I played with a regular pack of cards and this might just do it.

Minor nit: in the intro text to Paparazzi "Reiner" is misspelled as "Rainer".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugely generous of you, and I will definitely try these out and keep a printout of the rules in my going away bag (along with a pack of cards, of course)!

Hope the composing goes well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
solclaim wrote:
Looks interesting. I'm too tired right now to make much out of it, but a quick look through seems promising.

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Very cool.

Is the set up diagram in Black Snake correct? The rules say to put 3 cards down for open draw cards but the diagram seems to show 4.

I played two games of Industry and one of Hatchet at lunch. In Hatchet I was trying to lay cards in ways that would allow me to get multiple pips on future moves, while disguising my intent. My opponent was just winging it. Alas, he won, so perhaps my efforts were in vain. He also wasn't very impressed by it. But I will try again.

Industry was enjoyed by both of us. I won both with a heavy office/factory/office type opening, finishing with houses. And I'm sure this is an unbeatable strategy!!! More exclamations!!! (Just joking!)

Anyway, bravo to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Snake's turn example seems to have a bug in it: you say laying down the 3, 2, and Ace will give 6 points, but the chart suggests that it's 5 points.

I'm confused about track laying in general, though: do you have to continue the direction that was previously used? If one player plays an 8 on a 7, is that track now "ascending" for all players, or just for that track play?

In T.O.D., getting an Ace in your mystery seems like it would really suck, as even if you know exactly which cards constitute your mystery, you have a 50% chance of guessing the time wrong. Why not just make Aces count as ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheapass did something similar to this: http://www.cheapass.com/freegames/pokersuite

They didn't base it off of other games like you did (well, it is called the Poker Suite, but you know what I mean) but they're still some interesting "new" games to play with cards. Your set just really reminded me of it, and I love games with a standard deck (it gives me an excuse to pull out some of my many many decks...) and figured maybe some people here would enjoy it as well.

Thanks for your contributions to the Wonderful World of Gaming!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gat
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I had a chance to do a closer read. I'll be trying out at least four of these. Tipped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback and response so far guys, I'm very overwhelmed! Here's some answers to questions asked...

srand wrote:
Minor nit: in the intro text to Paparazzi "Reiner" is misspelled as "Rainer".

How embarrassing. Thanks for finding that

GrimJester wrote:
Is the set up diagram in Black Snake correct? The rules say to put 3 cards down for open draw cards but the diagram seems to show 4.

The shaded card is supposed to represent the draw pile. I'll get to labelling those cards as well so there is no confusion. Thanks!

Ben Finkel wrote:
Black Snake's turn example seems to have a bug in it: you say laying down the 3, 2, and Ace will give 6 points, but the chart suggests that it's 5 points.

Well spotted, that should say 5. In a previous version it was 6, which is why the mistake is still there. Fixed!

Quote:
I'm confused about track laying in general, though: do you have to continue the direction that was previously used? If one player plays an 8 on a 7, is that track now "ascending" for all players, or just for that track play?

Yeah maybe I should explain it better. Only the top card of each track is ever showing. You may always play ascending or descending cards on top of any track, i.e. you never have to sift through any track pile. You must play the cards in order though, so the last card of the sequence is the new top card. E.G. you can't play (in order) a 5, 6 on a 6, as that would be changing the direction mid-lay. Nor can you put the sequence 7, 5, 6 on an 8, because that would be out of sequence.

Quote:
In T.O.D., getting an Ace in your mystery seems like it would really suck, as even if you know exactly which cards constitute your mystery, you have a 50% chance of guessing the time wrong. Why not just make Aces count as ones?

You're right, this is confusing and needs to be clarified. That rule is only relevant if you are telling people the Hour Of Death before the game starts. It's position needs to be changed in the rules. Thanks!

I'll post a refreshed version soon. Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here is the latest version:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4gHU-NRUKaicnZiUFpBOVlvOUE/...

I'll post it in the top post as well. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ovv ovv
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Heippa hei kaikille. :)
badge
Boo! This here monster is chasing you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice looking. I'll try to sneak some of these in next time I go and meet my family. They really like to play a lot of "standard" card games, but pretty much refuse to try any "real" games I try to show them.

Perhaps I'll get some of my new Kickstarter-bought decks and sneak some more game-y cardgames their way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
sdotco wrote:

I exported it as DIN A5. This means you can print it as a booklet, double sided, on regular A4 paper with your standard adobe reader. It will fold up nicely and only use 5 pages If you are still having troubles though let me know!

No one in the US uses A4 paper. It's fairly close to US Letter size (which is 8.5" x 11" compared to 8.3" x 11.7"), but if your margins are tight it could be a problem (that said we could always shrink it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice looking collection here! I can't wait to try some of these. Ironically, as soon as I began reading the rules for Industry my artistic side starting to scheme about how best to design custom ArtsCow cards for it.

Will you be adding any of these to the BGG database? From what I've seen, they seem fully flushed out enough for inclusion, though I haven't tried any yet.

In any event, think I'll print this out (and the CheapAss pokersuite) to include in the back cover of the penguin encyclopedia of card games.

Edit to add: I've just been reading through these rules, and I just wanted to clarify the scoring of Paparazzi: Am I correct in assuming the bonus points are acquired only when you collect a celebrity, and that the suit of the celebrity is irrelevant? Also, the rules of Paparazzi reminds me a lot of a little-known Icehouse game: Edges

Edit to add again: A few comments without having played any of these, but having read through them.

* Industry is the game which most excites me. I love the paring-down of this mechanic, and if it works well, I could see playing this one a lot.

* Your setup description is a little unclear in Turncoat. You don't mention that you shuffle and use the rest of the deck after removing the 10s and Jokers. I figured it out, but worth clarifying. Since players can't add spies, are they just there are a balancing mechanic? I'd be interested to hear how well this works with two, as generally the saboteur format is harder to pull off with lower player counts.

* Break In seems like it might be a fun little time-killer.

* Black Snake is another one I'm eager to try out. I'm curious what incentive there is to lay more than 4 cards -- burning through the deck?

* Jackhammer definitely raises my eyebrow. Most shrinking-board games (Amazons, H!TMF! (maybe Zertz and Clans too)) that I can think of have multiple pawns or pieces to move. Can this format work with only one pawn? I don't know, just thinking aloud. Interested to try this one, too.

Hope you don't take any of these remarks as criticisms! I'm just thinking out loud, mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ovvovv wrote:
Very nice looking. I'll try to sneak some of these in next time I go and meet my family. They really like to play a lot of "standard" card games, but pretty much refuse to try any "real" games I try to show them.

Thankyou! This is exactly one of the reasons I made these. A lot of people are intimidated by games involving elements they don't know (people are generally shy to learn games, in my experience) but everybody knows their way around a deck of cards, so these games could work in that regard.

Chris Ferejohn wrote:
No one in the US uses A4 paper.

Wow, I did not know that. If it doesn't shrink properly, I'll go ahead and make a half-letter version. I just tried on my word editing software, but it exploded the document into an ugly mess, so if shrinking is a tenable option, go with that otherwise I'll make it.

Spencer C wrote:
Nice looking collection here! I can't wait to try some of these. Ironically, as soon as I began reading the rules for Industry my artistic side starting to scheme about how best to design custom ArtsCow cards for it.

That's ironic but very cool! If you ever get around to doing so, let me know!

Spencer C wrote:
Will you be adding any of these to the BGG database? From what I've seen, they seem fully flushed out enough for inclusion

I am considering it, but I would like to get some more opinions on the games before I immortalise them in the database

Spencer C wrote:
the scoring of Paparazzi: Am I correct in assuming the bonus points are acquired only when you collect a celebrity, and that the suit of the celebrity is irrelevant?

The suit of the celeb is important for the bonus scoring, e.g. if you collect the Queen and Jack of Diamonds, for example, you get 2 bonus points. I might add a scoring example in the rules to make it more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.