Popular Tags: bad_deals [+] enc [+] [View All]
Edd Allard
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t usually post a review until I have a game in hand, but the print and play version is so well developed that I am comfortable in my assessment as the “final” product can only be better.

Emperor’s New Clothes is one of the most original, and remarkably well produced games of its kind … ever! Unlike some games with pasted on themes, this game fully immerses the players in the roles, events, and plot of Hans Christian Andersen’s classic tale.

The groundbreaking ROOS system has rendered components of the highest quality, with graphical detail the likes of which no gamer has ever seen before. The interaction between players is such a remarkable recreation of the positional jockeying between the emperor’s advisors, the machinations of the con men, and the innocent (but ultimately over-wise) observations of the lone child, that you might mistakenly believe you have been teleported back to another time and place.

From the moment you look at the vivid components, you know you’ve gotten something special. The colors, detail, and opulence are almost overwhelming. And, the fact that only the most avid gamers can see it for what it really is – well, it’s nice to finally have a product that is worthy of our noble pursuit.

The gameplay is rich, highly interactive, and constantly changing. There are certainly some deep strategies and subtleties that I have not even begun to explore – I’m still so overwhelmed by the components themselves.

Bottom line on this game … I give it three thumbs up (I borrowed one from my wife). This is truly a gem.

As a final note, I admit that I’m new to the Hoke’s brand, but I can imagine several other stories that are well suited to the ROOS system. In fact, I believe they should seriously look at the perennial favorite, Stone Soup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edralla wrote:
graphical detail the likes of which no gamer has ever seen before.

Well played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Despite 2 edits, you still have a typo in there.

The correct spelling of " " is . And it's not really a spoiler in any case, since it's written quite clearly in the introduction of the rulebook - anyone can easily look it up. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mikkelson
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Indeed, I can state quite literally that nothing is better than this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
snopes wrote:
Indeed, I can state quite literally that nothing is better than this game.

Pshh.. David, you can't believe everything people say! There's a sight on the internet that debunks rumors like this. I think you should look it up there to see what THEY have to say about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
edralla wrote:
...the print and play version is so well developed that I am comfortable in my assessment as the “final” product can only be better.

I took this into Kinkos and it was like reliving the whole gaming experience. I seriously started thinking that the employees were pulling my leg. I would try to print it on my own but I don't know if my setup can handle the rich detail and colour gamut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I must have becoming more clever because I can actually read this review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for the expansions!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I hear about this 'game', the more annoyed I bloody well get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Ardron
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
I am with you on this. While it was funny when first introduced the "joke" has long since worn off. What I find even more annoying is the seeming elitism displayed by those that profess to “get the joke”, folks ITS NOT THAT CLEVER! If it had been run as a one or two day campaign it might have worked, now it is just old and stale. Those that have played the game (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) need to find more productive pastimes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
nardron wrote:
(nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
nardron wrote:
I am with you on this. While it was funny when first introduced the "joke" has long since worn off. What I find even more annoying is the seeming elitism displayed by those that profess to “get the joke”, folks ITS NOT THAT CLEVER! If it had been run as a one or two day campaign it might have worked, now it is just old and stale. Those that have played the game (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) need to find more productive pastimes

Geeze you're a real sweetheart aren't you
Not everyone saw this when you did Neil. Perhaps we're all entitled to poke fun and have a laugh without the kill-joy police telling us that they're tired of the joke so we should STFU.
Why are you going out of your way to be annoyed about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love a good joke, especially at the expense of the arrogant, the elitist, or the powerful. But this is a joke, unlike the actual Emperor's New Clothes, is on kickstarter backers, on anyone who doesn't read carefully enough, on gamers, and frankly on anyone too stupid to get the joke.

When all is revealed on April 1 and the monies end up supposedly sent to whatever charity or back to kickstarter or even refunded or whatever, Mr Liu is still going to pat himself on the back and turn it into an "brilliant" article on this experiment.

Just ask yourself who the Emperor is in Mr. Liu's story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Ardron
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Actually I am not all that annoyed with the campaign, other than the lenght of it (although I guess it makes it more realistic). I am not so happy about the people jumping in, insisting that they have played the game and it is fun (guess I outgrew roleplaying decades ago)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mikkelson
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lunga wrote:
I can't wait for the expansions!

I've heard rumors that the publisher will be issuing a contraction later in the year that eliminates two dice and some of the role cards for faster gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:

I love a good joke, especially at the expense of the arrogant, the elitist, or the powerful. But this is joke, unlike the actual Emperor's New Clothes, is on kickstarter backers, on anyone who doesn't read carefully enough, on gamers, and frankly on anyone too stupid to get the joke.

When all is revealed on April 1 and the monies end up supposedly sent to whatever charity or back to kickstarter or even refunded or whatever, Mr Liu is still going to pat himself on the back and turn it into an "brilliant" article on this experiment.

Just ask yourself who is the Emperor is in Mr. Liu's story.

I fully get the joke, and backed the project because I got the joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
snopes wrote:
Lunga wrote:
I can't wait for the expansions!

I've heard rumors that the publisher will be issuing a contraction later in the year that eliminates two dice and some of the role cards for faster gameplay.
The only thing that is being removed between First and Second edition is a bateaux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Ganybyte wrote:

I love a good joke, especially at the expense of the arrogant, the elitist, or the powerful. But this is joke, unlike the actual Emperor's New Clothes, is on kickstarter backers, on anyone who doesn't read carefully enough, on gamers, and frankly on anyone too stupid to get the joke.

Just ask yourself who is the Emperor is in Mr. Liu's story.

I fully get the joke, and backed the project because I got the joke.

So you're just one of the sycophants laughing behind your hand at the emperor while buying your own outfit from the "tailor"?

Congratulations on avoiding being a victim of the joke...or have you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.