Subject: Dragoni Variant: Part 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing as the Russians in a multiplayer playthrough of The Great War in Europe: Deluxe Edition, I was interested in learning a bit more about the Eastern Front in WWI, and was also interested in finding the biggest, "monstery-est" treatment I could find. I'd recently returned to tabletop wargames after an almost 20 year absence, and was really interested in learning something big and complex, sort of as a personal challenge.

1914: Twilight in the East seemed to fit that bill. Highly detailed, 48 pages of rules, 5 maps, epic scale - it was all there!

So in the process of prepping the game and reading the rules, my issue of C3i Magazine #26 arrived, and, conveniently, had a whole section devoted to TitE! Having already played the "historical" Russian front in GWiE, I thought it would be interesting to see things from a different Austro-Hungarian perspective, and decided to try out the Dragoni Variant Scenario from the magazine. This is a variation on the setup of the Galicia Scenario from the base game. There was a full half-sheet of modified counters to use in it, so this wouldn't be some mild tweaking - this would be full-on alt-history!

This scenario speculates on what would have happened had the AH forces pulled strength from the Balkan Front, and concentrated strength in the 1st, 4th and 3rd Armies, leaving their right flank lightly defended until additional Balkan Front troops could arrive to defend, as well as added a 5th Army group to advance on the Russian right at Ivangorod.

Here's the basic setup of the forces:

Right away, it was clear that the Russian Fourth and Fifth Armies would be hard-pressed to handle the assault coming from the AH First, Fourth and Third Armies. The AH forces moved quickly and charged northward toward Lublin and Chelm, respectively:

With the AH Third Army, I though I'd get creative - with the Fourth Army driving on Chelm proper, I thought the I might send the Third Army across the Bug River to try and drive on Vladimir-Volynski - this might serve to split the Russian Fifth Army, allowing for one or both objectives to be captured more easily.

So the AH 12th Corps slipped across the Bug well south of Vladimir-Volynski...

On the AH Right, the Russian Third and Eighth Armies had substantial forces at their disposal, but an awful lot of ground to cover...

On the AH Left, the Fifth Army slowly starts slogging toward Ivangorod. It was clear here that supply was going to be an issue - the AH side only gets 4 RR Engineering points per turn, just enough to slowly advance their railhead into Poland. With the Fifth Army Depots confined to that single railway, a lot of time would be spent with those supply trains on their extended sides...

For Part 2: fighting in earnest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.