Subject: What's your h-index? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: h-index [+] interesting [+] [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are gamers who only focus in two or three games and play them a lot, other people who play a lot of different games only once or twice, and then there are those gamers who play lots of different games many and many times.

One way to easily spot those gamers is calculating their h-index (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-index): a higher index will mean people who play many times many games.

Poll: What’s your h-index?
The h-index is an index that attempts to measure both the productivity and impact of the published work of a scientist or scholar.
I've seen it used in Friendless' web (http://friendless.servegame.org/dynamic/index.html) to measure the number of games played by BGG users, as explained here: http://www.mikkosgameblog.com/2010/12/whats-your-h-index/
This poll is to create a survey as of March 2013 of the h-index of BGG users.

To calculate your h-index sort your games by number of plays and start counting them. Your h-index is the index of the last game in the sorted list that you have played a number of times that is equal or more than the position of the game in the sorted list.

For example, this list has h-index of 4:

- Game 1: 23 plays
- Game 2: 21 plays
- Game 3: 18 plays
- Game 4: 9 plays
- Game 5: 3 plays
What’s your h-index?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
51-60
61-70
71-80
81-90
91-100
100+
Other
      2663 answers
Poll created by marticabre

Update 2016:

EXAMPLES. All of these lists have an h-index of 4:

List 1

- Game 1: 23 plays
- Game 2: 21 plays
- Game 3: 18 plays
- Game 4: 9 plays
- Game 5: 3 plays

To reach h-index of 5, Game 5 should be played two more times.

List 2

- Game 1: 312 plays
- Game 2: 305 plays
- Game 3: 299 plays
- Game 4: 4 plays
- Game 5: 4 plays

To reach h-index of 5, both Games 4 and 5 should be played one more time.

List 3

- Game 1: 4 plays
- Game 2: 4 plays
- Game 3: 4 plays
- Game 4: 4 plays

To reach h-index of 5, all Games 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 should be played one more time.

List 4

- Game 1: 12 plays
- Game 2: 11 plays
- Game 3: 8 plays
- Game 4: 8 plays

To reach h-index of 5, Game 5 should be played one more time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was shocked that I'd played at least 16 games 16 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we counting expansions?
That makes a big difference for me. Well, 8 vs. 11, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12 for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 24 for me. Taluva.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Meyers
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 5 for me, but I've only been logging plays since the beginning of the year! A number of games are climbing the list.

Edit: adding plays I'm sure of from the recent past before I started logging would bring me up to 8, perhaps 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is 23.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
This would seem to mostly depend on how long you had been recording plays on BGG more than anything else. My h index is 7 based on my recorded plays on BGG, but I just started recording my games last year. If I had a history of played over the last 20 years I'd expect my h rating would be in the 20 to 30 range at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
High 20s if I don't count my recent focus on the 18xx, low mid 30s if I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
MyParadox wrote:
I was shocked that I'd played at least 16 games 16 times.

I am also 16. One more game of The Resistance makes me better!

Wait, is the higher number better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourteen. I might nudge myself into the next bracket this weekend, just because I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I state the h-index of my scientific publications? I've got a few of those that have been referenced a couple of times (1 lead author, and a bunch as a coauthor. Look up Barker I* and iit's the earth science publications) It's probably higher thanmy BGG h-index heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
High 20s if I don't count my recent focus on the 18xx, low mid 30s if I do.

Every 18xx game should count as 3 regular games at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are "0" and "Other" trap answers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2017 Jun 14th - 18th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 2 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
12 for me. Looks like I'm right in the middle of the bell curve.

Edit: 359 distinct plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Mine is 14; Modern Art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to say my own h-index, which is 16, as many other people round here.

With 50 votes it looks like about 15 is the average number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjeyhmis wrote:
Are we counting expansions?
That makes a big difference for me. Well, 8 vs. 11, anyway.

I'd say not except if it creates a different game.

For example, the 6 player expansion for Catan I'd say it's not a different game, but the France map of Powergrid is a different game. So totally subjective. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jpjandrade
Brazil
flag msg tools
The thing about the h-index, though, for both papers and boardgames alike, is that it's not a good stat out of context. What's more relevant is what is the h-index of a scientist relative to his number of publications. Ie, if there are two scientists with h-index 10 but one has 15 papers and the other 50, the first one publishes higher impact papers while the second one publishes mostly irrelevant stuff. There are many other criticisms of h-index, most particular to scientific publications themselves, but this one I feel it's the most relevant for this discussion, which I think, btw, it's a pretty interesting one.

That said, my h-index for board games is 6 and I have 14 games, 3 of them purchased last week (and therefore were only played once / not played)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be expected that geeks who play lots of games just a few times each are less likely to record their games and so skew your poll towards a higher h-index?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Are "0" and "Other" trap answers?

They're not traps but catch-alls to make a closure.

There can be someone who never played a game, so they can choose an h-index of 0, and there can be weird situations where the user does not agree with any of the other answers, so in this case they can choose Other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
Wouldn't it be expected that geeks who play lots of games just a few times each are less likely to record their games and so skew your poll towards a higher h-index?

Maybe. But why would geeks who play a few times each game would not like to record them?

It could also be the other way round: people who play only a couple of games so many times that totally neglect to record their games, as it's the only thing they play.

We'll see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpjandrade wrote:
The thing about the h-index, though, for both papers and publications alike, is that it's not such good stat out of context. What's more relevant is what is the h-index of a scientist relative to his number of publications. Ie, if there are two scientists with h-index 10 but one has 15 papers and the other 50, the first one publishes higher impact papers while the second one publishes mostly irrelevant stuff. There are many other criticisms of h-index, some particular to scientific field, but this one I feel it's the most relevant for this discussion, which I think, btw, it's a pretty interesting one.

That said, my h-index for board games is 6 and I have 14 games, 3 of them purchased last week (and therefore were only played once / not played)

I think this is different. All the geeks have the same number of games at their disposal (well, more or less the same games). So it's their choosing and interest to play them more or less times.

They don't have to create games and be referenced by other people; the games are in the market or P'NP and you can also play games owned by other people, so the h-index can give more information here on BGG than in the science field, where obviously the higher the number of papers published the higher the h-index can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jpjandrade
Brazil
flag msg tools
marticabre wrote:
I think this is different. All the geeks have the same number of games at their disposal (well, more or less the same games). So it's their choosing and interest to play them more or less times.

They don't have to create games and be referenced by other people; the games are in the market or P'NP and you can also play games owned by other people, so the h-index can give more information here on BGG than in the science field, where obviously the higher the number of papers published the higher the h-index can be.
That actually makes sense, hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking of the index for a personal collection usage metric, ie, "Am I making the most out of my games", which my criticism applies, but if you think of it as an overall metric for all games, my point is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpjandrade wrote:
marticabre wrote:

That actually makes sense, hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking of the index for a personal collection usage metric, ie, "Am I making the most out of my games", which my criticism applies, but if you think of it as an overall metric for all games, my point is irrelevant.

Well, using the h-index as a kind of usage % of your own games, the h-index can be used but then your point arises, that the h-index meaning will depend on the collection size. That's right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.