Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Muñoz de la Peña
Spain
Seville
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played yesterday our first game with my P&P copy of the USSR map.

I donwloaded the files from:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79156/soviet-union-map...

I am aware they are outdated, but I wanted to used them anyway.

We played a three player game. In general we had great fun and is a very interesting map with substantial rules that affect game play

We had some rules question which I resume next:

- There are spaces with iron mines and factories. We played assuming that iron mines and factories could only be built in those spaces. This made the Magnitogorsk complex the most important place on the map.

- Foreing market iron and coal could only be used if there were no iron or coal avaialable anywhere in the map, that is, even if the target place is not connected to the place where the resources are available. This was for us the most interesting rule change.

The rest of the rules were clear, although some questions were raised (as always) with respect to ship lanes and overbuilds.

The game went fast. The short term cars were used almost every turn. All players built more or less the same industries, so the VP count was very similar. There was a real fight for turn order to get access to certain cards.

The game was decided by the Magnitogorsk complex. Two players build two factories each, leaving me out of the game, both for the 5VP swing, and also because I could not build any of my factories. This make us think we may have played wrong. In any case, the Magnitogorsk complex could be toned down.

The rule that forces player to use the resources in the map before accesing the foreing market was really interesting. Iron and coal mines were really more important than in standard games, not only as a way to win VP, but to force players to build somewhere else.

There is plenty of space in a three player game. I suppose that the map is more suited for 4/5 players, but in any case it worked really nice.

In any case, great map.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for trying the game David. I appreciate your feedback.

Those map and rules were provided for playtesting many months ago, so things have evolved a lot since then. The map has changed as well as the rules. But here are some quick comments anyway...

What I tried to do is to streamline the rules as much as possible in order to keep the most meaningful rules in terms of decision for players. One or two rules were quite thematic, but brainfree decisions, so I removed them.

Moreover, I think the final map is a lot more balanced than the one you tried. While playtesting, I realized some locations were a lot more interesting than others (mainly the Stalino/Mariupol area).

I kept the same mechanic associated with the USSR planning display though, but I modified it in order to reduce the number of wasted cards. Magnitogorsk bonus has been completely changed.

I also provided specific rules for 3 players.

Rules are done. I have to review them a last time for typos before to post them. I should be able to do that very shortly.

Thanks!

K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.